MacOS Big Sur

Blimey, I only posted to see if anyone else was having the same issue. Didn't realise I'd have to justify upgrading. :rolleyes:
You should be ashamed of yourself having the temerity to upgrade to the latest. You should be using MS-Dos still, or maybe an abacus.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

On1 raw seems to be struggling with Big Sur, when I open it, it cannot access the files on my hard drive despite having sorted out all the permissions etc in the system tray, I sent a support request to ON1 and they were very quick in replying that at the moment, it is a known bug and they are working to fix it. Subsequently I have noticed that it does not seem to be working as an extension for apple photos any more. :(

Just to say ON1 have issued an update today which has to be downloaded and it seems to have fixed the issue with access to files on the hard drive from the Browse tab, unfortunately it still does not seem to be working as an extension to Apple Photos though I understand from their help pages they are aware and working on a fix!!

I use a late 2013 (2018 model) Mac Pro desktop but when I click the software update malarkey I get an error message saying the update server can't be found... Any ideas how I can fix it?

I'm currently running Mojave, main use is Capture one Fuji, PS CC and a few plugins plus the odd bit of web browsing.

I use a late 2013 (2018 model) Mac Pro desktop but when I click the software update malarkey I get an error message saying the update server can't be found... Any ideas how I can fix it?

I'm currently running Mojave, main use is Capture one Fuji, PS CC and a few plugins plus the odd bit of web browsing.
Oh dear, no, sorry no idea how to get round that, my update seemed to go fairly seamlessly, using a 2017 MacBook Pro. I was impressed with the speed of their response though when I sent an email to their support desk, so perhaps it is worth contacting them?

Wait for next update. It's been disabled to stop you bricking your laptop.

Well so far, touch wood, the only issue I have had is the MaAfee anti virus thingy. But I don't think I really ought to be concerned about that.

All my app's are behaving well, so far so good ;)

Apologies if this particular issue with macOS running Big Sur has already been covered. I decided yesterday to cancel my Adobe yearly subscription which renews next April. I now use Dx03 almost exclusively. I have already installed a purchased copy of Lightroom 6 so I thought I'd fire it up to check it's usability. I discover that I can't even load it, turns out that it's a 32 bit application and Big Sur won't recognise it!

Fortunately I have Win10 machine which I have primarily used for my 32bit games and other stuff that macOs handles badly such as some firmware updates. After much faffing about I've cleared this pc of all Adobe applications and successfully re-installed Lightroom 6. I've also been able to install my version of DxO 3 on that machine so I can try to integrate the two applications.

I sometimes feel that I'm being boxed into a corner by companies like Apple and Adobe with their sunscription policies and also reduction of usability following OS "upgrades".
I'd love to be able to use my iMac for everything but I can't, I have three keyboards on my desk! :LOL:

A Virtual machine is one way round that, I have a copy of Mohave in a virtual machine, for running my 32bit software.

I've got Parallels, which I've had for work for a wile now, running various Windows machines. It handles OSX really well, but I think you can also achieve the same with free ones, but I don't know which ones.

Apologies if this particular issue with macOS running Big Sur has already been covered. I decided yesterday to cancel my Adobe yearly subscription which renews next April. I now use Dx03 almost exclusively. I have already installed a purchased copy of Lightroom 6 so I thought I'd fire it up to check it's usability. I discover that I can't even load it, turns out that it's a 32 bit application and Big Sur won't recognise it!

Fortunately I have Win10 machine which I have primarily used for my 32bit games and other stuff that macOs handles badly such as some firmware updates. After much faffing about I've cleared this pc of all Adobe applications and successfully re-installed Lightroom 6. I've also been able to install my version of DxO 3 on that machine so I can try to integrate the two applications.

I sometimes feel that I'm being boxed into a corner by companies like Apple and Adobe with their sunscription policies and also reduction of usability following OS "upgrades".
I'd love to be able to use my iMac for everything but I can't, I have three keyboards on my desk! :LOL:
You do not have to upgrade to the so called latest and greatest, I still run Mojave (which does 32bit apps) and have no reason to upgrade to Catalina or Big Sur, they offer nothing extra for my needs, and Adobe CC works just fine.

You do not have to upgrade to the so called latest and greatest, I still run Mojave (which does 32bit apps) and have no reason to upgrade to Catalina or Big Sur, they offer nothing extra for my needs, and Adobe CC works just fine.

I think this is right, up to a point. 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard?) was for many a stop point of updating.

Unfortunately we cannot do Win 3.1 or OS7 any more - the development of computing means ever more sophisticated OSs and applications. Except when the function set of the applications is as much as you need and its hard to justify paying again and again for a bit more. (That's you, Adobe, you are being pwned by Affinity)

Security is a bigger issue, in the old days individual hackers found exploits and did funny things. Then viruses showed how easy it was to damage systems through user idiocy. When they could be weaponised for money or damage they hit big time. I have updated to newer OSs because my machines are on the internet and are therefore more vulnerable. Most exploits and weaknesses do not represent a threat, although anti-virus sellers websites and press releases will tell you different. For me, the point is that attacks are now largely automated (just have a look at a website log for the attempts to break into it - loads of WordPress exploit attacks etc.)

I'm probably not careful enough with my Mohave virtual machine, but it does sit inside MacOS 11 now. Alongside the XP Virtual machine :oops: :$

Sorry for the dribble, it's just how I see it as a computer user since 1974.

A Virtual machine is one way round that, I have a copy of Mohave in a virtual machine, for running my 32bit software.

Sadly not for any colour-sensitive graphics applications, expect an isolated case where you are running specifically an sRGB monitor profile, which defeats the purpose of any serious editing. I find virtual boxes are completely incapable of recognising adobe RGB and colours are a complete vomit like mess.

I think this is right, up to a point. 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard?) was for many a stop point of updating.

If they stopped at Snow Leper - Apple's 'Vista' - then they were off their heads. But I would agree with the need to keep updating for security reasons unless the machine is air-gapped from the internet.

If they stopped at Snow Leper - Apple's 'Vista' - then they were off their heads.
I know a couple of people who have old CoreDuo based MacBooks; SL10.6.8 is the end of the line for them as Apple dropped 32-bit processor support after that, and they don't want to junk a machine that's still working.

I know a couple of people who have old CoreDuo based MacBooks; SL10.6.8 is the end of the line for them as Apple dropped 32-bit processor support after that, and they don't want to junk a machine that's still working.
Indeed. There's no good reason to stop using something that's working.

Tim Cook may di$$$agree. :p
We're well into double digits on his products so I reckon he ought to be polite! :naughty: The wife's just got herself a new 16" MBP and here it is communing with its predecessor from 2012...

2011 and 2019 MacBook Pros GX7 P1140558.JPG

My core 2 Duo machine went up to Mountain Lion IIRC. I bought Snow Leper for it around 6 months after it was released in the hope of getting the bug-fixed version, but after 2 weeks of not being able to print, having external monitor, email issues and various other bits of misbehaviour I had to revert to 10.5.8. It was a work machine and I simply couldn't mess around any longer - my experience with 10.6 was one of the reasons returning to Windows was such a relief.

The Core2 chips were 64-bit; the early models would run up to 10.7 Lion, the later 45nm chips were supposed to be able to run up to El Capitan.
If you bought SL on disk, they never released anything later than 10.6.3. The later versions were download only.

Back