macbook anti virus

ESET, the most expensive version, not the basic

FWIW though not a Mac user I have been an ESET customer for a few years and have found it good and the UK support is IMO quick compared to some software suppliers.

That’s a bit like saying you don’t lock your door and nobody has robbed you!

That’s a bit like saying you don’t lock your door and nobody has robbed you!

Not exactly, in Alaska no one locks their door - it’s about levels of risk and the level of risk with Mac is low enough for me not to worry about.

The way Mac registers and runs programmes is such that it is difficult for viruses and suchlike to install themselves anonymously on your computer and then run in the background. It isnt invulnerable but with a bit of common sense the risk is very very low.

Windows on the other hand... there’s a reason it constantly needs to update.

I totally agree with Nawty - I would imagine for the people who have unnecessary anti-virus on their Mac they then face a lot connectivity issues with their local devices (unless you know how to configure the firewall for every active port you utilise). It really causes more trouble than it's worth on a Mac. Apple have engineered the Mac to run safely without the need for add-on software.

Last edited:
Sophos. When I used to use PC, ESET was perfect, but having tried it on Mac, it didn't work so well. Don't use Kaspersky for Mac, it caused major issues (messed up the operating system).

Sophos will do what you need without screwing things up.

If you speak to Apple they will advise against installing anti-virus as it is not recommended/needed.

Not exactly, in Alaska no one locks their door - it’s about levels of risk and the level of risk with Mac is low enough for me not to worry about.

The way Mac registers and runs programmes is such that it is difficult for viruses and suchlike to install themselves anonymously on your computer and then run in the background. It isnt invulnerable but with a bit of common sense the risk is very very low.

'xactly. I've used Macs for about 15 years. I have never had any kind of malware. The only antivirus I use is OSX, common sense and careful use of passwords. My wife's Win10 machine on the other hand which spends most of its life updating Windoze and running scanners got hit by something nasty last week.

as stated already nothing., mac's very rarely get viruses. Just a waste of money

Appreciate that as thing stand OSX is pretty secure but i am pretty certain the day is going to come (probably sooner rather than later) that OSX is going to get hit and having protection on your system may be a good thing.

Given that there are nations developing malware and the vast majority of macs do not have antivirus tools on them, i would put good money that those dodgy nations are actively developing osx malware in the knowledge that it will spread rapidly once in the wild.

as stated already nothing., mac's very rarely get viruses. Just a waste of money
Sophos (for Home) is free.

One thing to note is that while you may not have a virus issue on macOS; it can be possible that you inadvertently pass on a virus to your Windows using friends / family / acquaintances / enemies via email, etc. Using virus scan can prevent that.

Anti-virus software can also protect against phishing type attacks which macOS does nothing to prevent.

Last edited:
I believe the first major malware for Mac was found around 10 years ago. I also think you have to be dreaming if you think any computer system is secure. You just need to look at players in the security game (like Kaspersky themselves being hacked by Israel, whilst possibly doing something they shouldn't have been on an NSA employee's computer). The lack of patching by users in previous versions of Windows led to security issues being uncovered and then end users not patching to fix it, thus Windows getting a bad reputation. Windows 10 forced the updates to stop this cycle happening. For what its worth, my Mac is running symantec.

I would recommend Sophos too.

However don't rely on antivirus as some silver bullet. IMHO just keeping your OS and applications updated and using a good adblocker such as uBlock are more important in the current climate.

Another thing I considered when i was offered Kaspersky (I know...) by Barclays for free.

If Barclays offered this to all their customers, i chose not to take up the offer, and was then subject to a malware or phishing attack that could have been avoided had Kaspersky been installed, that would give Barclays a very easy get out in not making good any loss.

This is a fairly balanced view.

1,400 instances of OS X malware sounds a terrifyingly high number, until you read that they basically stopped counting Windoze malware when it hit 20M. My phone is 700 times more likely to have malware on it than my desktop.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/05/mac_os_x_malware_explodes/

There's still very little (by which I mean I think none but I bet somebody will find some) OSX Malware that would get past a reasonably sensible user.

Nux based malware was at 36% in Q1 2017 and set to double through 2018 according to some in the industry.

I don't believe it's really worth sticking heads in the sand over past sense of securities.

To each their own, but any device connecting to our company network MUST have anti-virus. The previous stance of Mac being far better than windows for security is no longer relevant, if you don’t want to protect your Mac because Apple doesn’t advise it, then fine, but don’t pretend that the publicised vulnerabilities and software screwups at Apple aren’t real.

5yrs ago, different story.....

Going by this, why do you use fingerprint unlock or faceID if you always have your phone on you? Same scenario?

Going by this, why do you use fingerprint unlock or faceID if you always have your phone on you? Same scenario?

Am I missing something, you're comparing a locking/password system to viruses etc hardly the same scenario. You always have your phone with you right up to the point you put it down and forget it...

Am I missing something, you're comparing a locking/password system to viruses etc hardly the same scenario. You always have your phone with you right up to the point you put it down and forget it...

It’s the point of a security mechanism put in place to prevent access/abuse in case a scenario arises, nobody goes out to lose/forget their phone in the same way that nobody goes out to get a virus or malware, but in all cases these things happen.

Precaution is better in either case, unauthorised access either physically, remotely or pre-programmed is still unauthorised access

Last edited:
It’s the point of a security mechanism put in place to prevent access/abuse in case a scenario arises, nobody goes out to lose/forget their phone in the same way that nobody goes out to get a virus or malware, but in all cases these things happen.

Precaution is better in either case, unauthorised access either physically, remotely or pre-programmed is still unauthorised access

I can see where you're coming from but it's really nothing like it. If you loose or misplace your phone without say fingerprint or faceID 100% of the people who find it will be able to access your information within seconds. In the case of malware only a incredibly small number of people would even have a clue how to utilise it.

There is nothing completely secure even the anti virus software you install if you believe the US and its claims of Russian spying. There were plenty of companies/organisations that got caught with the last round of ransomware and most of those would have anti-virus/malware. Having it also leads to a problem because people become complacent thinking they are immune and probably don't take other precautions as a result.

Completely agree. I’ve been a Mac user since 2008 and never had antivirus installed. Just make sure your day to day user doesn’t have admin privileges and use common sense.

I suggest that rather than take some peoples opinions that Macs don't get virus's because of their OS, that you read this article and then take your decision based on your working practices.
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/m...uses-do-macs-need-antivirus-software-3454926/

Macs generally have more informed, higher skilled users, as such they won't just click OK to get rid of a message. It's true PC's were more vulnerable, but this was also because they were a much bigger target with many more users,however the majority is attacks are malware or disk encryption. Java based attacks from website are also on the increase, but these vulnerabilities are usually patched quickly, so it's worth keeping that upto date. Mac malware attacks have increased significantly this year although XProtect and Gatekeeper are decent built in apps. There have been vulnerabilities discovered in the OS in the past, such as the recent password discovery, or the DMA access that was patched last year but generally these would require physical access.

Ok, I will put my hands up and state that I do not have anti virus on my machine. To be honest I cannot see the point if you only use it with proper applications, ie; built in apps, post processing apps from recognised companies, other software from reputable companies.

People who get this malware that everyone keeps on talking about do so out of foolishness, they have to install it themselves, I don't think you can install anything without user input but the experts out there will correct me if I'm wrong.

Last year my brother (who is not very computer literate) installed an update to flash player after visiting a website which told him his was out of date, guess what, it wasn't a flash player update but a programme called Mackeeper.
Biggest mistake he could make and now he has learned his lesson and does not update anything unless he asks me first if its OK.

Would an antivirus programme have stopped him installing Mackeeper I wonder ?

I supported a floor of designers for 10 years. I call lies!

:p

We don't have issues with Mac users, until they try to connect together, transfer files over anything other than USB devices ;) Quite a few creatives love them

Ok, I will put my hands up and state that I do not have anti virus on my machine. To be honest I cannot see the point if you only use it with proper applications, ie; built in apps, post processing apps from recognised companies, other software from reputable companies.

People who get this malware that everyone keeps on talking about do so out of foolishness, they have to install it themselves, I don't think you can install anything without user input but the experts out there will correct me if I'm wrong.

Last year my brother (who is not very computer literate) installed an update to flash player after visiting a website which told him his was out of date, guess what, it wasn't a flash player update but a programme called Mackeeper.
Biggest mistake he could make and now he has learned his lesson and does not update anything unless he asks me first if its OK.

Would an antivirus programme have stopped him installing Mackeeper I wonder ?

What if an application is built using compromised code and distributed from the app store?

This article shows iOS applications in the official App Store that had malware. There is no sensible reason to think that this couldn’t happen on the OSX App Store.

Back