Macbook broken.....

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys

Wouldn't boot this morning.
Looks like the HDD is missing.
Tried restoring but when it asks me to select a disk, there isn't one.

In utilities this is what I'm seeing....
Any thoughts?
Is it totally goosed?
20200209_103136.jpg

It's now offered the choice of disk as OSX base system.

Last edited:
so it's seeing the disk now but not booting still?
Hi
It's all very odd.
After a lot of messing about, it detected the proper disk and it's working again.
I'm glad its fixed, but don't have a clue what happened.

taking the disk out and putting it back in would have probably fixed this, might have just been a loose connection, still make sure you have a daily bootable backup using carbon copy cloner- and also switch the hard drive out for an ssd, the difference will be amazing

taking the disk out and putting it back in would have probably fixed this, might have just been a loose connection, still make sure you have a daily bootable backup using carbon copy cloner- and also switch the hard drive out for an ssd, the difference will be amazing
I did take the disk out but it still didn't work.
An ssd is on the cards.
I'll check out carbon copy cloner.
Thanks

If it’s a MacBook Pro 13-inch of the mid 2012-2015 variety (which has an optical drive fitted still) it’s probably the hard drive flex cable with the issue not the drive itself as the symptom you get will be no drive seen at all. Most drive failures i would expect the drive to be visible still.

HD dying. Nothing more certain.

If it’s a MacBook Pro 13-inch of the mid 2012-2015 variety (which has an optical drive fitted still) it’s probably the hard drive flex cable with the issue not the drive itself as the symptom you get will be no drive seen at all. Most drive failures i would expect the drive to be visible still.

Depends if its a physical failure or controller board. Board quite often means not visible in my experience. I've had maybe one cable error in 25 years.

I've ordered a new cable as well.
Have been wanting a ssd so not a problem if it's not the drive.

So, I've installed the ssd and a new cable and...wow!
What a difference. :)

I've only got 8gb of Ram though and wondered if upping it to 16gb would make much difference?

I've only got 8gb of Ram though and wondered if upping it to 16gb would make much difference?
It did for me, the combination of SSD & 16GB RAM has kept this very old Dell laptop trotting along nicely with everything I throw at it :)

Try it with the ssd first bob. Ram not quite as important now with ssd read/ write speeds.

computer upgrades are very logical, you will see a difference if you find yourself running out of ram- if you never exceed more than the 8gb of ram you have right now, there will be zero difference in performance
but still you may as well upgrade it as it's probably a very economical upgrade to make and it is likely you will be exceeding 8gb on a modern system

Back