Macro photography with an RB67?

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys and girls!

Right. So, instead of buying a macro lens for the D700, I'd like to get a lens that can do as near to 1:1 as possible.

Currently I have a 65mm Sekor C and at full bellows extension it can get pretty close, however the wideness of the lens doesn't really work for close up work imho. I tried some close up work with the 90mm Sekor C when I had it, but again, it was quite wide.

So, I have been considering the 180mm Sekor C lens. Does anyone know if this lens (at full extension) will focus close enough to get nearish 1:1 reproduction?

I don't really want to get a dedicated macro for this body as they are more expensive than me simply getting a macro lens for the D700.

Any help muchos appreciated!

When I had a RB67 I used to use a 140mm macro lens and was well pleased with the results, sometimes with ext tubes as well.
Ffordes have a couple of used ones at £199 but don't know how that compares with Nikon ones. Must admit never used a 180mm lens, jumped straight from 140mm to 250mm.
C

... err. What body?

RB67, Says in the title :)

Thanks for the info Ceejay. My problem really distills down to this... The 180mm is the longest lens I can afford really, and so I need to know whether it can focus close enough to reproduce at 1:1.

If I had the money though, I'd take your advice and go for the 140mm Ceejay. Will see what others come back with. If not, I'll save for the 140mm macro.

Well I got my beast out with 180 lens and at minimum focus with bellows fully extended......the object fills about half the frame in the viewer. But the 180 is a great portrait lens.

Gotcha. Ok, so essentially it's not going to be the best lens for close up work? I'm not really one for portraits, so I guess I'll have to save for the 140mm Macro.

Gotcha. Ok, so essentially it's not going to be the best lens for close up work? I'm not really one for portraits, so I guess I'll have to save for the 140mm Macro.

Well I haven't used mine for macro but don't you use extension tubes with the lenses...in my instruction manual it says:- life size close-ups can be obtained with tube no1 with 90mm and tube no2 for 127mm

Oops, sorry. Got thrown by the D word :D

Well I haven't used mine for macro but don't you use extension tubes with the lenses...in my instruction manual it says:- life size close-ups can be obtained with tube no1 with 90mm and tube no2 for 127mm

Ahh right, ok. I don't use tubes, no. And looking at the price of them, I might as well buy a dedicated macro. Anyone care to gimme £200?! :D:thinking::LOL::nuts:

Ahh right, ok. I don't use tubes, no. And looking at the price of them, I might as well buy a dedicated macro. Anyone care to gimme £200?! :D:thinking::LOL::nuts:

Well what about a manual focus lens for your D700...one of the cheaper ones is a Vivitar 55mm macro.....I got mine for under £10 last year because no one wanted a Minolta MD mount .

A few RB67 extension tubes HERE

Back