Mac OS High Sierra

Sierra is still running well on both my MBP and Mac Mini so won't be upgrading just yet. Plus there are a couple of pieces of software I use that still aren't compatible with High Sierra. Whilst this is not Apple's fault (tardy developers), I thought that High Sierra was an incremental upgrade to Sierra but there are significant enough changes that it breaks some drivers and software. Stability is critical for me as I use a program called MainStage for live music performance, so won't be upgrading for at least a couple of dot releases.

Just a teensy-weensie word of caution here......

Just hit the button to u/g to High Sierra. This is on a stock iMac that is running fine on Mavericks. U/g hung after about 40 mins. Left it a while longer then followed Apple Forums advice to restart so that it can continue the u/g.

It's not completely borked in an endless "press a key to continue......kernel panic" loop. I suspect I'll need to find a way of putting the installer on a thumb drive, reboot and rebuild the entire machine.

I mean, of course I have backups. But this isn't how I planned to spend my day...............

There are still serious problems with High Sierra, so I would hold off updating until at least the next point release. I'm sticking with 10.11 for the next few months for anything business critical.

I have it on good authority that the Apple devs considered the first release to be a complete piece of sh*t, and the current release isn't held in much higher regard. You have been warned!

(Do you hear that whirring noise? It's Steve Jobs angrily spinning in his grave).

There are still serious problems with High Sierra, so I would hold off updating until at least the next point release. I'm sticking with 10.11 for the next few months for anything business critical.

I have it on good authority that the Apple devs considered the first release to be a complete piece of sh*t, and the current release isn't held in much higher regard. You have been warned!

(Do you hear that whirring noise? It's Steve Jobs angrily spinning in his grave).

Yeah. I needed to u/g for a couple of apps and though "what's the worst that could happen now it's been out a month or two?.

I'll try Sierra. Or Mavericks. Assuming I can get it to boot.....

Blessed are the pessimists for they have taken backups. Also, stashed installs of a couple of recent OSs that you can't get anymore, a few thumbdrives and a spare laptop.

High Sierra up and running. It seems.......exactly like every other version of OS X I've used. Tried the important stuff and Photoshop, Lightroom any Suuntolink work :) Had to reinstall the s/w to make the custom settings on my Steel Series mouse work and there was a tense moment when I thought my Wacom was broken until I realised I'd unplugged it trying various drives.

Let's hope I don't need to do that for another 4 years.

ETA: wow. Siri's pretty bad. Compared to say Alexa or Google.

Last edited:
Loaded high sierra on my MacBook pro 2016 and it run better than on my 27" mac.
Boot is very quick.

Loaded high sierra on my MacBook pro 2016 and it run better than on my 27" mac.
Boot is very quick.

My ancient MBP is faster to boot and launch apps than my iMac. I suspect it's something to do with ripping out the drive and putting a super quick SSD in.

Also, my iMac runs awfully slowly when there's < 5GB of hard drive empty. Now it's half empty it's flying.

Well obviously I spoke too soon. HS appears to have an entertaining new foible. Every so often the second screen goes black. This is mildly vexing because the computer still believes it's attached and so leaves all the windows there (and so is completely different from the Mavericks etc bug that made it lose the second screen periodically.)

Now that I know what the problem is, I can Google it and it appears it's pretty common. Some are suggesting it's a display port that's on the way out - but it worked pretty well on Mavericks and now doesn't work so well on HS.

It's like Apple don't really want me to do any work......

My 2017 MBP was fine at first except for slightly slower start times but then began to experience a 2-5 second freeze every so often. On top of that it wouldn't allow my older (CS4) version of PS to work. There were a couple of other niggles but eventually I wiped the HD completely and went back to El Capitan which is smaller, quicker and works fine with any software I run. I shall remain here for the foreseeable future.

Well obviously I spoke too soon. HS appears to have an entertaining new foible. Every so often the second screen goes black. This is mildly vexing because the computer still believes it's attached and so leaves all the windows there (and so is completely different from the Mavericks etc bug that made it lose the second screen periodically.)

Now that I know what the problem is, I can Google it and it appears it's pretty common. Some are suggesting it's a display port that's on the way out - but it worked pretty well on Mavericks and now doesn't work so well on HS.

It's like Apple don't really want me to do any work......

It won't be hardware. Sierra nor any of the other OS versions caused my MBPs to freeze. HS caused my 2017 MBP to freeze for a few seconds continuously. Once I wiped it and went back to El Capitan all worked fine again. I didn't have any props with Sierra but High Sierra was such a pain I spent a day and half wiping, downgrading OS and re-installing all my software, a decision I didn't take lightly and wasn't best pleased about.

Got myself a new iMac i7 with HS already install and
— so far — it's been jumping in my face… flawlessly!

:):):)

Last edited:
Back