macro help with tamron 70-300

Edit My Images
No
hi again everyone, just a quicky. im trying to use my tamron 70-300mm lens to achieve some macro shots, but am finding it hard to focus properly, i know it only switches to macro once past 180mm, but my questions are 1, how close can i get to the subject with this lens ?. and secondly this may sound daft but do i need to set the camera to macro mode aswell or does the lens do this ? im using a sony A300. i know ive not got the best kit as of yet before you all say get a better camera or lens lol but its all i can afford at the moment. many thanks. lots of advice welcomed (y)

Looking at the specs for the lens minimum focus distance is 95cm - if it has a macro switch use to enable macro.

It's not a true macro lens, it's only labelled 'macro' as it has a shorter min focusing distance compared to other 300mm lenses.

A good and cheap way into macro photography is to buy a raynox dcr 250 macro lens attachment which will sit on the front of any lens with a filter thread between 52 and 67mm and will enable you to focus up close.

I got mine for under £50 at amazon.

The "macro" on the camera just sets the shutter speed and aperture up for what it thinks is best for macro photography. You can set it to this if you want, but I wouldnt bother. It wont get you any closer thats for sure.

You wont get very close at all with that lens, as its not a proper macro lens, just focuses slightly closer than others with the same range.

The "macro" on the camera just sets the shutter speed and aperture up for what it thinks is best for macro photography. You can set it to this if you want, but I wouldnt bother. It wont get you any closer thats for sure.

You wont get very close at all with that lens, as its not a proper macro lens, just focuses slightly closer than others with the same range.

It will give you 1:2 (half life size) which is whay better than most normal lens - and the switch is on the lens body and you need to enable it for 'macro mode' to allow close focus with the lens.

from the manual - The model 572D allows macro photography by operating the macro selector switch.The
maximum magnification ratio in the macro photography mode is 1:2 (f = 300 mm, 0.95m).
It is necessary that the zoom be aligned to 180-300 mm when switching the macro
selector switch from Normal to Macro. In addition, it is necessary that the focus ring be
aligned to 1.5 m to infinity to switch from Macro to Normal

I had this lens when I had a Sony, while I had great fun using it & got some great shots at the long end, I always struggled to get the "macro" thing nailed, never stopped me trying though because I have seen some pretty good close ups shot with this combo!(y)

I had this lens when I had a Sony, while I had great fun using it & got some great shots at the long end, I always struggled to get the "macro" thing nailed, never stopped me trying though because I have seen some pretty good close ups shot with this combo!(y)
Heh, funny, my experience was pretty much the opposite - when I had this lens I hated it at the long end but quite liked the macro function on it! :nuts:

Back