Mac OS High Sierra

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Sorry one more question. At the weekend I updated my 13" MacBook Pro from Sierra to High Sierra OS. Whilst everything works fine, I've noticed that on booting it takes much longer than it did before. It seems to hang around the 60-70% mark for a good while and has taken my boot (to the log on screen) from around 15 seconds to now around 35-40 seconds. Whilst in the real world it's not a major issue, it is annoying all the same as that's what I loved about Macs, is there pretty instant boot time.

Anyone else having this issue ?

Just upgraded my iMac and yes it does seem a little slower. I will keep an eye on it

At least it's not just me then :)

Will wait and see how it goes before I update mine keep an eye on this thread....

Oh dear, updated mine this morning before I read this post :eek:

I'll keep you informed.

Running fine on my rMBP and has been for the past week.

I’ve been running High Sierra for weeks with no problems. Mac Mini 2011. Can’t comment much about boot times as I never switch it off. If I were having your problems I would just do a clean install, which is so easy on a Mac.

Boot time has certainly increased but I am not sitting in front of the machine while it bots, it doesn't really matter to me. Doesn't decide to finish updating Windows unexpectedly so I am still happy.

I have had no running problems in the week since I updated.

No problems for me either, updated my 2017 IMac weeks ago and it is running fine

2013 rMBP does seem longer to boot. about 3-4 seconds longer. apart from that nothing else Not sure if its a worthwhile upgrade to be honest Seems that Photo's has had an update but as I don't use it. Might keep the iMac on Sierra.Not sure how the HEVC makes a great deal of difference

If you have an SSD it will have been converted to APFS. That might be causing the longer boot times especially if you have an encrypted filing system (which is probably a good idea).

If you have an SSD it will have been converted to APFS. That might be causing the longer boot times especially if you have an encrypted filing system (which is probably a good idea).
I do not have a ssd drive but am still experiencing longer boot times.

This has been posted by a member of another forum that I frequent:

"A heads up for anyone considering upgrading their operating system from El Capitan to High Sierra. I have 3 Macs, an iMac desktop, Macbook Pro and Macbook Air laptops. The Macbook Air totally froze during the update and despite the best attempts of myself, my IT savvy stepson and a local Mac expert to recover it and reinstall the software, the computer is still frozen. The Mac expert is now talking about replacing the hard drive at £500+. The iMac and Pro updated successfully but this took many hours and now both computers appear slower. Also I have now found that neither computer will open my Photos library and I keep getting a message saying there is an unexpected error. At present I have no way of accessing my Photos library on any computer. A Google search has revealed that this is a common problem with as yet no solution

So my advice if you are considering doing the update is just don't.
"

This has been posted by a member of another forum that I frequent:

"A heads up for anyone considering upgrading their operating system from El Capitan to High Sierra. I have 3 Macs, an iMac desktop, Macbook Pro and Macbook Air laptops. The Macbook Air totally froze during the update and despite the best attempts of myself, my IT savvy stepson and a local Mac expert to recover it and reinstall the software, the computer is still frozen. The Mac expert is now talking about replacing the hard drive at £500+. The iMac and Pro updated successfully but this took many hours and now both computers appear slower. Also I have now found that neither computer will open my Photos library and I keep getting a message saying there is an unexpected error. At present I have no way of accessing my Photos library on any computer. A Google search has revealed that this is a common problem with as yet no solution

So my advice if you are considering doing the update is just don't.
"
According to iFixit etc replacing the hard drive in a MacBook Air is pretty easy so not sure why he would pay £500 for someone to do it.

Oh dear, updated mine this morning before I read this post :eek:

I'll keep you informed.
Well so far so good. Boot times are as before the update, no other issues with the machine (y)

According to iFixit etc replacing the hard drive in a MacBook Air is pretty easy so not sure why he would pay £500 for someone to do it.

An update has been posted:

"First the good news today. My computer savvy stepson has found a work round for the Photos problem. What I didn't mention is that I sync all my files including photos via Dropbox. It seems that High Sierra has some issue with a Photos library stored on Dropbox. However by moving it out of Dropbox, renaming it and then moving it back into Dropbox, Photos is suddenly able to open the library. Don't ask me why but it worked on both my iMac and Pro. The other bit of good news is that my local Mac expert seems to have got my Air up and running again by accident. He took the hard drive out in anticipation of replacing it but decided for no good reason he can tell me to reinstall just to be sure that it really wasn't operating. Lo and behold on reinstallation, the Air started up properly. It seems that the act of removing and reinstalling it jolted it into action. Again dont ask me to explain why but a £100 bill was a lot more palatable than a £500+ bill for a new hard drive

Now the bad news. My computer savvy stepson tried upgrading his Air to High Sierra last night and the same thing happened as happened to mine; it froze during the installation. At least he knows what might fix it."

An update has been posted:

"First the good news today
and so on...
You never know what strange thing people are doing. I wouldn’t have thought Photos could deal with a library in Dropbox in the first place and that rather hints at his having no other backups.
The Mac expert appears to be honest but he was still apparently charging £400 for the new hard drive. I would suspect his hard drive is knackered since taking it out and shakig/tapping/freezing etc are some of those temporary “cures” recommended for dying drives.

i,m a beta user and have a feedback assistant this issue was sorted in the 1st week of release. at 1st boot it would hang and needed to be restarted before it would boot up quicker. it was fixed in 2 days.

Well I've been running High Sierra for over 2 weeks now on my late 2013 13" MPB Retina, and the boot time is still crap at over 45 seconds from cold (it used to be around 10 seconds before I stupidly updated).

Any way of going back to standard Sierra ?

No problems at all with High Sierra on my mid-2011 MacBook Air, mid-2014 MacBook Pro, and 2017 iMac.

My work issued Windoze laptop continues to be a pile of s***e.

It is easy to replace, but the cost for a replacement or a larger upgrade SSD is astronomical compared to a standard 2.5" SSD. The SSD's used in the late 2013 MBA and MBPr are not sold by Apple as upgrades, only as exchange service parts for use in AASP or ARS repairs. Last time I checked only OWC supplied equivalent SSD's, for the newer models, but still expensive for the practical larger sizes. Some older MBA's only had 64GB, and many entry level models only 128GB. 128GB fills up very quickly, then causes serious slow downs and in extreme circumstances crashes. Personally I would now never use a Mac without and SSD.

Last edited:
Every day, Apple dies a little :(

I'm still on Yosemite on the desktop and Mavericks on the laptop but I'm going to need to u/g soon. I'm thinking Sierra looks pretty stable ATM and I'll leave off High Sierra for a few more months. Anybody know which versions of the OS had the keychain bug patched?

I think I can wait a while longer for the dinosaur emoji :D

I've been trialling High Sierra since the 10.13.1 release with a clean install on a late 2011 MBP with an older Crucial 240GB 2.5" SSD, but only 8GB memory. No problems. Running Photoshop, Lightroom and Photo Mechanic, all runs well. For years I've never upgraded to a new OS, have always erased and clean installed, then reinstalled apps, resetup iCloud syncing, resetup my imap email accounts, copied some prefs from the last clone. Never any problems. For a while my other other Macs are still running Sierra. If upgrading always clone your HD/SSD first, saves grief if things do go pear shape. A clone is easy to boot from to verify it's good, not so with a TM backup.

Well I've been running High Sierra for over 2 weeks now on my late 2013 13" MPB Retina, and the boot time is still crap at over 45 seconds from cold (it used to be around 10 seconds before I stupidly updated).

By restoring the clone or TM back you took just before upgrading.

Besides restoring you can usually download the older versions from the App Store - you have to do some fancy click to make them visible. Haven’t checked if this is true of Sierra.
The other thing to do when upgrading is to save a copy of the install file as it is deleted once the upgrade is done.

I upgraded my 27" 5k mac (2015) and the system locked up.
Did a clean install and it worked for two days then locked up during boot.

Clean installed again yesterday and so far no problems.

My confidence with it is still low.

Nobody I know has bothered to upgrade yet, so I’ve got no basis to go on personally, doesn’t exactly entice people to upgrade with these types of reports though

Seems like a bit of a lottery, maybe it's related to some installed software, third party software?

2011 imac (I think) and it's running fine.
I upgraded last week and it was running fine. Coincidentally I felt it was time for a reformat anyway, so did that the other day.
Installed HS from scratch and it seems to be running fine.

I've a registered developer account so get the betas too, although lately I've stayed away from OS betas on my main machine.

Got the upgrade to high sierra for my MacBook Mid 2014 currently running OS sierra version 10.12.6 will let it go on for a bit more before I upgrade I think see how the bugs go...

Thanks for the heads up:) I'm running seirra on my 2013 macbook pro retina
I'm not very computer savvy so won't be upgrading to high seirra especially as my machine is running absolutely fine at the moment no need to mess with it :D

Back