Mac Book Pro - Yes or No?

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking to replace my laptop (and the PC I use for photo editing) and everybody keeps telling me how good Macbook Pros are for this.
So, do I take the plunge and get myself a Macbook Pro, or stick down the windows route? Please let me know your opinions good or bad on the Apple. Is it quick enough? Is the screen ok for photo editing etc etc...

ta
Martin

I've just moved to one from a lenovo.

The screen is fantastic in comparison.

I also run parallels on the MacBook to run any windows apps that don't have a Mac equivalent.

Photoshop and light room run well on it, but I couldn't compare to a PC as the Mac is more powerful than any laptop I've had.

I really like it, but a ciuple of things annoy me - the lack of a right click (click with two fingers instead) and the lack of a proper vga port. Also, only 2 USB ports on mine (13" screen)

Apart from that- I have no intention of going back to PC at the moment - I will leave that for work.

Last edited:
I bought 15 inch macbook pro to replace the 3 year old PC I had. So far I like it a lot, the screen is nice but the glossy finish gets dusty/dirty quite fast.

I'm a photography and multimedia student, so having somewhat powerful laptop was a must. So far it copes with photoshop CS5 better then the old PC, same goes for Lightroom 2.

What I would suggest is that you go to Apple store and try one of them. I used to have Linux before and use Windows only when I needed Lightroom, so MacOS kinda felt familiar already :)

the lack of a right click (click with two fingers instead)

Have you tried to click in the right bottom corner? On mine it works as right click.

Last edited:
Mac everytime, the sony might be good but its not a Mac.

I converted a few months ago, you will never look back, no virus detector, no programs running in the background, no cheap case(aluminium).

depends.. if you spend an equal amount on a windows based laptop youll most likely get the same sort of result.

also worth checking if you can work on the glossy screen, otherwise apple will want more cash for the "anti glare" matte screen.

I'm now on my second mac (macbook pro), only reason for upgrading was the fact that the previous laptop, now 7yrs old, wasn't quick enough anymore....... but hasten to add it was still faster than a year old dual-core windows laptop!

Would say yes also, build of thrum is great and performance will be better than a laptop IMO

Much much better on what way?

Better battery life, better screens, lighter, better build quality and most important of all cheaper.

You pays your money, you make your choice, there was a time I would of agreed but Apple really do take the mick. Look at the iPad £600 for a device with 32gb storage? About as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

Look at the iPad £600 for a device with 32gb storage? About as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

it's just an expensive toy... I'm sure people on here wouldn't hesitate to buy a DSLR new at £2000 (based upon a rough estimate of £ comparison between ipad and other makes)

The Apple matte screen is the best I have seen on a laptop, its not cheap but the screen is a VERY important investment for image editing IMHO.

Better battery life, better screens, lighter, better build quality and most important of all cheaper.

You pays your money, you make your choice, there was a time I would of agreed but Apple really do take the mick. Look at the iPad £600 for a device with 32gb storage? About as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

Ah - an apple hater.........

Better build quality??? Seriously? Don't think so.

How many businesses use Sony? Why? Poor build quality, poor reliability when used on the road. Most businesses use either Lenovo or Dell. Because they work well under duress.

Cheaper? Yes, but also lower quality.

As for a 32gb Ipad being as much use as a chocolate teapot.... Mines a lot more use thanks. Its not all about storage....... Its what you use it for.

We could go on all night, lets just agree to differ.

it's just an expensive toy... I'm sure people on here wouldn't hesitate to buy a DSLR new at £2000 (based upon a rough estimate of £ comparison between ipad and other makes)

Actually no - its far from a toy.

For many people its a really useful business tool.

Actually no - its far from a toy.

For many people its a really useful business tool.

I agree mate, I would love one, but for me it would just be a toy so I'll stick with my lappy

Hmm had a via (around £800)... was at that point the nicest looking laptop id ever had. Unfortunately 14 months later was only fit for the bin :( Had a cheap Acer after that (£350) and that lasted a similar amount of time until it was literally falling apart.

Macbook I've had 2 years now (£1000) and in all honesty its just as good as the day I had it. I was sceptical about the whole mac thing as I liked building my own PC's and tweaking them etc but I'm now a convert.

I guess peoples milage will vary though. Not regretted getting mine in the slightest though and know my next laptop will 100% be a mac again though have no need or interest in replacing it in the foreseeable future

I really don't know what people do to their laptops... We have several here (including one that is 5 years old) and apart from the abomination that is Vista, they all run very well. No need to upgrade, and certainly no problems with them only being fit for the bin. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than macs, and even if we go through 4 in 10 years, the cost of ownership will still be less than if we bought a single mbp and let it struggle on for 10 years. Clearly, your mileage may vary - especially if you value form over function ;)

Ageold debate, I made the move 18 months ago Best computer thing I did for a long time. Go down the Apple shop & have a play.

Hmm had a via (around £800)... was at that point the nicest looking laptop id ever had. Unfortunately 14 months later was only fit for the bin :( Had a cheap Acer after that (£350) and that lasted a similar amount of time until it was literally falling apart.

That pretty much mirrors my pc laptop experience. I've had a variety of them from £350 to well over a grand and they've all died after a similar period. I think the Acers have to be the worst I've seen for build quality, no matter the price point they all seem to be junk....

Everything Mac is overpriced and overrated. Get a Sony Vaio, much, much better and a lot, lot cheaper.

I have used nothing but windows (and always high end) until a cpl months ago when I bought a 15" unibody MacBook Pro. I am not an apple fanatic, and OSX has its flaws. I wouldn't say it's better than Windows 7. They are different. BUT the MBP is a fantastic piece of hardware. UNREAL build quality (surpasses anything Sony do), great screens, good specs - and battery life on the latest ones is amazing - again better than anything sony do. I used to mock Mac's for not having as much software available as Windows machines, but that really isnt the case any more.

I think im fairly unbiased - I still run a windows laptop as well for specific applications (CAD software) and i can honestly say MacBooks are superb. Have a play in an apple store, and if you like, buy (AND, if you shop around on the internet MacBook Pros can be had at prices that compare very well to Windows based machines similarly specced.

to mr "Everything Mac is overpriced and overrated" ....*******s mate! Apple stuff sells at a premium but that doesn't make it overpriced. You pay for design AND quality. People are happy to pay it and few people who buy into the Apple world complain and get out. They tend to stay loyal customers. That is not the mark of a brand selling overrated products

A friend of mine got hit by a taxi in london and managed to bend his macbook pro (G5 model about 2 weeks old) and apple replaced it FOC. The thing worked fine but if put down on a flat surface rocked on opposite corners. he phoned apple to say the casing was bent and they may have assumed it was down to a manufacturing fault as the machine was still working 100% fine. They sent him a replacement and gave him a week to transfer his docs over then collected the bent one.

try getting service like that out of dell or toshiba! sat here grumbling at a 2yr old satelite pro laptop that overheats after 10mins and toshiba don't even want to bother offering advice about, at least I now know how long they expect their machines to last.

Last edited:
Go to an Apple store and try one. Try to go when you think it'll be quiet. You'll get no hassle from staff and you can stay as long as you want ( Provided the store is open).

WARNING Do not take credit card as you could make a hasty decision.... Just come back the next day :LOL:

Not sure I'd want to have to photo edit on a laptop as I have yet to see any laptop with a screen that comes close to a monitor screen quality wise.

I'm pretty much certain that almost every laptop currently available uses a 6 bit TN panel screen and that an 8 bit IPS panel (which gives far more accurate colours) is only available on standalone monitors.

Having said that, the ipad DOES have an IPS screen so perhaps we will start to see macbooks and other laptops with IPS screens before too long.

Ah - an apple hater.........

Better build quality??? Seriously? Don't think so.

How many businesses use Sony? Why? Poor build quality, poor reliability when used on the road. Most businesses use either Lenovo or Dell. Because they work well under duress.

Cheaper? Yes, but also lower quality.

As for a 32gb Ipad being as much use as a chocolate teapot.... Mines a lot more use thanks. Its not all about storage....... Its what you use it for.

We could go on all night, lets just agree to differ.

Not at all I speak from experience. I've had both and I've found the Sony SZ series to be a more robust and reliable piece of kit.

Apple do make great products but some of them are much more about style over substance.

A friend of mine got hit by a taxi in london and managed to bend his macbook pro (G5 model about 2 weeks old) and apple replaced it FOC. The thing worked fine but if put down on a flat surface rocked on opposite corners. he phoned apple to say the casing was bent and they may have assumed it was down to a manufacturing fault as the machine was still working 100% fine. They sent him a replacement and gave him a week to transfer his docs over then collected the bent one.

try getting service like that out of dell or toshiba! sat here grumbling at a 2yr old satelite pro laptop that overheats after 10mins and toshiba don't even want to bother offering advice about, at least I now know how long they expect their machines to last.

however they refused to acknowledge an intermittant fault with several of our macbooks.

dell business support has been nothing but faultless for us.. server PSU turned up within 4 hours, now thats support :D

Last edited:
Depends if you get on with OSX really. OSX and W7 are pretty much of a muchness, however you can also install W7 onto a mac if you don't like OSX. The problem is you can't find out until you actually use one. Playing in the apple store doesn't count. You may get a cheaper PC lappy but the pros are nicely built. If looking for a PC alternative then I would look to Dell or Lenovo and NOT sony- they really are overpriced trash!

In all, its your choice, there is not much between the two platforms and people who may say there is obviously haven't used both in their most recent iterations.

If I were going to buy a lappy now I would put my money on a new 11" air. ;)

really? while i recognise its a wonderful bit of engineering its just an overpriced netbook..

Yep but a beautiful and small one with a half decent processor. I had an old Dell mini 9. It was not good for very much, even when I put Ubuntu on it. With XP it was dire. Not that I am getting one, I recently got an iPad! :eek:

Yep but a beautiful and small one with a half decent processor. I had an old Dell mini 9. It was not good for very much, even when I put Ubuntu on it. With XP it was dire. Not that I am getting one, I recently got an iPad! :eek:
Not sure what it has for the money that couldn't be done for 50% lower cost.... Other than a very sexy case.

Not sure what it has for the money that couldn't be done for 50% lower cost.... Other than a very sexy case.

Its a good question but my wife has a similarly specced Dell inspiron 11z, its not 50% lower and its rather bloody flimsy. I think to get a lappy as hard wearing and as small you would be spending similar amounts. Not sure why I am sticking up for the thing but it is at a good price point/build quality/performance price point as far as I can see!

Hmm... the Inspiron 11z comes in around £300 now, so that's a LOT less than 50% of the price. Or am I missing something here...

I'm now on my second mac (macbook pro), only reason for upgrading was the fact that the previous laptop, now 7yrs old, wasn't quick enough anymore....... but hasten to add it was still faster than a year old dual-core windows laptop!

Really? And what processor do you get in a macbook pro that you don't get in a PC laptop? They run the same these days (or can).

Mac's you pay a premium for the style and performance, which you can get in a PC or laptop but you'll have to hunt around. Apple make it all available in one package. Reliability has been no different to our Dell or lenovo Laptops (we run with these and various Macs), however we have been caught on on frequent Mac OS upgrades that various software requires and that's £25 a time, oh and on the 24" iMac debarcle. So poor Apple don't have a 24" screen anymore so now only have the £900 27" screen, but I suppose that's only £100 more than the 24" was.

We've a £3.3K top of the range dell laptop, so you can get real expensive with PC laptops as well.

I've no problem with Macbooks, I'd probably have one but couldn't justify spending nearly twice as much on the spec I'd like and then bootcamping it because I wasn't about to replace my PC versions of Lightroom, photoshop CS5.

Hmm... the Inspiron 11z comes in around £300 now, so that's a LOT less than 50% of the price. Or am I missing something here...

Are they back in the store? They were not there when I looked earlier in the month. can you get the dual core one for £300? You have to compare similar specs, they are both PCs after all! ;)

Last edited:
What about a HP Envy, blatant rip off of a Macbook Pro but a quality machine none the less

WOW - that's a great shout. £1600 rather than £2650 for the same as a macbook pro, apart from cpu speed :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
Back