Mac or PC?

I do a quick reinstall of the image perhaps every 6-8 months, takes about 15 minutes whilst I go to the loo with a comic.
:eek::eek:

Why for heaven's sake? Does it need to be re-installed? Do you think it acceptable that an OS should need re-installing every 6-8 months?

I use free avg and a router hardware firewall. That's it, easy peasy.

But shouldn't you be asking why should I need to use AV and a firewall (an external one)? There was a team who did a test where they connected a freshly built Windows (XP I think) box with no AV etc. to the 'net and timed how long it took to be compromised - something like 23 seconds :eek: Proves my point really, it's got more holes than a tramp's vest. You wouldn't buy a car and expect to have to go to Halfords and buy seatbelts and an airbag would you?

Why for heaven's sake? Does it need to be re-installed? Do you think it acceptable that an OS should need re-installing every 6-8 months?

But shouldn't you be asking why should I need to use AV and a firewall (an external one)? There was a team who did a test where they connected a freshly built Windows (XP I think) box with no AV etc. to the 'net and timed how long it took to be compromised - something like 23 seconds :eek: Proves my point really, it's got more holes than a tramp's vest. You wouldn't buy a car and expect to have to go to Halfords and buy seatbelts and an airbag would you?
\

i wouldnt bother with the replys now mate, clearly a total windows fanboy, no matter how much proof you have it will be the best in the world.....

oh oh oh oh...

Is round two Nikon v Canon?

Always makes me smile the windows v OSX thing, gets almost like a mad religous debate!

Like other folk on here I use a dell laptop and a dell PC at work... but also use a G4 MDD at home.

Both have there good points and bad points. I think a lot of it comes to what you feel comfortable with and personal preference.

\

i wouldnt bother with the replys now mate, clearly a total windows fanboy, no matter how much proof you have it will be the best in the world.....

and time to grow up...you have no idea what you're on about

No 'fanboy' accusations here please.
This stays as a friendly discussion. End of.

Mac vs PC threads have a habit of getting nasty. Don't let that happen here please.

Both have there good points and bad points. I think a lot of it comes to what you feel comfortable with and personal preference.

Listen to that man.

BTW I've just got a Mac, weeeee!

it's not a reinstall...

I'm pretty sure OS X has a firewall and from using macs in the past, they've all had anti virus software installed and there is anti virus software from all the big players for OS X.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/31/in_the_wild_osx_trojan/

and leopard is as holey as a holey thing http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/01/apple_mac_leopard_4_security/ could almost be XP :D "visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/16/mac_malware_concern/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/28/pwning_security_updates/

etc etc

so it turns out, macs are only less vulnerable because most of the malware is written for windows. As macs gain popularity better get yourself some free anti virus software.

Point is, doesn't matter what system you use, if you're naive enough to think macs are secure then perhaps you need to pay one of the 'tech guys' for a home visit.

Upshot is, a windows based machine still does everything as well as a mac for the cost of a couple of happy meals a week

it's not a reinstall...
So what is it? You're reverting the OS to the as-installed state are you not? That's just the same as re-installing - but faster.

I'm pretty sure OS X has a firewall and from using macs in the past,

True, but they are needed more with Windows machines and, on Windows they are as much, if not more so, needed to prevent malicious s/w on the machine getting out onto the 'net.

they've all had anti virus software installed and there is anti virus software from all the big players for OS X.

And AV is available for Unix/Linux/Netware too, but it's not to protect those machines from viruses, it's for when those machines are used as mail servers and AV checking is done at the gateway and is to seek out Windows viruses to protect Windows machines on the LAN

From that article:

The Trojan requires victims to enter the administrative password for their machine,

That is the major difference. Windows - cetainly XP, don't know about Vista - puts all users created during the install into the Administrator group without warning and without explanation of the risks so any malicious s/w doesn't need the root password, it already has the necessary privileges. On OSX, and *nix (on which OSX is based) they don't, so the malicious s/w has to try and trick the user into entering the password. No software company can prevent users falling for this - just like phishing and the Nigerian 419 scams - all they can do is advise them to be wary, so it's not a failing of the OS.

and leopard is as holey as a holey thing http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/01/apple_mac_leopard_4_security/ could almost be XP :D "visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/16/mac_malware_concern/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/28/pwning_security_updates/

etc etc

As does every piece of software ever written. The difference is that these potential issues are discovered and fixed before they are exploited, which also happens with Windows but a lot of the time they are fixed after they have been exploited. Also, the exploit described in the second of those links relies on a bug in the DNS system which is not Apple's - or Microsoft's - fault.

it turns out, macs are only less vulnerable because most of the malware is written for windows. As macs gain popularity better get yourself some free anti virus software.

Ah, that old chestnut, the 'security through obscurity' argument. Yes, the more popular Macs - and Linux - become then yes, there will be more malicious s/w appearing but, as I pointed out above, the damage it can do will be limited as it doesn't have the necessary privileges to do serious damage.

Historical note: the first ever piece of Internet malicious s/w was a worm that affected Unix boxes (probably because they were the only machines on the 'net at the time ;) ).

Point is, doesn't matter what system you use, if you're naive enough to think macs are secure then perhaps you need to pay one of the 'tech guys' for a home visit.

I've got a 'tech guy' - me (y) Been working with computers since before the PC was born and as far as my home LAN is concerned I've been running Unix here since 1995 with no A/V s/w and minimum firewalling and never had any security breaches - and I've got ports open on the router to allow me to access my machines from anywhere - but I've had viruses on the Windows box - which, to be fair, were due to Norton AV failing to automatically update and even that may be Windows' fault as it used Task Scheduler to do it, but whatever the cause, Norton failed to warn it was out of date. On top of that SpyBot is forever popping-up warning of suspicious activity - usually when the kids try downloading something off a website.

Upshot is, a windows based machine still does everything as well as a mac for the cost of a couple of happy meals a week

I'm not disputing the productivity, it's the quality of the OS the apps are running on.

The intel macs now are able to run windows, so its just down to how much money you wish to spend. If you are used to windows then stick to windows, and mac users stick os x.

I have both leopard and vista on my intel imac, but rarely use vista as i prefer the mac side.

On the cost side of things, pc's look cheap and i would have to hide the thing. Drivers are a nightmare windows complains if i unplug a usb device and move it to a different.

That is just my view, and i will be sticking with a mac.

wrote lots

so to summarise, in my situation, for the cost of a mac I can buy a pooter to do the same job and in addition buy a 5D as well...but, and this is the traumatic bit...I'd have to download and install a free bit of antivrus software :wacky: must be mad

Yes, you must :wacky:

Theyre both good in their own rights. They both will do what a user wants it to, either with a certain amount of shoehorning and tweaking, or not.
It's much of a muchness really.

I find it really funny that people get so het up about 'defending' their choices.....that's how people get fanboy accusations thrown at them. It really does read funny.
Ive been a diehard PC user...I never thought I really MUST defend all the accusations levelled at PC's / Windows etc....why? Because while they may have been often written with scorn and contempt...sadly theyre true. Yes, Windows ARE susceptible to complete holes. Macs are too, but at what sort of level? Macs ARE overpriced for what you're getting, but if someone wants to pay that, then so what? You're getting a much better user experience. That's what you're paying for...not just numbers and statistics.

If you want figures on paper, and want bang for buck performance, then join the queue of millions upon millions of other users around the world, and get a PC with Windows.
If you want a more seamless user experience housed in a funky box, and want everything prettier with better performance, and are willing to pay a bit more for it....buy a Mac.

We used to run purely Windows based PC's but since I brought a Macbook Air the other week I think we will be moving all of ours over to Mac. Why, just because of the ease of use in the Mac. Am fed up with all of the trouble that using a Windows based system causes everytime you move a USB object from one port to another.

Plus the Mac's just look so much sexier.

to the point about xp creating admin accounts when installed, vista always asks about any action that woould normally be done by admin account, its annoying though.

i have a mac too. I have always used windows, and since using a mac, ive been mighty impressed. If you dont want to buy the imac, get a mini mac, £300 mac power.

Agree with grumpybadger - there isn't really any point in changing just because of peer pressure. The same could be said about your DSLR if you think about it. Working in the IT game, I tend to stick to the tried and tested adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!", which also applies here.

I assume you mean a Windows PC? Why on earth would you want to downgrade?

Do you feel you are missing something by not having to fight viruses and other malware?

I've never used a Mac but I dropped Windows about 18 months ago and now use FreeBSD (Unix) exclusively (used to dual boot before) and, TBH, I've yet to find anything I can't do that I could under Windows. If I had the money though I'd be getting a Mac Mini.

There have been many people on various forums I'm on who've switched to Macs and, without exception, their comments have been along the lines of "it's fantastic; wish I'd switched years ago" which I think tells you all you need to know (y)

Fanboy alert :LOL:

People only fight viruses if they are daft enough to get them in the first place, where do viruses come from?

Infected files, Malicious sites, Infected Pen Drives, Filesharing, you can leave a PC on with a decent firewall (I use Sygate with XPHome) and you never get a Virus, then the user looks at dodgy websites and wallop, or they open an email from an unknown address,

At the end of the day 99.9% of PC Problems are down to user ignorance and as a PC Engineer Ive seen it all (well most of it), if you use IE make sure you have a decent firewall, decent AV and also decent Antispyware and try not to go looking at rubbish on the www.

PC or MAC, well I would opt for PC because of, easily upgradeable, off the shelf parts and software is generally cheaper, but its all down to users choice at the end of the day, both good systems.

Back