macbook screen problem

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
My shiny wonderful macbook has deveoped a problem. Sometimes the screen flickers, whatever is displayed gets horizonatal lines through it and is resolved by moving the screen, which solves it until the next time. This is extremely annoying, and the problem is that both the GF and I have lots of cofidential work data on there, and do no fancy taking it back to PC world to have to be sent to apple as we use it so much.

How are apple with problmms such as these?

Would it be a case of having to have it sent away, as we both rely on it so much for everyday work use.

Could going into an apple store be an alternative to taking it back to PC world?

Just never dealt with apple before, and wonder what their customer services are like with problems such as these?

It sounds like either a dodgey/loose screen wire (going from the GFX to the screen) or a dodgey GFX card (maybe overheating). You may be able to fix it yourself if you are reasonably technologically minded (especially the former). :)

If you can get to an Apple store that will be the best bet, I had mine prebooked in and they were able to fix it while I waited.

If you are worried about confidential data ( ;) ) enable filevault (if you have confidential data you should have already!) and the guest account. That way they won't need any passwords to test your laptop and your confidential stuff will be encrypted.

Under warranty your Macbook should be repaired promptly. Do not return to PC World, that will only introduce delays or they may simply say just take it to an Apple store or an AASP (Apple Authorised Service Provider). An Apple store may be able to repair while you wait, or an AASP at best around 24 hours, as they cannot keep spares for warranty work, they are ordered from Apple on an overnight delivery. This is the typical best time to repair for the AASP I work for, all should strive to meet the same targets. If you were to take your Macbook to an AASP late in the day after the cut off point for ordering spares, this could add a day to the repair time. Shame I work in Hertfordshire and not Lincolnshire. Apple's web site will show where the nearest Apple store and AASP is located. As mentioned above, if worried about data security, enable Filevault. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Back