MACBOOK PRO

But you'd also use a desktop too, where a mouse and a keyboard is a standard configuration.
No, it's more to do with the fact I can do more with one hand precisely with the mouse whilst keeping the other hand on the keyboard for shortcuts.

I still need my computer to be portable - I use it more on tables where I can use a mouse, but I do still need to move it around with me.

But yes, I would prefer a laptop with a nicer touchpad to a horrible one.

I find it easier to have both, I need my/a computer to be portable, but doing any hardcore document or spreadsheet making I find I need big dual screens anyway.

I wouldn't be able to cope for long without an ultra sensitive mouse plugged in. It speeds everything up, and certain things you just can't do without a mouse. - Gaming for example.

If someone invents a trackpad with the same control as a mouse, that could be used as a full substitute for everything, then sure I will use one. One doesn't exist like that yet.

Not true about the gaming, iv just completed the half-life 2 series (thats including expansion) and portal and iv played a fair bit of TF2 (yup i bought the orange box)
so you can game with a trackpad, just gotta lear how :)

I thought is logged in to "troll photography" for a moment
thats odd i think we both must have ended up on that website :p

in all seriousness, i think some people need to chill a little

Jack (y)

Plus i always use my laptop in bed and on my lap, isn't that why i bought a laptop not a desktop???
The only time its not on my lap is if im doing series work, even then its often on my lap, id prefer to use my laptop how i want and have it for a shorter time than worry about its life span and not get full use out of it

How much would you estimate im shortening its life by?? a few months or half a year, cant see it being to much more than that, can you??

Jack

I have a 15" Mbp love it but when I'm at home I connect it to my 27" apple cinema display which is great for my photographic work so I have the best of both worlds. The thing to remember is if you decide to sell a mac after a couple of years you'll get good money back for it can you say the same for a pc? No chance.

Plus i always use my laptop in bed and on my lap, isn't that why i bought a laptop not a desktop???
The only time its not on my lap is if im doing series work, even then its often on my lap, id prefer to use my laptop how i want and have it for a shorter time than worry about its life span and not get full use out of it

How much would you estimate im shortening its life by?? a few months or half a year, cant see it being to much more than that, can you??

Jack

If the fans are constantly blocked, it would probably last around 6 months. If it's always on a bed, depending on the make, the amount of use, and a couple of other variables - 6 months to a year or two. - That's an estimate based on what I've seen.

Laptop is a misnomer. They are not designed to be put on beds and laps - the majority of models intake air from underneither - if this is blocked you may find the laptop will get very hot, and shutdown after a few hours of use. - Especially heavy processor use.

It depends on exactly how much you use it, and where, and the design of it etc. But you can significantly shorten the life of it.

If the fans are constantly blocked, it would probably last around 6 months. If it's always on a bed, depending on the make, the amount of use, and a couple of other variables - 6 months to a year or two. - That's an estimate based on what I've seen.

Laptop is a misnomer. They are not designed to be put on beds and laps - the majority of models intake air from underneither - if this is blocked you may find the laptop will get very hot, and shutdown after a few hours of use. - Especially heavy processor use.

It depends on exactly how much you use it, and where, and the design of it etc. But you can significantly shorten the life of it.

ok know you've started to worry me, its a late 2008 unibody mac book (the aluminium one)

It gets hot but it never turns off, nothing to heavy on the processor (just web browsing and watching online programs, (i do most heavy stuff like photoshopping when its on a desk)

Is there much risk of it breaking, should i be using it on a desk more, (its already 3 years old and id lie it to last for at east another 2 years)

Any way how would a bed be different to a desk, surely there both flat??

Jack

Last edited:
Personally, I would use it on a desk more. Check what temperatures it's getting too, and if it's significantly hotter than it was when new - try giving it a clean.

Putting it on fabric sucks in dust and fibres. Overheating is normally caused by dust in the heat sink and vents. There are some threads around her somewhere about cleaning laptops. If you clean it, it shouldn't heat up as much as it will cool more efficiently.

well i got it second hand so i don't know what t was like new, o and i did here somewhere that about %70 of computer problems were caused by dust,
Iv put it on a book so it should be more flat, ill have a clean of it in a bit, then check if theres a heat difference, thanks for the advise

Jack

someguy201 said:

Spot on. A lot of manufacturers now refer to them as.notebooks instead

If you do go for the MacBook Pro don't buy it from pixmania on what looked like a really good deal, it was dead on arrival. They collected it and gave me a refund then refused to replace it. They refused to give me their address to start an action in the county court and their parent group Dixons ignored my complaints too.
After posting messages on various complain sites Pixmania eventually relented but I still ended up paying a little more than the original deal.
Pixmania's business ethics are not good enough.

Wouldn't touch compressed air with a barge pole

Whys that? I wouldn't put it near a camera, but it should be fine for a PC.

Personally, I usually just open up the casing and brush over everything, but that's me.

Thought the MBP doesn't have vents - it uses the hinge on the screen to let air in. Plus, the aluminium casing acts to disperse the heat (maybe not so good for your googlies though)...

According to a friend who owns one, there aren't any vents on the bottom. (Much better design than the majority of laptops).

Providing the vents aren't being blocked (air intake vents are still vents, regardless of where they are), you should be fine to use it on a bed etc. But if it's several years old, it could always do with a clean anyway. There will be dust build-up even if it's in the cleanest of environments.

Just had a close look at mine and there's clearly a gap along the bottom of the hinge that allows air to vent. Providing that's not blocked up then I'm sure the MBP will remain cool at all times. Never had any problems myself - the only time I've had any issues with the fan working overtime was the last few days before I did a fresh erase and install... seemed that some of the system and network preferences, plus my full HD were making my mac act a little crazy. All sorted now and it's cool and noise-free :)

with regard to trackpad vs mouse I find it depends on what task you are doing. I have a multi touch trackpad for my iMac and I really like it.

Surfing the web is much nicer with the trackpad than a mouse, all the back and forward gestures and scrolling gestures make it so

Editing photos - neither, I use a pen

fiel management or anything where i have to do a lot of mouse clicks i use the mouse, having a dedicated mouse button makes life easier for things like that

Back