MacOS Big Sur

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone installed it yet? I just get an error message.

Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 22.25.21.png

I’ve been running the beta on my MacBook for a couple of months now with no real problems. My wife installed it on her MacBook Air today and so far so good. I know it might seem obvious but is your disk space enough?

Last edited:
I’ve been running the beta on my MacBook for a couple of months now with no real problems. My wife installed it on her MacBook Air today and so far so good. I know it might seem obvious but is your disk space enough?

Definitely enough disk space,

Just tried it again and it seems to be working ok now. (y)

I'm still on Mojave lol

why try to fix something that is not broke, seems that Big Sur is just good if you have an iPad, sen reviews on the tube and it is not for me, but YMMV

Anyone installed it yet? I just get an error message.

View attachment 298694

I have just finished the Big Sur update now, took about 20 mins to do. I have only had my iMac 2020 for about a week but the change I can see so far with the update is, the Launchpad is now colourful square boxes in a square and the mail is now an envelope.

I'm upgrading my MacBook Pro as we speak, everything appears to be going well so hopefully no problems.

Hmm, is this normal? Been like it for about 10 minutes.

8792337F-6F7D-48F0-8FCC-079EC54AA00E.jpeg

It's an upgrade, it's not "fixing" anything. Nothing wrong with having the latest operating system, it's not as if it's costing anything.
While I understand the sentiment, it's only an upgrade for the user if it makes things better. We've probably all had 'upgrades' from both main OS camps that broke stuff we used without making a positive difference. An update for security reasons is different, but also shouldn't change how we work.

While I understand the sentiment, it's only an upgrade for the user if it makes things better. We've probably all had 'upgrades' from both main OS camps that broke stuff we used without making a positive difference. An update for security reasons is different, but also shouldn't change how we work.

Blimey, I only posted to see if anyone else was having the same issue. Didn't realise I'd have to justify upgrading. :rolleyes:

I'm just downloading it now on my 2015 iMac, after moving Lightroom 6.14 over to the older 2008 iMac 24 so it can keep running (Catalina would have scuppered it, the old machine is on El Capitan. I'll need to add some memory to the old one for LR, but it should be fine. I have them networked together so I can pull images into Affinity on the newer one if I need the bigger better screen.

All done and dusted now and appears to be working just fine. Didn't realize it would take so long it first upgraded to I think it was 11.0.1 and then went more or less wanted to upgrade to 12.0.8 I think it was.

Anyone intending to do any music production in Big Sur might want to wait for a while. As with Catalina, some plugin makers are advising you to wait until they've ensured compatibility. I've had emails from Output and Sonivox on the subject.

Edit
I've had the same warning from Native Instruments today.

Edit
And now they're saying that Big Sur can damage NI hardware!

Edit
I've just tried using my Alicia's Keys instrument in GarageBand and Logic Pro under Big Sur and it seems to work fine.

Last edited:
Mine is done now too. It took about 2 hours all told, and now I'm getting used to some of the changes but so far ok

The McAfee BT virus software has some compatibility issues at the moment though. Something to do with the firewall.

ON1 Photo RAW 2020.5 seems to be running fine, though obviously I haven't had a chance to test everything.
Affinity Photo 1.8.6 loads and runs OK but I haven't had time to do anything much with it yet. The same with Luminar 4.
PhotoSync 4.0 works fine transferring photos in both directions from iPhone to Mac and back.
Gimp 2.1 loads and seems to work OK.
Polarr Photo Editor 5.10.21 loads and seems to work OK.
ExifStudio 2.5 loads and seems to work OK.

For video producers:
DaVinci Resolve 16 loads and runs. I'll be doing some video processing in the days to come to test it more fully.
DaVinci Resolve 17 loads and runs on my old MacBook Pro 2015, but I haven't done anything with it yet.
Shotcut 20.07.11 loads and seems to run.
Openshot 2.5.1 loads and seems to run.
Handbrake 1.3.3 loads and seems to run.

Take all this with a pinch of salt and a jar of caution as bugs often don't turn up until the program has been running a while, and they seem to hide in the most obscure places. I use On1 Photo RAW every day, but almost exclusively for asset management. And I'll be using DaVinci Resolve quite a bit. I'll report on anything I find.

If you are a music producer, you might like to know that the following AUs run well under Logic Pro 10.6.0:
Virtual Synths
KV331 Audio SynthMaster 2.9 and SynthMaster One
Lennar Digital Sylenth1
Native Instruments Kontakt 5
Native Instruments Massive
Sonic Academy ANA 2 and Kick 2
Spitfire Audio BBCSO Disover and LABS
Synapse Audio Dune and Dune 3
u-He Hive
Xfer Records Serum
Effects
iZotope Neutron 2 Advanced, Ozone 9 Elements, Ozone Imager 2, Vinyl
Valhalla VintageVerb, Supermassive
Edit
I thought Neutron 2 Advanced was working but must have got it confused with another AU. N2 Advanced won't install, nor will N2 Elements, nor version 1. Hopefully, iZotope will provide a fix.

Last edited:
Photoshop seems to be fine on mine - upgraded MBP 2015 yesterday

I can't get "Pages" "iMovie" "Garage Band" to fire up since the update. When I click on their icons it just says waiting in a small bar at the bottom of the icon.

Also "Libre Office" will not open now since the update. It just says something like permissions not granted etc. I do remember this also happening with "Libre Office" when Catalina came out, but I can't remember how I did the work around to get it working properly.

Anyone else having any of these problems?

George.

I can't get "Pages" "iMovie" "Garage Band" to fire up since the update. When I click on their icons it just says waiting in a small bar at the bottom of the icon.

Also "Libre Office" will not open now since the update. It just says something like permissions not granted etc. I do remember this also happening with "Libre Office" when Catalina came out, but I can't remember how I did the work around to get it working properly.

Anyone else having any of these problems?

George.

I don't use pages but I just opened it and all is fine.

George, I think you may need to go to 'preferences', the 'security and access' then 'privacy' and add Libre Office to the list of allowed apps for your files and folders. Hope that makes sense?

George, I think you may need to go to 'preferences', the 'security and access' then 'privacy' and add Libre Office to the list of allowed apps for your files and folders. Hope that makes sense?

Jak, Many thanks for that it was something like that I did when I wanted to enable Libre Office after the Catalina update. This time I just can't get it to work. I'll keep trying though.

George.

Jak, Many thanks for that it was something like that I did when I wanted to enable Libre Office after the Catalina update. This time I just can't get it to work. I'll keep trying though.

George.

@Norkie Jak, I think I might have found out what the problem is. I googled the problem and the answers that came up were version 7 and above of Libre Office are the only versions that will run on Big Sur. My copy is 6. something so I need to download a later version, I haven’t the time just now but will endeavour to give it a go tomorrow.

George.

Last edited:
Oh I see, thanks for that.

IF you have 2013 or 2014 macbook pro you just might want to hold out for a little longer.

Some users reported their devices are getting bricked. I will certainly wait another update as mine could be affected.

It installed OK on my early 2015 13" MBP, for anyone that needs to know.

On my 2020 13" MBP with the series 10 Intel processor, 32GB RAM, and 1 TB drive, DaVinci Resolve seems to run slower than it did under Catalina, when displaying the video clips and timeline that I'm editing. It stutters, whereas it didn't before, and a bit more so in full screen mode. If I set it to half res, it's OK, though. However, rendering an MP4 seems up to 25% faster than under Catalina. I'd rather it was the other way round - stutter-free while editing and slow render which I can do overnight. I should point out that I upgraded to DaVinci Resolve 17 beta yesterday so that could be what's causing the slowdown.

I've now managed to get "Pages" "iMovie" "Garage Band" updated without losing any data etc. All it needed was for me to re-boot my MacBook Pro. I normally leave it in sleep mode which is exactly what I have done since the Big Sur update.

Just gotta get Libre Office version 7+ downloaded and running now and then hopefully everything will be back to normal.

I've never understood why Mac owners don't reboot frequently: mine used to be less tardy after a reboot, memory management not being a strong point of OSX with a non-apple browser.

Had a strange one this morning. I logged in and Finder had disappeared. Nothing I could do would get it back, Force Quit, restarting, killall -KILL Finder, nothing. After doing a bit of research online, I suddenly thought of something. I turned on my external monitor and there was Finder.

Under Catalina, whenever I turned my monitor off, all of my windows would switch to the MacBook's screen. Not so this time. I assumed that it might be a bug and gave feedback to Apple. But I'm wondering if this is the new normal.

There seems to be a lot of bugs in this release as Google will reveal. One of the reasons I am still on Mojave is that it is a mature release now and there is nothing that Catalina or Big Sur offers that I will use or even need. If you are using the machine as a working device that needs to be dependable then if you upgrade to a version that has just been released then you are risking a lot of expensive downtime, which is what I cannot afford to do.

Back