i1pro displays
Spyder 5
Colourmunki

Hi

You need one of these devices to calibrate the screen:

i1pro displays
Spyder 5
Colourmunki

I am of the understanding that macbook screens are less sophisticated than stand alone units/ Mac's. Which of these is most accurate, efficient, and cost effective for macbooks?

I appreciate your help :)

I have not calibrated my MacBook but for my mac I use the i1displaypro and am happy with it. I had issues with Spyder4pro with my second screen not being correctly calibrated.

Sorry cannot help re the MacBook.

Find a cheap second hand spyder and install displaycal. Much better than the standard software, plus you can get the low end device (the spyder are all the same hardware, just the software that makes them express, pro, elite).

Neil,

I did try displaycal with the i1displaypro but was not 100% happy with the calibration, might be a users error.

Been fine for me since I replaced my faulty Spyder 3. Got a spyder 4 from the classifieds here and was much better.

My fault was diagnosed by the displaycal guys on their forum too, posted the output from the software and they identified the readings from the hardware were on the wonk.

Last edited:
I just calibrated my 2016 MacBook Pro yesterday with a Spyder 5 Pro. Seems to have done a good job. The MBP was set on Colour RCD which I believe is the P3 Gamut.I am wondering though if I should be using this or sRGB or AdobeRGB for photography... Their P3 gamut is similar to Adobe RGB though slightly different in which colours it favours.

I find the subject of wide gamuts v sRGB quite confusing. I use Lightroom and/or Capture One and photos are saved in Jpeg and RAW.

A bit late to advise on the hardware, so a small bit of advise, If your Macbook Pro has the illuminated apple behind the screen tape some black paper over it whilst running the calibration, it is lit by the screen illumination and can (not always) skew the monitor profile.

Back