MAC OR NOT

Edit My Images
Yes
Recently decided to purchase a new laptop and i ended up going down the MSI gaming laptop route, has a stand alone graphics card, loads of ram and an I7 processor - now the imac for around the same price was half the spec of this... what makes people go for a mac over a normal laptop?

I've no idea to be honest other than the fact they are every where you look which then just has a snowball /band wagon effect . I think the OS Is terrible and using Windows /Android is a breath of fresh air . I'm sure many people will disagree as I suppose it's each to their own but I wouldn't have Mac or iPhone for free (unless I could sell it on )

I've no idea to be honest other than the fact they are every where you look which then just has a snowball /band wagon effect . I think the OS Is terrible and using Windows /Android is a breath of fresh air . I'm sure many people will disagree as I suppose it's each to their own but I wouldn't have Mac or iPhone for free (unless I could sell it on )

I guess I am just the inverse to you, spend all day in work on various Windows machines (XP - 10 and various server versions). When it is my money I own a couple of macs at home and don't miss windows. Horses for courses, but I have no plans to change this other than my in-ability to update my flash firmware I have found to limitations.

Last edited:
In years gone by apple always enjoyed a graphical advantage especially when i was in school/college around 2002/2003 but that advantage has now gone, so i just dont really see why you would pick one for the same price as a much higher spec machine.

OS
Design

This sums it up pretty much over the last couple of years, although there's a lot of alternatives out there with performance and design in mind.

A lot of it is brand loyalty in my opinion

As already said, OS and design. A few companies have now caught up with apple in the hardware external design and appearance stakes, so they don't have something unique any more. Also some just love OSX and the way that the default settings chosen are user-friendly and that it takes a need to be in control away from the user. They also used to have different chipsets etc, though that hasn't been true for a long time. And the brand loyalty of apple buyers cannot be over-estimated, though it is distinctly less than it used to be since the company is much less committed to its computer users than it traditionally once was, and that has filtered through.

There's an amusing irony, typing this on my 10 YO Macbook. There's aspect both very appealing and intensely irritating about the Apple ecosystem, but the appealing bits are overcome by the annoying stuff *for me*.

I have two iMacs sat on my desk and they look great, but I buy Macs purely because of the OS.

I worked in the IT business since 1991 playing with DOS 3.0, then eventually all the various versions of windows from 2.0 to XP. When I needed to replace my old XP machine in 2009, I decided to look at a Mac and after much deliberation bought a 21” iMac and I’ve never looked back.

The OS took a little while to get used to but it just worked. I never have to restart after installing an application, never have to restart when updating an application, never have to restart when uninstalling an application, only occasionally have to restart for an OS update.
I think I can say, hand on heart, my iMac has never crashed. If a program has become unresponsive it’s easily shut down without effecting anything else.
I don’t turn on the Mac in the morning then find I have to wait 20 minutes before I can use it because it’s decided to update itself. I’ve never had to reinstall my OS because an update has failed and screwed everything up.
In 9 years I’ve never run anti virus software.before I get shot down in flames, I know there a viruses for Mac but they are still few and far between and unless your on some pretty dodgy websites the chances are you’ll never see one. I’ve never had malware or spyware and I’ve never had to reinstall the OS just because it’s starting to get sluggish.

And that is why I buy a Mac. Even though I know I can get better hardware for the money.

Somebody will pop up here saying Macs still crash, macs still get viruses blah blah blah, but that’s not my experience and is the reason why I buy a Mac.

Also my first 2009 iMac was still working up until February this year. I don’t think I’ve ever had a PC last 9 years.

Recently decided to purchase a new laptop and i ended up going down the MSI gaming laptop route, has a stand alone graphics card, loads of ram and an I7 processor - now the imac for around the same price was half the spec of this... what makes people go for a mac over a normal laptop?
Because it would be really really dull if we were all the same.

We value different things, we have different histories and have taken different journeys. Which is cool because it’s that that’s driven us to the current generation of devices.

For me, as a PC developer at work, after a decade or so of ‘bringing my work home’, I wanted something different at home. I started off with various Linux distros but too much hassle for the other half (this was 2002), so went for my first Mac (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_G4), still works today, although useless :)

I’ve stuck with the Mac at home, PC at work since because it gives me separation and that’s important for me, plus to an extent I’ve built up a bit of an eco system that works well together. We do have PCs at home too, 4 current ones (wife and three kids) but I like my Mac!

PC’s offer a huge amount of flexibility, and the OS is pretty good now, that said we’ve ditched them at work now, preferring ChromeOS/Chromebooks

Also some just love OSX and the way that the default settings chosen are user-friendly and that it takes a need to be in control away from the user.

It is true indeed because OSX is built on an open source BSD platform over a couple of decades ago for the power user without all the crap to generalise all the bad things and practices in the likes of iOS. It is still somewhat true today but only because the apple authoritarians have been slow to infiltrate it with all the malware but it is creeping in with every update, while security practices are downgraded and Apple is forcing on us their Chinese managed cloud. They even forced SIRI on us last year!!! Good job the '12 mini doesn't have a camera or microphone built in, but you can be sure it tracks your every single click along the way and reports back to the motherhship.

While I feel it is still somewhat better than say windows 10 because it has less of the latest "tablety" crap it is rapidly changing to the point my next laptop may as well be MS Surface. Apple doesn't really care about innovating MAC platform - their long term goal is to force you onto iOS gulags.

Somebody will pop up here saying Macs still crash, macs still get viruses blah blah blah, but that’s not my experience and is the reason why I buy a Mac.

I started having nasty Lightroom related crashes lately. Once it even required a hard reset. After the last update hopefully it has become more stable again.

I have two iMacs sat on my desk and they look great, but I buy Macs purely because of the OS.

I worked in the IT business since 1991 playing with DOS 3.0, then eventually all the various versions of windows from 2.0 to XP. When I needed to replace my old XP machine in 2009, I decided to look at a Mac and after much deliberation bought a 21” iMac and I’ve never looked back.

The OS took a little while to get used to but it just worked. I never have to restart after installing an application, never have to restart when updating an application, never have to restart when uninstalling an application, only occasionally have to restart for an OS update.
I think I can say, hand on heart, my iMac has never crashed. If a program has become unresponsive it’s easily shut down without effecting anything else.
I don’t turn on the Mac in the morning then find I have to wait 20 minutes before I can use it because it’s decided to update itself. I’ve never had to reinstall my OS because an update has failed and screwed everything up.
In 9 years I’ve never run anti virus software.before I get shot down in flames, I know there a viruses for Mac but they are still few and far between and unless your on some pretty dodgy websites the chances are you’ll never see one. I’ve never had malware or spyware and I’ve never had to reinstall the OS just because it’s starting to get sluggish.

And that is why I buy a Mac. Even though I know I can get better hardware for the money.

Also my first 2009 iMac was still working up until February this year. I don’t think I’ve ever had a PC last 9 years.

This is a fair and good evaluation - that is something i do consistently see from mac users AKA the stability of the platform and the fact the hardware seems to last for years on end.

I have been tempted by an IMAC as a desktop style pc because of the screen size and its form factor AKA no big massive tower unit to hide.. my only issue is that im not invested in the eco system, i dont have an iphone or ipads - everything is android.

Because it would be really really dull if we were all the same.

We value different things, we have different histories and have taken different journeys. Which is cool because it’s that that’s driven us to the current generation of devices.

For me, as a PC developer at work, after a decade or so of ‘bringing my work home’, I wanted something different at home. I started off with various Linux distros but too much hassle for the other half (this was 2002), so went for my first Mac (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_G4), still works today, although useless :)

I’ve stuck with the Mac at home, PC at work since because it gives me separation and that’s important for me, plus to an extent I’ve built up a bit of an eco system that works well together. We do have PCs at home too, 4 current ones (wife and three kids) but I like my Mac!

PC’s offer a huge amount of flexibility, and the OS is pretty good now, that said we’ve ditched them at work now, preferring ChromeOS/Chromebooks

This is also a good way to put it across - as i said above id considered and still am considering an imac for a home desktop but because im not invested in the eco system anywhere (dont own iphone or ipads) i think it would just have to be a stand alone media machine for lightroom etc.

Exactly this for me, my 2007 iMac is still going strong. After working with pcs for a living I wouldn't choose one if I can get a mac

Windows user from school days, flipped to mac 4 years ago, when I wanted a dedicated photo/video editer, then moved to mac at work 3 or so years ago, my pc has been upgraded twice since then and the work mac is still the same, and I can’t notice any slow down at all, so I would say.

Os
Stability
Longevity
Speed down the line (found all my pc’s slow over time)
Resale value
Integration with other Apple products is a big point (phones/watch/iPads/AirPods) all work seamlessly)

Also Apple help, had a couple issues ( all my doing) and the Apple help/tech support has been by far the best I’ve ever seen.
I even stopped after a few hours as I was at work, they asked if I wanted s break and would call me back anytime I wanted, I asked a for an hour to catch up, exactly 1 hour later they called back to resume the issue.

To be honest apple Help would be my main reason to stay. (Although I understand you pay for this privalige in the price)

Windows user from school days, flipped to mac 4 years ago, when I wanted a dedicated photo/video editer, then moved to mac at work 3 or so years ago, my pc has been upgraded twice since then and the work mac is still the same, and I can’t notice any slow down at all, so I would say.

Os
Stability
Longevity
Speed down the line (found all my pc’s slow over time)
Resale value
Integration with other Apple products is a big point (phones/watch/iPads/AirPods) all work seamlessly)

Also Apple help, had a couple issues ( all my doing) and the Apple help/tech support has been by far the best I’ve ever seen.
I even stopped after a few hours as I was at work, they asked if I wanted s break and would call me back anytime I wanted, I asked a for an hour to catch up, exactly 1 hour later they called back to resume the issue.

To be honest apple Help would be my main reason to stay. (Although I understand you pay for this privalige in the price)

Does the 4 year old mac have bluetooth btw to work with the airpods?

AirPods are amazing by the way. I can pop them on and they will stream seamlessly for a huge distance compared to other Bluetooth headsets and they automatically pair to all your Apple devices etc. This is due to the special W1 chip Apple developed and an example of where you can innovate more easily in a closed system. The downside of same is the captive audience and therefore cost.

Tribal threads like this are rather tedious.

My money, my choice.

Tribal threads like this are rather tedious.

My money, my choice.

Tribal thread? It was a legitimate question followed by legitimate answers. It's only a tribal thread if you turn it into one with silly comments like this.

Last edited:
My personal preference is for Mac. The reasons are my business - I don't intend to sway people one way or the other. Each to their own. Not worth fighting over.

Think I have said this before. I was a 30 year windows user and took a leap of faith. I got a Mac. That was 2010. Still going strong.

Indeed, don't know how many rubbish laptops/PCs id been through too in since the mid 90s, had a macbook pro in 2012/3 and it's all Ive used and all I will 'til it dies.

Ok I’ll bite!

How do the Chinese censor anything in the UK?

App store and iTunes contents?! On iOS you literally have no freedom of choice while it still remains on Mac because it is still more open down to its old roots

The Apple news app which is horribly biased to leftist cause and to portray China and apple in the best light?!

Pretty much same applies to Google but it's somewhat possible to hack the android at least.

Also you support the companies running Chinese slave factories making apple guts.

And all your iCloud keys are now in the hands of Chinese government.

It is undeniable.

Last edited:
now the imac for around the same price was half the spec of this... what makes people go for a mac over a normal laptop?

Because people are gullible and get sucked in.
Yes Apple have been inovative with new ideas but technology wise it took them a long time too use cutting edge technology.
As an example, Apple woke up and started to use Intel processors years aftet the x86 computer.
Ok so Apple make shiney metal cased products but how many here use a DSLR body made from plastic?
So if you like overpriced, shiney kit that cost double their price then it's your prerogative to throw money at the products.
Don't get me wrong, I have had my gripes with Microsoft and the likes of Samsung shoving crap bloatware in Android.
OSX is a good OS as is Windows 10 but there are a lot of people on here and Apple die hard fans who've decided they can't justify the cost of Apple anymore and gone back to Windows based computer.

App store and iTunes contents?! On iOS you literally have no freedom of choice while it still remains on Mac because it is still more open down to its old roots

The Apple news app which is horribly biased to leftist cause and to portray China and apple in the best light?!

Pretty much same applies to Google but it's somewhat possible to hack the android at least.

Also you support the companies running Chinese slave factories making apple guts.

And all your iCloud keys are now in the hands of Chinese government.

It is undeniable.

The Chinese have no authority to ban app store and iTunes content in the UK or anywhere else in the world apart from in China as it's their country with their laws, such as VPNs andbanning movies with time travel in them!

You have the freedom of choice to buy it or not!

A news company being biased? Well, that's not exactly news is it?

Apple devices can be hacked to run other software too, it's called jailbreaking!

Apple doesn't run slave factories and have their own staff visiting their suppliers factories to ensure good working conditions for jobs that are highly in demand as they pay well for Chinese workers.

You do realise that to operate in China you have to obey Chinese laws? This is why if you are a Chinese customer then your cloud services have to be located in China and accessible by the Chinese Government by Chinese law. This has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the world and my iCloud keys are in the hands of Apple not the Chinese Government.

Of course it's deniable!

This is why threads like these end up as being tribal, misinformation!

Yes as they’ve had Bluetooth keyboards and mice (is that right or us it mouses) for quite some years now.

Yes as they’ve had Bluetooth keyboards and mice (is that right or us it mouses) for quite some years now.
Think it'll be more down to the bt version/protocol and codec rather than just the presence of bt.

E.g. I've got a 24bit bt receiver, supporting aptx through to ldac. Phone works fine, laptop not at all.

Last edited:
Think it'll be more down to the bt version/protocol and codec rather than just the presence of bt.

E.g. I've got a 24bit bt receiver, supporting aptx through to ldac. Phone works fine, laptop not at all.
Sorry way above my head on that one :thinking:, they work on both my 2011 and newer 2015 Mac’s

Tribal thread? It was a legitimate question followed by legitimate answers. It's only a tribal thread if you turn it into one with silly comments like this.

Sorry, but "what makes people go for a mac over a normal laptop?" is not a legitimate question.

How about "what makes people go for a mac over a Windows or Linux laptop?"

Tribal from the start.

Sorry, but "what makes people go for a mac over a normal laptop?" is not a legitimate question.

How about "what makes people go for a mac over a Windows or Linux laptop?"

Tribal from the start.

Like hell it was??? normal being non-mac, quite simple.

It's worth mentioning that resale value isn't really applicable anymore, especially since issues with Apples quality hits the spotlight, like the keyboard for instance, it makes buyers cautious and likely to look at Apple refurb instead.

The same is true of iOS devices, I've seen iPhone X's sell for £500 - £600 pounds, a drop of 40%-50% in less than a year.

It's worth mentioning that resale value isn't really applicable anymore, especially since issues with Apples quality hits the spotlight, like the keyboard for instance, it makes buyers cautious and likely to look at Apple refurb instead.

The same is true of iOS devices, I've seen iPhone X's sell for £500 - £600 pounds, a drop of 40%-50% in less than a year.

Just had a quick look on eBay. Most seem to be going for £700 - £800

Also, why would you go refurb if, as you say, the keyboard has problems. There’d be the same problems in the keyboard.

Why not let people who want to buy Apple buy Apple. If you don’t like, no need to hate. Go and enjoy whatever it was that you bought.

Back