Macro lens for Jewelry shots

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys..

A friend has asked me to take some shots of her new found hobby which is making jewelry.

I have been practicing with the lighting and the 18-50mm 2.8 sigma lens.

I would like to get a macro lens, as i would like to get closer details of the jewelry.

I know that macro lenses are also good for portrait photos.

I was recommended a couple but would love some more feedback..

All comments are much appreciated..
These are the two that were recommended.. :

Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro and the

Canon EF 50mm f2.5 Macro

Thanks

H

Yes, I think that macro lenses make good general purpose primes.

I have the Canon 50mm F2.5 and I think I'm right in saying that it's not a true macro lens, not without the life size adaptor, although it will focus quite close. I've used mine for flower shots and portraits and I think it's a very good lens if physically a little slow to focus.

Many people prefer a longer length than 50mm for both macro and portrait but as I tend to like wider lenses 50mm on APS-C is quite sufficient for me, but many prefer something between 80-100mm.

I suppose that one thing in favour of the 50mm f2.5 is that it is a very compact lens that is unobtrusive and wont take up a lot of space in your kit bag.

Good luck choosing.

I have a Sigma 150mm macro and although i think this may be a little longer than what you require this is one i took recently. Spidey I have only purchased it recently and there are a few test shots on my flickr. To be honest I haven't switched lens for a couple of weeks I love it :)

I have a Sigma 150mm f2.8 too and I too think it's great but one downside for me is that I struggle to hold it steady and have to use a tripod more than I would with the lighter 50mm f2.5.

thanks for your reply..
Your pics are cool..
How do you do the smoke ones.. The mushroom is fab.. !!

I have a Sigma 150mm macro and although i think this may be a little longer than what you require this is one i took recently. Spidey I have only purchased it recently and there are a few test shots on my flickr. To be honest I haven't switched lens for a couple of weeks I love it :)

A little out of my price range at this moment in time..

I'm thinking around £300 mark..

The Canon 50mm isn't a true 1:1 macro, the Canon 60mm is. The Sigma 50mm is a true Macro and well worth a look, if it's for jewelry shots, the slightly shorter focal length wouldn't be a problem, well within your budget as well (y)

the sigma 105 is a cracking lens,and plenty long enough for jewelry and still life,but also long enough for bugs and insects..should you need it.the 150 would be better for insects etc[greater working distance,so less likely to scare them]but also heavier if you intend to hand hold.don't forget you will most likely need a flashgun,as the closeness of the lens to the subject will make it dark,and cast shadows.if you have a "normal" hot shoe flashgun,then you can set it up like this...

S4300008.jpg

this was taken hand held with a set up similar to the above...

DSC02560.jpg

okay,not jewellry..but you get the idea (y)

I have just been reading a review on the canon 100mm f/2.8.. it sounds great..
But quite pricey.. considering I am buying this lens of the back a friend asking me to take photos of her jewelry..
But this is also good for portrait .. So I'm wondering if its worth investing..
And I think I will probably quite enjoy taking macro shots..

Hmm.. decisions..

the sigma 105 is a cracking lens,and plenty long enough for jewelry and still life,but also long enough for bugs and insects..should you need it.the 150 would be better for insects etc[greater working distance,so less likely to scare them]but also heavier if you intend to hand hold.don't forget you will most likely need a flashgun,as the closeness of the lens to the subject will make it dark,and cast shadows.if you have a "normal" hot shoe flashgun,then you can set it up like this...

S4300008.jpg

this was taken hand held with a set up similar to the above...

DSC02560.jpg

okay,not jewellry..but you get the idea (y)

oh wow thats an awesome pic..

I thought i had just made my mind up about the canon.. then i saw your message.. Lol.. now i dont know again..

The only thing that put me of the 105 sigma lens is the AF MF .. in the way that they work.. the review made it sounds quite confusing.. and stated that he AF was not very good on this lens.

Hmmm..

How ever the canon is £100 more than the sigma..

also the tamron 90mm f2.8 macro is a good lens and its a bit shorter than the sigma but you save some cash and it doesnt sacrifice on image quality. i wouldnt bother with 50mm f2.8 macro's as its a bit wide.

I've had both the Canon 100mm and the Sigma 105mm and if you have a little more money the Canon 100mm USM f2.8 macro is a much better lens with internal focusing and excellent IQ.

hannah...the sigma can hunt a little for focus[if in auto focus]in poor ligh/contrast,but as others will tell you,it's best to manual focus with macro work.i have used this lens for portrait work,with fantastic results,although if you can strech to the canon offering,i'd be tempted to go for that[love internal foccusing lens].

Can not recommend the 100mm Canon enough. It is an excellent lens. Something is think about is flash. Macro needs light and I have to say that flash provided a FAR bigger improvement in my close work than any lens. If you don't already have a flash, I really think you need to factor that into your pricing.

Can not recommend the 100mm Canon enough. It is an excellent lens. Something is think about is flash. Macro needs light and I have to say that flash provided a FAR bigger improvement in my close work than any lens. If you don't already have a flash, I really think you need to factor that into your pricing.

thanks for the tips..
I have the Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash
I just need to get hold of the lead that goes from the camera to the flash.. and I'll be sorted on that..
Also was thinking of picking up a EZcube® light tent of amazon for about £40..

So its looking like the canon 100mm lens is the one to go for then..

I've had both the Canon 100mm and the Sigma 105mm and if you have a little more money the Canon 100mm USM f2.8 macro is a much better lens with internal focusing and excellent IQ.

think you may have helped my decision making.. thank you very much.. !! x

thanks for the tips..
I have the Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash
I just need to get hold of the lead that goes from the camera to the flash.. and I'll be sorted on that..
Also was thinking of picking up a EZcube® light tent of amazon for about £40..

So its looking like the canon 100mm lens is the one to go for then..

Have a look at this light tent / mini studio - there very effective and a bargin at £11

hannah...the sigma can hunt a little for focus[if in auto focus]in poor ligh/contrast,but as others will tell you,it's best to manual focus with macro work.i have used this lens for portrait work,with fantastic results,although if you can strech to the canon offering,i'd be tempted to go for that[love internal foccusing lens].

I know you need to use manual focus for the macro work..

But was thinking of portrait etc..

I think I will go for the canon thou.. it sounds like a good lens.. from what i can gather..
Plus I have a £100 jessops voucher.. which I've wanted to use but always find there expensive.. but looks like amazon and jessops dont vary much in price this time.. So think i may have come to decision..

Thanks for your help. x

oh cool..
thanks.. thats better.
I've got some decorators lamps and my flash gun..
Don't suppose you know about any other cheap portable lighting..?

I've got 3 jessops 360afd flash units (£30-£40 from fleabay) and a 550ex, i use a radio trigger to fire the 550EX (you can get these from Flash on TP) and this fires the jessops flash using their built in optical triggers. works well indoors but i would thinks its not very reliable out doors. As i use the jessops flash's in manual you dont need one specific to your body.

Canon 100 2.8 macro is superb, no question.

But I am also very fond of its smaller brother, the EF-S 60 2.8. It's a little gem, extremely sharp and equally good for portraits (depending on your preference) and it is a lot smaller and lighter than the 100 because it's specifically made for your crop format camera. Quite a bit cheaper too :)

Personally, I think that if you're keen on high-magnification macro, like right down to 1:1, then longer lenses are better simply because they give you that bit more working distance between the lens and the subject. This obviously favours the 100 but get to have a look at the 60mm if you possibly can.

Another vote for flash with macro. Frankly, it's very hard without. Marumi make a good ringflash for about £100, or you can attach a RayFlash ringflash adapter to your Canon 580EXII - this is what I use. It is also great for fashion/portraits too (y) It's here, but you can also get a cheaper copy on Ebay called a Coco RingFlash Adapter http://www.ray-flash.com/products.php

Canon 100 2.8 macro is superb, no question.

But I am also very fond of its smaller brother, the EF-S 60 2.8. It's a little gem, extremely sharp and equally good for portraits (depending on your preference) and it is a lot smaller and lighter than the 100 because it's specifically made for your crop format camera. Quite a bit cheaper too :)

Personally, I think that if you're keen on high-magnification macro, like right down to 1:1, then longer lenses are better simply because they give you that bit more working distance between the lens and the subject. This obviously favours the 100 but get to have a look at the 60mm if you possibly can.

Another vote for flash with macro. Frankly, it's very hard without. Marumi make a good ringflash for about £100, or you can attach a RayFlash ringflash adapter to your Canon 580EXII - this is what I use. It is also great for fashion/portraits too (y) It's here, but you can also get a cheaper copy on Ebay called a Coco RingFlash Adapter http://www.ray-flash.com/products.php

Oh no.. just when i thought i had it sussed.
Had a look at the 60mm.. which from the reviews states its a very good lens and jst as sharp as the 100mm.
I have a 18-50mm lens and I am wanting to build on equip. I have also been asked to take some shots of jewelry.
So not really sure which lens to go for.
I would like to use the lens for portrait to. And for experimenting on macro shots..

So 60mm or is it worth the extra for the 100mm..

Also can you explain how the coco ring flash helps with macro work.. ?

Thanks

Hannah

The big decision you will need to make for your macro work is whether you are looking to branch out into the strange world of insect macro.

That for example will be much more productive with the 100mm as you don't have to get so close to them. I am sure that with the 60mm and insects, butterflies etc you would have to spend as much time working on your stealth skills as your photography ones!!

If you are thinking of only sticking to jewelry and say flowers, then the 60mm will be more than adequate.

I guess if you can afford it then the 100mm is probably more future proof as your photography develops.

The big decision you will need to make for your macro work is whether you are looking to branch out into the strange world of insect macro.

That for example will be much more productive with the 100mm as you don't have to get so close to them. I am sure that with the 60mm and insects, butterflies etc you would have to spend as much time working on your stealth skills as your photography ones!!

If you are thinking of only sticking to jewelry and say flowers, then the 60mm will be more than adequate.

I guess if you can afford it then the 100mm is probably more future proof as your photography develops.

thats the kind of answer I was looking for...

So 100mm for insects and 60mm will be adequate for most other things..
But on the safe side the 100mm will give me more scope for the future.. Hmmm..
ok..
thanks..

Oh no.. just when i thought i had it sussed.
Had a look at the 60mm.. which from the reviews states its a very good lens and jst as sharp as the 100mm.
I have a 18-50mm lens and I am wanting to build on equip. I have also been asked to take some shots of jewelry.
So not really sure which lens to go for.
I would like to use the lens for portrait to. And for experimenting on macro shots..

So 60mm or is it worth the extra for the 100mm..

Also can you explain how the coco ring flash helps with macro work.. ?

Thanks

Hannah

Thanks for your PM Hannah, I'll reply here.

You can make a case for any of these lenses. For serious macro, either the 100 or 60 would be my choice, probably the 100. Except that it's a lot heavier (really needs a tripod collar - you can get one, but a genuine Canon one is about £100 :eek: ) and it's really a bit too long for most portraits. 60 is perfect for portraits on your camera, then your 18-50 2.8 is pretty good for that also.

Heck, you could even do a pretty good job of both portraits and macro with a supplementary close up lens for £20, or a Raynox DCR-250 for £40 - those are kinds of decision only you can make. Depends what you're doing and how critical you are.

Here's another one for you, which in your position is what I'd do, putting the emphasis on portraits and creative use of shallow depth of field - Canon 85 1.8 plus a set of Kenko extension tubes for an extra £120. Low risk, both very popular items in the For Sale section. Or, how about this cute little jobbie - new Tamron 60mm f/2 macro, £440 http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-tamron-sp-af-60mm-f2-di-ii-ld-if-macro-lens-canon-fit/p1032704 I've never even seen one but I like the spec and I'd be amazed if it's anything short of excellent. F/2 is fab for portraits. I'll stop confusion things now, but I'm liking the 85 + tubes option :)

Either way, a ringflash is a very good idea for macro. The problem with macro is that you obviously need to be close, which makes getting decent light on the subject physically quite difficult, and depth of field is so shallow with macro that you need high f/numbers. That puts you straight into longer shutter speeds, too long to hand-hold generally, so rather than use a tripod and all the hassle that entails, ringlash is a very popular solution - solves both problems.

I like my RingFlash Adapter thing. I use it more for macro than anything else. If you've got a decent gun, and everybody should have one, it's so easy. Plus, because you're using a normal flash gun which is vastly more powerful than any ringflash, you can use it for portraits and get that distinctive fashion look.

For the price of that Coco jobbie, it's got to be worth a punt for what you want to do. If you want to get creative with macro lighting on the jewelry, use kitchen foil around the ring to moderate the power and direction of the light. Blob of BluTack is fine. The foil will reflect light back into the ring so it's not wasted. For a neater job, it's really easy to cut a couple of pieces of card, back them with foil, and attach them with spots of velcro in any position you like.

HTH

I have the Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro. The reviews say that you can't get any sharper and one review says it is faultless.

All I can say is that it is a cracking lens for both Macro and Portraits and 70mm suits my crop camera better than the 100mm. It's definately worth considering.

You can make a case for any of these lenses. For serious macro, either the 100 or 60 would be my choice, probably the 100. Except that it's a lot heavier (really needs a tripod collar - you can get one, but a genuine Canon one is about £100 :eek: ) and it's really a bit too long for most portraits. 60 is perfect for portraits on your camera, then your 18-50 2.8 is pretty good for that also.

Heck, you could even do a pretty good job of both portraits and macro with a supplementary close up lens for £20, or a Raynox DCR-250 for £40 - those are kinds of decision only you can make. Depends what you're doing and how critical you are.

Here's another one for you, which in your position is what I'd do, putting the emphasis on portraits and creative use of shallow depth of field - Canon 85 1.8 plus a set of Kenko extension tubes for an extra £120. Low risk, both very popular items in the For Sale section. Or, how about this cute little jobbie - new Tamron 60mm f/2 macro, £440 http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-tamron-sp-af-60mm-f2-di-ii-ld-if-macro-lens-canon-fit/p1032704 I've never even seen one but I like the spec and I'd be amazed if it's anything short of excellent. F/2 is fab for portraits. I'll stop confusion things now, but I'm liking the 85 + tubes option :)

Either way, a ringflash is a very good idea for macro. The problem with macro is that you obviously need to be close, which makes getting decent light on the subject physically quite difficult, and depth of field is so shallow with macro that you need high f/numbers. That puts you straight into longer shutter speeds, too long to hand-hold generally, so rather than use a tripod and all the hassle that entails, ringlash is a very popular solution - solves both problems.

I like my RingFlash Adapter thing. I use it more for macro than anything else. If you've got a decent gun, and everybody should have one, it's so easy. Plus, because you're using a normal flash gun which is vastly more powerful than any ringflash, you can use it for portraits and get that distinctive fashion look.

For the price of that Coco jobbie, it's got to be worth a punt for what you want to do. If you want to get creative with macro lighting on the jewelry, use kitchen foil around the ring to moderate the power and direction of the light. Blob of BluTack is fine. The foil will reflect light back into the ring so it's not wasted. For a neater job, it's really easy to cut a couple of pieces of card, back them with foil, and attach them with spots of velcro in any position you like.

HTH

Wow nice long reply..

So thats it now.. I'm more than confused.. lol..

I have no idea what to do..
So i think i need to sleep on it..
And do some research on the options you've given me..

Thanks for your reply..

I'll prob be asking questions later... !! ;)

I use a canon 100mm 2.8 on a 40D for jewellery, and think its a great lens. I can't recommend it enough.
You will however need a tripod, as you will probably be using high aperture (12+) if you want it all in focus.

What sort of jewellery are you taking photos of?
My 40D makes the lens 160mm. Small items like rings are fine, but larger items like neclaces are not as good as I need to be quite far away.....so a limited space may cause a problem.

HTH

The ring flash sounds like a good investment..
I've seen one on amazon for about £40/£50. Not sure if that means its going to be a naff one.. lol..

Dont really like idea of the Canon 85 1.8 plus a set of Kenko extension tubes.. Althou you said thats what you would do.. also what did you mean by low risk..?

The 60mm Tamaron sounds like a great lens, haven't really seen many reviews on this lens..
But from the little info I have seen looks good.

Just had another friend ask me to take pics of his paintings..

Could this help in my decision making or are none of these lens suitable for this type of photography..

Not taken pics of painting before.. not sure what the results will be like on my sigma.. I know its a tricky subject.. !

I use a canon 100mm 2.8 on a 40D for jewellery, and think its a great lens. I can't recommend it enough.
You will however need a tripod, as you will probably be using high aperture (12+) if you want it all in focus.

What sort of jewellery are you taking photos of?
My 40D makes the lens 160mm. Small items like rings are fine, but larger items like neclaces are not as good as I need to be quite far away.....so a limited space may cause a problem.

I think necklaces (possibly just the pendants), bracelets and earrings ..

I like the sound of the 100mm but 60mm sounds more useful, as i can use it for portrait to..

I have the canon 450D ... So not sure how that effects the lens..

I was debating on the canon 60mm lens.. or maybe the tamaron 60mm..

The jewlery could be a one of.. who knows..

What other types of photography can you use the 100mm for.. ?

Your comment about paintings really nails it I think Hannah - you want a shorter macro lens, and the Canon 60 is undoubedly the best of those. Not that there are not other good ones - I don't actually know of any bad macros - but it will do everything you want. 100mm macro is okay for portraits on your crop-format camera, but a little long. No other obvious particular use, other than as a general short telephoto. You could perhaps say the same about the 60 but it is considerable shorter which I think makes it more versatile, and it will be a good lens for the paintings.

Paintings are basically flat copying, which is very demanding optically. You need zero distortion which wipes out a lot of lenses, zero vignetting (ditto), a flat field which most normal lenses are not that great at, plus you need excellent edge sharpness - again all lenses are weakest there and I wouldn't trust that Tamron to be really sharp in the corners at f/2 - it may be, but I don't know that and the very low f/number makes it harder. Canon 60 is proven top class - shoot at f/5.6-8 for optimum results. Don't try the ringflash for paintsing! You need two identical power flash guns either side at 45 degrees.

What I meant by low risk is that you could easily sell a lens like the 85 1.8 and those Kenko tubes very easily, but TBH with good gear such as you're looking at, the same applies to all of it really.

NB Could your friend get the paintings scanned? If that's possible it is by far the best way to get a first class copy. Not expensive either at local printer/repo facility.

My wife also makes jewellery and photographing it is not as easy as you may think due to reflections, getting the right amount of light but not too much etc etc.

This is a recent piece she made taken with my AFS 105mm f2.8 using a light tent from ebay (cost about £25) and studio lights.

jewel_107.jpg

This was just sat on a desk and taken with the AFS 105 again

jewel_106.jpg

This example could have done with more light on the gem.

hillsgems_20090325_126.jpg

And this one just sat on a leaf off a Fatsia japonica from the garden

hillsgems_20090325_117.jpg

And this is another recent one it says "Angel" in Arabic. This graduated background is how a lot of Jewellers are wanting their items to be seen now. On this example it was photoshopped in :) It is possible with the right lighting to give this effect with lights.

arabic.jpg

This should give you an idea of what you can get with a 105mm macro lens. Lighting is just as important though. If you do not have any lights then outside when it is sunny can be good too.

I have just been reading a review on the canon 100mm f/2.8.. it sounds great..
But quite pricey.. considering I am buying this lens of the back a friend asking me to take photos of her jewelry..
But this is also good for portrait .. So I'm wondering if its worth investing..
And I think I will probably quite enjoy taking macro shots..

Hmm.. decisions..

Go for the Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM macro :)

For jewellery it's a good focal length, I found that with shorter focal lengths (e.g. 50mm) if I was photographing a shiny item then the reflection of the camera and lens could be problematic.

Back