MAC OR NOT

Dell XPS range is always worth a look, think you can get them with a matte screen too and the UHD one is wide-gamut

Not really, exactly the same internals as any other laptop. Just with less choice of storage and graphics cards.

Absolutely. They have used standard PC parts for more than 10 years, plus an extra chip on the Mobo to prevent OSX being used on other hardware.

Me, neither. Once you get use to mac, you'll never go back to PC. It's just...better.

Simply put, no.

I own and use windows, Linux and a OSX - I'm OS agnostic in that they all have their strengths and weaknesses. A strength of most Linux DEs and Windows is workflow management through the taskbar. OSX has the dock, which looks pretty, but for working with lots of files open at the same time it' s really awkward. Extrenal drive management used to be terrible (haven't tried it with Thuderbolt, but USB handling was very poor). In addition OSX makes a hidden sidecar file for every file you store on your computer, leading to more cruft and slower data transfers, deletion etc. And if you like to tweak your user interface - forget it. Battery management has always been very good on more recent macs, and likewise wireless connectivity can be excellent.

Hardware wise, Macs usually lag slightly in specification against a similarly priced windows machine. The cases are durable, but no more so than from any other premium brand. They do, however, make some very poor design choices, failing to provide adequate heat removal in laptops, some models had inadequate cooling for graphics chips leading to premature failure. The USB ports on older models wore out rapidly and stopped working reliably. A recent verion of the Macbook keyboard is unreliable, failing when dust gets under the keys. They also solder all components to the Mobo making user upgrade or repair impossible, and they don't provide enough ports on their laptops.

When I replaced my business Macbook nearly 5 years ago I wanted nother Mac, because I knew transferring data and emails would be difficult. My previous approach had been to buy a machine with a mid-range spec, then upgrade as needed, but the new Macbooks were no longer upgradable, and I was no willing to spend £2500 on a laptop in order to have a little future proofing. I bought a Dell XPS, and was really pleased to be back using Windows and a conventional PC. I don't 'hate' Macs, but get very cross at people who make positive statements about them without evidence to support it.

I have a dual boot Mac / Windows machine. The Mac does all the work, the Windows 10 part plays a couple of games now and then, hell, windows 10 is not even connected to the internet, I just do not trust Micro$oft, there constant updates are a real pain in the ar$e.

I have a dual boot Mac / Windows machine. The Mac does all the work, the Windows 10 part plays a couple of games now and then, hell, windows 10 is not even connected to the internet, I just do not trust Micro$oft, there constant updates are a real pain in the ar$e.

I do find it kind of ironic that when it comes to iOS the main strength is the frequent updates, even when an update breaks something the usual response is that the next update is due imminently that will resolve it. Android devices who get security updates but not necessarily the major version updates are slated, quoting the iOS situation as the pinnacle.

However, in the desktop world, Windows updates are deemed to be an absolute nightmare, and Mac's are rock-solid as they don't get anywhere near as many updates.

For the record, I use all platforms like ancient_mariner and have no real bias..

I do find it kind of ironic that when it comes to iOS the main strength is the frequent updates, even when an update breaks something the usual response is that the next update is due imminently that will resolve it. Android devices who get security updates but not necessarily the major version updates are slated, quoting the iOS situation as the pinnacle.

However, in the desktop world, Windows updates are deemed to be an absolute nightmare, and Mac's are rock-solid as they don't get anywhere near as many updates.

For the record, I use all platforms like ancient_mariner and have no real bias..
Windows updates are much more likely to go wrong than Apple ones because Microsoft has little control over the hardware. Never thought I’d be defending Microsoft :D.

The iOS is rubbish in a mixed environment, our macs and we have eleven in various flavours all have serious issues on the network, we use SMB and AFP across the network and the speed is terrible, the three scan 3xs PC’s hammer them into the floor, and let’s not forget that photoshop is STILL broken in parts thanks to the new Mac OS. We use wired keyboards from Apple and have to change them around from machine to machine at least once a week, one will work on one machine and that simply stop, both keyboard and machine are fine. At leat three of the macs have screen issues that look like water marks on the inside, condensation apparently, never had that with a pc monitor.

Our PC’s will open around 100+ jpeg files from 5ds at a time and still run battlefield 5 with everything switched on, and I can choose what monitor I want, macs are great looking, not very well spaced computers for the cash. And windows is now rock solid so that’s not a problem anymore.

Windows updates are much more likely to go wrong than Apple ones because Microsoft has little control over the hardware. Never thought I’d be defending Microsoft :D.
Our windows are bang up to date and all is fine, touch wood, in the last few years there has been zero PC related issues, much more problems with the macs. For example, the two machines with the latest Apple os is are no longer usable because of an Apple/adobe issue.

Our PC’s will open around 100+ jpeg files from 5ds at a time and still run battlefield 5 with everything switched on, and I can choose what monitor I want, macs are great looking, not very well spaced computers for the cash. And windows is now rock solid so that’s not a problem anymore. For us it’s back to PC :)

Last edited:
I don't use mac over laptop the specs for money don't work for me.
Laptop wise I use Dells top spec inspiron 2 in 1 17 inch which i do all my editing etc, on.
I do use a apple phone and Ipad pro though.

I quite like the 5K screen on the imac. Also like the Unix features and the command line on OSX. The window equivalent is terribad and unusable. Though I hear Windows now ships with some Linux like features... So I might have a look.

I dislike the iPhone and iPad greatly lol

The only time windows should update the device drivers is if you don't have installed the manufacturer drivers. Ms drivers should never take priority otherwise.

Apple updates aren't 100% reliable though, I recall updates breaking printers many times.

Our windows are bang up to date and all is fine, touch wood, in the last few years there has been zero PC related issues, much more problems with the macs. For example, the two machines with the latest Apple os is are no longer usable because of an Apple/adobe issue.
Curious as to what you mean by this as I don't have a problem at all. Just been onto Adobe CC to check for updates and there is none available

Curious as to what you mean by this as I don't have a problem at all. Just been onto Adobe CC to check for updates and there is none available
Liquify issue is our main problem, it’s with the latest OS and a set of specific graphics cards on iMacs and latest photoshop, been broken for months.

Back