Macro Options

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks - looking for a bit of advise if possible!

I have a commercial job next month photographing bank notes and other printed products that incorporate various security and anti-counterfieting measures. Some of the individual features are very small (2mm across) and the client wants close-ups of these features.

I've never dabbled in macro photography before, but I seem to remember that there are three options - a proper macro lens, a reversing ring and screw-on macro filter.

Bearing in mind I'll only be using this kit for this one day, which would be most suitable for the job? I'd hire a lens rather than buy one if that were the best option...

Also, would a cheap ringflash be useful?

Lenses I currently have are; Sigma 18-200, Sigma 18-50 2.8 macro, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Nikon 50 1.8.

Wrong section - hopefully a Mod will move this in to Talk Equipment...

Not sure what the main options are with the Nikon kit but you need to be very good at Macro photography to capture something that is 2mm across and get good reproduction.

You'll find one of the biggest issues will be lighting of the item you're photographing as well as Depth of Field.

Maybe search Image Stacking and how shifting the focus point can help create an overall sharp image from lots of merged images.

Dave

Wow, I'm in completely the wrong section - Mods, please accept my apologies and move this!

for stuff that size, it's either gonna be a combination of ext. tubes or bellows, telelconverters and supplementary lenses on a macro lens. But you're not going to be able to hire stuff like bellows very easily.

Might not be a helpful suggestion, but you could hire a canon body and MPE-65. That'll get you to 5:1 mag without having to add anything extra on.

Just use a good scanner at hi res.

Not too difficult - this is a quick and dirty print from a 450D with the kit lens (EFS 18-55mm) fitted with a 20mm Kenko extension tube.

Taken at 55mm 1/20sec@f22.

On the £5.00 note the Queen's eye is about 1 1/2mm from top to bottom.

Using a longer extension it would be possible to get it even larger.

Last edited:
Back