Mac/PC networking issue

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a problem which has been bugging me for a while. I have a PC and a macbook pro on the same network, the Mac recognises the PC and it appears in the Finder and I can access the files on the pc.

When I use remote desktop connection from the Mac to control the PC I have to use the PC's IP address (which keeps changing), using the computer name no longer works.

I get the same problem when I use squeezecenter (a music server), I used to be able to just type studypc:9000 in a browser to access it from my laptop, and now I have to use the ip address instead of the computer name.

Any ideas?

Hi Neil, thanks for taking the time. Unfortunately the IP address of the PC changes when it is reconnected to the network.

I think the problem may have started when we moved to Sky broadband, and I use their router, I guess that acts as the DHCP server to allocate the IP addresses?

that does sound like the issue, can you configure the router (or PC) to use static IPs? Have you got the workgroup name for the PC network set up on the Mac? And is the PC running Bonjour?

that does sound like the issue, can you configure the router (or PC) to use static IPs?

Don't know but I can look into it

Have you got the workgroup name for the PC network set up on the Mac?
No, how do I do that?

And is the PC running Bonjour?

I'm sorry I have no idea, probably not I guess.

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

If you cant access the sky router config to set a static dynamic address (if that makes sense - ie get the router to always allocate the same address to the pc) for the PC then just set the PC up to be fully static.

Right, I think I have managed to set a static dynamic address. If anybody else every finds this thread to log into the Sky router type 192.168.0.1 and use username admin and password sky.

There is a section called address reservation where I have added the current ip address of the pc like this...

ipaddress.png

Does that seem right?

That's exactly it, it shouldn't change now.

If anybody else every finds this thread to log into the Sky router type 192.168.0.1 and use username admin and password sky.

i would suggest you change that now, is not a good idea leaving the default password on the router let alone advertising the fact. :bonk:

i would suggest you change that now, is not a good idea leaving the default password on the router let alone advertising the fact. :bonk:

damn right, im off to drive around the country to find the OP's wireless network, then try and guess the wireless key and/or sneek a CAT5 in through the letterbox...

:LOL:

Right, I think I have managed to set a static dynamic address. If anybody else every finds this thread to log into the Sky router type 192.168.0.1 and use username admin and password sky.

Hopefully that is not a default account for your router - I'm guessing that you are a Sky broadband customer?

Perhaps wise to change to something less guessable.

Chris

(Must read the whole thread before replying in future!)

Back