MacBook issue - not detecting USB Drive

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Having an annoying issue. Have a 2yo MacBook for work. I want to use Time Machine from my personal MacBook to copy all my photos across in Photos as I want to get some from last year. Thought I would import from TM to work laptop, then copy over the images to personal one.

But plugging in the USB HD it won't show on the screen. Tried all ports, even went into system info and the name of the drive etc is showing up so the MacBook knows it is connected but I cant access it - couldn't use airdrop either! Any suggestions?

Can you use TM in that way?
Why not just copy your photos onto the USB drive and then copy onto your other machine?

Can you use TM in that way?
Why not just copy your photos onto the USB drive and then copy onto your other machine?
Yes, in theory I can plug TM into a new Mac and just copy everything over from a backup

If it’s a work laptop, it may well be barred from mounting volumes on unauthorised USB external drives. It’s certainly an option available to administrators on managed devices like Mac laptops (I have been one of those administrators in previous roles).

My company’s IT policy prohibits attaching drives not supplied by the company to my work MacBook Pro. Most enterprises ought to do something similar.

Last edited:
If it’s a work laptop, it may well be barred from mounting volumes on unauthorised USB external drives. It’s certainly an option available to administrators on managed devices like Mac laptops (I have been one of those administrators in previous roles).

My company’s IT policy prohibits attaching drives not supplied by the company to my work MacBook Pro. Most enterprises ought to do something similar.

Possibly, although this was sent to me brand new from Amazon by work so their IT has not touched it

Yes, in theory I can plug TM into a new Mac and just copy everything over from a backup
You can restore part of a backup to the same machine and you can setup a new machine from another TM backup but can you restore part of a backup from one machine to another?

Plug the drive in then open up the Disk Utility app - you should see the drive there but greyed out - select the "mount " option in the top right hand corner - and you should then be able to see the drive in Finder and access it. I don't think you can just copy files over from a backup - you may have to use the time machine app to restore files.

Having an annoying issue. Have a 2yo MacBook for work. I want to use Time Machine from my personal MacBook to copy all my photos across in Photos as I want to get some from last year. Thought I would import from TM to work laptop, then copy over the images to personal one.

But plugging in the USB HD it won't show on the screen. Tried all ports, even went into system info and the name of the drive etc is showing up so the MacBook knows it is connected but I cant access it - couldn't use airdrop either! Any suggestions?

Have you set the FINDER settings to show external drives?

Back