Machu Picchu - Help needed re camera holder!

Name
Georgina
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

Not sure if the title is really right but I do need pointing in the right direction please. I am going in a couple of months to do the Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu. I have a Nikon D7100. I will have a day bag rucksack to carry with various bits of none camera equipment and I will put my camera in this when not in use but while we are walking I am looking for something which will give me easy access to my camera. Maybe something which can be fastened to a belt or to the outside of the rucksack. I know there are slings but not sure that is the right thing as it I assume it would have to go under the rucksack which could then rub.

Hopefully one of you lovely people can give me some ideas.

Thanks in advance

:D

Firstly, sounds like a wonderfull trip (jealous.....................of course not ;) )

When I use my rucksack style camera bag I also use my Black Rapid sling which I put on first. In use I have never experienced rubbing but having said that and bearing in mind of just how rough is the track i.e. will having a sling hung camera swing and bash into rocks????

Therefore, I have heard/read good reviews for this product https://www.cottoncarrier.com/ this holds the camera against the body or waist so maybe be more suitable in the harder trekking situation??? I think I recall reading one review of a mountain biker using this system because the camera is not free swinging but readily available to take pictures.

HTH

:)

Peak Design Clip or PRO.

Interesting idea/product especially as compatible with use of Arca Swiss style plates..................though the weight would all be offset and not spread out. More fatiguing ???

you could get a toploader style bag and put it on your belt or have it on a strap to the side underneath your bag. alternatively, mindshift make a rotation bag, its like a bumbag that sits in the camera bag until you slide it out

R180_MINDSHIFT_TRAIL_web_charcoal_1024x1024.jpg

https://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/rotation180-trail

ive never used one and dont know if its any good but theyre made by thinktank and i have lots of thinktank stuff. just depends on how much you want to spend

When I trekked Machu Picchu I just used a decent camera strap and had it around my neck/should for the whole trek - there's beautiful things everywhere.

Same was true of Kilimanjaro and Sapa.

I like the Joby sling strap. The design allows its length to be easily cinched up so the camera sits snugly against the body under a protective arm if neccessary, while quickly lengthening when you pull the camera up to the eye to give maximum range of easy movement. The attachment to the camera tripod joint is also IMHO bigger, stronger, better engineered, and less liable to fail than the Back Rapid type. In practive, especially when using longer heavier lenses, I prefer to attach a long quick release plate with two tripod mounting holes on the camera. I attach the sling strap to the rear hole, and a tripod or monopod to the front one, allows quicker attaching and detaching of support 'pods because the sling can be left on.

However once the terrain gets scrambly enough to require several moves in succession requiring both hands on the rock I always bag the camera. I just hate that awful sound metal and glass make when hitting rock :)

Thanks very much everyone for your suggestions. I will have a look into them all tomorrow :D

I use the peak design sling strap still whilst wearing my rucksack. I do have one of the peak design clips but don't really get on with it as weight distribution is all one sided.

Nawty must have a neck like a tree trunk, I wouldn't fancy carrying a heavy DSLR around my neck whilst out trekking all day. I don't even like carrying my M4/3 around my neck for a full day.

Just to update you (if anyone is interested lol:D). I decided to go with the capture pro, it was just what I had imagined when I said I needed something. Its arrived today and clips beautifully to my rucksack, hopefully will get out in the next few days to give it a good try. Thanks again for the info:)

Back