Macbook decisions!

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, the time has come for me to switch over to mac, I just need a couple of nudges along to assist with my decision!

I currently have a 3 year old Dell desktop, spec as follows:
Intel Q6600 quad core processor
4gb RAM
500gb HDD
ATI 3650 256mb graphics

I'm going for a Macbook of some sort, just not sure which...

1. Macbook Pro 13", base spec, £999
dual core i5, 4gb RAM, 320gb HDD, integrated graphics

2. Macbook Pro 15", base spec, £1,549
quad core i5, 4gb RAM, 500gb HDD, dedicated graphics

3. Macbook Air 13", top spec, £1,449
dual core i7, 4gb RAM, 256gb SSD, integrated graphics

Now, my main question lies around the graphics performance... Do applications like Lightroom really use that much graphics power, or is most of the work just shoved towards the processor?

So would I benefit from having the 15" Pro with ATI card, or would the integrated chipsets of the 13" Pro & Air models suffice for my usage? I do intend to do some video work as well, but the photos are of course my main thing.

The idea of getting the 13" Air and pairing an i7 processor with solid state storage is quite frankly like this - :love:

...or would I be just as well off buying the basic 13" model and upgrading the HDD and RAM myself?

Depends, are you going to be travelling with it a lot or is it going to be more of a desktop replacement? If it's the former, then the Air, if it's the latter get a 15" and choose the high res screen option. Upgrade the RAM and HDD yourself, Apple charge ridiculous prices for RAM. The 13" would be a good balance between portability, connectivity and power although the screen is pretty low res. As for Lightroom, it's more RAM and CPU dependent.

Do applications like Lightroom really use that much graphics power
No. They use 2D acceleration only which the modern i3/5/7 processors have covered by the integrated graphics.

The i7 in the top end MBA is only a 1.7GHz dual core i7. It's going to be lacking compared to the quad core i7s for anything that can run on multi-cores. You can get a MUCH better spec'd PC for about 60% of the price.... Battery life will be nice, but performance will not be up there with current high spec i7 quad core systems. The SSD will negate some of the performance loss though.

If you're doing video editing and using Premiere Pro, video acceleration is ONLY on Nvidia graphics cards. Any MBP with ATI is going to be unable to use graphics acceleration. It'll still run Premiere Pro, but you won't be able to use CUDA acceleration (and it does make a significant difference as my overclocked i7-2600k performance was significantly improved by using my GT450 card in PPro).

As already mentioned it really depends if it's going to be replacement for your desktop or else. If that's the case go for the 15" as you will get a bigger screen.
I have the 13" one myself (I have iMac 27" so don't need much screen here) and the performance has been good and I use Photoshop, InDesign and I even edited video with After Effects on it and all was good!
But if you are more concerned about moving around get the Air or 13" (it gets a little tiring if you carry it for long, that's why I got iPad too!)

Hope it helps, I'd be glad to help more if needed.
Good luck

The new Cinema display is something to look at too, acts as a docking station now via thunderbolt, more usb, ethernet, speakers HD camera ETC

Thanks people, all good points made! I think the 13" Air is out, because it doesn't actually have Firewire ports...

Whilst i'm not after a full-on desktop replacement at this stage, I don't want to be taking a backwards step in terms of processor performance from what I currently have - I'm concerned that the 13" Pro only comes with dual core processors, a bit like the Air (although as arad85 said, the SSD ought to help out performance in the Air)

Oh, cock-up on my part - just noticed the 15" Pro model actually has a quad core i7. Looks like that might be the way forward!

I've been having a similar question running through my head lately. I've had an ipad for a year now and love the form factor but can sometimes do with a proper keyboard. Given my proper Samsung laptop is now 5 years old I could really do with something inbetween, hence thinking Macbook Air.

Problem is (a) cost and (b) screen size. 13" would be fine, but the cost of an air at that size is rather laughable, even if I do buy it through my work and get the VAT off.

Are there any real windows alternatives that don't break the bank?

Are there any real windows alternatives that don't break the bank?
Dell do some nice XPS models. I have an i7-2630QM (i.e. quad core i7) with full HD screen, 8G memory, 750G HDD with pretty decent battery life. Available now for < £800. There's also Asus and Acer versions which are the same price/cheaper but have different tradeoffs. Dell also do a thin XPS with full HD screen that is around £810 (http://www.dell.com/uk/p/performance-deals?~ck=anav and use the 15% discount coupon on the link on the right) but that's an i5 dual core (but quad thread) rather than an i7 quad core (and hence octo thread).

If you want to see the XPS i7, just customise the link on the left of the above link. I'm very happy with mine - even if it would now be £50 cheaper as they're offering 15% off rather than 10%....

Thanks people, all good points made! I think the 13" Air is out, because it doesn't actually have Firewire ports...

Whilst i'm not after a full-on desktop replacement at this stage, I don't want to be taking a backwards step in terms of processor performance from what I currently have - I'm concerned that the 13" Pro only comes with dual core processors, a bit like the Air (although as arad85 said, the SSD ought to help out performance in the Air)

Oh, cock-up on my part - just noticed the 15" Pro model actually has a quad core i7. Looks like that might be the way forward!

Take a look at the Apple Refurb store [link on main store page] they have a few of the new Macbook Pro's on there with a 15%+ saving - comes with a 12 month warranty plus you can also get Applecare.

Do you really really need a portable? Too many people buy a macbook pro and have it sit on their desk its entire life.

Some real world problems with a macbook pro 15" I had:

-Cost - I was sweating and stressed everytime I went out with it, its not like a cheap phone where you could just go out and buy another one without thinking about it (unless you are dirty rich)

-not really that light after prolonged carrying around

-glossy screen is terrible outdoors or anywhere with lights, meaning shelling out another £100 for the anti-glare. Trust me you want the anti-glare unless you like looking at your own reflection

-really easy to damage, i saw a friends macbook pro fall from his lap onto the floor and the glass cracked, cost him £450 to get fixed. The aluminium makes it lighter and sturdy but drop it and it will dent like crazy

-gets really really really hot. I'm talking 90 odd degrees. Was on the train and i'm sure everyone was ****ed of by the fans on full blast. Don't expect to use it on your lap unless you value your "assets"...

Needless to say I got rid of my 15". Going to wait and see if they refresh the little 13" with a quad-core and better graphics and less heat for £800-900 later this year. Would solve most of the problems I had with my 15".

Sorry for the ramble, thought it might help:)

Sal, in that case why not get a current 13" air? By all reports they don't get hot and much lighter to carry. Otherwise very similar specs processor excluded....

Costs the same too.

With regard to doing your own upgrades, your definitely ok with the ram, but cracking it open to upgrade the hdd my invalidate the warranty. Possibly worth checking this out upfront.

I have the new MacBook Air & its great for travelling & almost as powerful now as my IMac I7. Battery life is fantastic & if an overnight stay dont even need my power supply in fact went to Glasgow last week & used it for 3 days without power.

What are the temperatures like on the Macbook Air?

I've had my Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 13" for a while now....but it annoys me that I have to use a laptop cooler in order to actually use the damn thing as a laptop.

The build and form factor is lovely, but the heat gets really annoying.

Reportedly temperatures in use are controlled very well on both new and old models.

I've not tried it 'real-life' but from a few video reviews the new ones fan hardly ever kicks in (unless encoding or tackling other processor-hungry tasks)....

I've been using a MBP for nearly 3 years now and had no problems with it overheating aor any similar problem. In fact used it as a desktop replacement for several months driving a 24" monitor. The screen is very good as well, despite being glossy

It handles 1Dslll files with no problems ( even considering it's a pre i processor) upgraded RAM to 4Gb though. Only problem is that the HDD is a bit small, but then the images are offloaded to external storage anyway. Battery life is about 2-2 1/2 hrs when used with editing images. However latest MPB have larger batteries.

As far as theft etc is concerned It's insured and I take reasonable precautions. I don't think Mac's are anymore attractive to thieves than any other laptop. If you are still concerned load a copy of MacKeeper. It's a "tidy up you Mac" utility, but does have theft tracking facility. Identifies where it is . using the IP address and takes pics of thief

cyprino - do you not know anyone in education, you can get a hefty discount on the macbook pros plus the apple are warranty is really cheap. (£49 i think instead of the normal £250). i just got my sister the latest 13" macbook pro with apple care for just a touch over £800.. Plus get discounts on software etc as well... i then paid another £58 and she now running 8gb ram :)

Last edited:
What are the temperatures like on the Macbook Air?

I've had my Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 13" for a while now....but it annoys me that I have to use a laptop cooler in order to actually use the damn thing as a laptop.

The build and form factor is lovely, but the heat gets really annoying.

No heat problems at all with the MB Air

cyprino - do you not know anyone in education, you can get a hefty discount on the macbook pros plus the apple are warranty is really cheap. (£49 i think instead of the normal £250). i just got my sister the latest 13" macbook pro with apple care for just a touch over £800.. Plus get discounts on software etc as well... i then paid another £58 and she now running 8gb ram :)

Yep, got a few friends at university, going to be making a few phone calls when I've got some cash together :p
Did you do the RAM upgrade yourself? Even with student discount, to let Apple do it would still cost a freakin' bomb.

Yep, got a few friends at university, going to be making a few phone calls when I've got some cash together :p
Did you do the RAM upgrade yourself? Even with student discount, to let Apple do it would still cost a freakin' bomb.

Yeah done the upgrade myself.. got the RAM from Crucial.. I work in IT for a UNI anyway so Easy to do, Plus we got a MAC certified Tech here, so any problems i do get let him sort if i cant..

The i7 in the top end MBA is only a 1.7GHz dual core i7. It's going to be lacking compared to the quad core i7s for anything that can run on multi-cores. You can get a MUCH better spec'd PC for about 60% of the price....

he has already said in the OP he's looking at a mac, it's not a pc or mac laptop debate it's a "which macbook" debate

Argh, just as I was pretty much set on the 15" Macbook Pro, I decided to have a look at the Mac Mini... whatever I get is pretty much going to be a desktop replacement.

Mac Mini can be spec'd to the following:

2.7GHz dual core i7
4GB memory (i'd upgrade to 8GB myself)
500GB HDD
AMD 6630 graphics
external Superdrive for DVDs etc
magic mouse + wireless keyboard
DVI adaptor (to use with existing 24" monitor and cabling)

All for £986, thereabouts.

I feel a headache coming on, again :LOL:

Personally id go for the 13inch macbook pro,
with an i5 with 4gb of ram should run photoshop CS5 fine, (i have the same but with a core 2 duo and have no speed issues) and if you wonted to speed it up a bit you could always add in a bit of ram your self)

Id go for the 13 inch just because for me its the perfect size, great for travailing but it doesn't feel to small when being used

Jack

Back