Macro season has kicked in for me at last - a mixed bag

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Mixed bag - nice and sunny today but quite windy, took about 500 images to get 25, 8 of which shared here. These are probably over-sharpened but since they're 800pixels on the longest side, while the originals are some 5000+ pixels, I thought some extra sharpening would be needed though looking at them now, they might be a little ott on that part. Other than camera-raw processing and stacking where indicated, no other processing applied.

Shot on a lowly Canon 600d, with a Sigma 105mm macro, neweer manual flash plus pringles tube and some soft box material (where indicated), handheld. Most shots are between F14 and F16, it was nice and bright so thankfully could close it down.

1.. 14 image stack as this thing was blowing all over the place and no single shot showed its beauty, a stack of a wobbling flower seemed to do the trick lol. No raynox or flash used on this
Untitled21 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

2.. Tipetoe through the tulips...
_MG_0113 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

3.. 2 shot stack, I think its a hover, originally thought it might be a wasp, but Im not completely sure, I am sure however, that someone can point out its species
Untitled19 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

4.. 4 shot stack
Untitled14 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

5.. 5 shot stack
Untitled16 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

6.. 4 shot stack
Untitled10 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

7.. Wasp I believe
_MG_0251 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

8.. Single shot, Shield bug.
_MG_0034 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

Thanks for dropping by (y)

7.. Wasp I believe

This one is the closest to a perfect rendition of all
that I think are still too bright (except #1). (y)

Nice work Carl You have two bees mate the first is a nomad bee that is a paraiste probably on the other bee which is another solitary bee

This one is the closest to a perfect rendition of all
that I think are still too bright (except #1). (y)

Yeah Carl have you checked you monitors calibration lately.

No 3 is the best, check the photos on a phone/tablet and as Alf said you will probably see they are too bright.

Welcome back, and nice set of images the nomad bee is a stunner won't mention the brightness again. (y)

You can focus stack flower heads wobbling in the wind! I'm impressed! Once I acquire the necessary round tuits I'll have to try that.

Great set Carl, not sure what 3 is (bee or wasp) I found one on saturday but didn't have the right gear with me to shoot it, would of been ideal as it was jaw clamped on a stem of a flower sleeping!

Nice start too.:clap::clap::clap: #7 is a cracker...........Good critique from Daniel Alf and David(y)........but great shots:)

You can focus stack flower heads wobbling in the wind! I'm impressed! Once I acquire the necessary round tuits I'll have to try that.
Took about 20 shots though :/ I try, if I can to hold the stem when taking the photo to minimise movement, but it can be hard with a flash gun attached and the pringles tube on there, gets a bit heavy lol

Thanks everyone (y) monitor is calibrated,ref the brightness, I should have paid a bit more attention to that. In some stacked scenes, when I have had to get in close and the flash gun fires (even though its on like 64 power) it lights up the area more than when there has been a bit of shade from overhanging branches/flowers etc.. Thanks though :)

Great set of critters but the sharpening looks on the strong side also on my monitor.

Nice finds on the bugs and flowers.

Do think as you mentioned a bit oversharpened in some. Alf is right that third is a nomanda bee - they have great eyes. It looks like it is sleeping as they normally do that when gripping the leaf with their jaws.

Other is a solitary bee - probably mining bee.

Good start to the year Carl.

Have you done any flash vs natural light comparisons for flowers? I think the flash may be adding to the harsh look. FWIW I hardly ever use flash for flowers, even when it is breezy, which it is quite often here. I do move up from base ISO quite often and/or use fairly slow (for hand-held and/or breeze) shutter speeds. The more difficult the conditions, the more shots I try. Many fail, but I prefer the natural light look. It's a matter of personal taste of course.

Nice finds on the bugs and flowers.

Do think as you mentioned a bit oversharpened in some. Alf is right that third is a nomanda bee - they have great eyes. It looks like it is sleeping as they normally do that when gripping the leaf with their jaws.

Other is a solitary bee - probably mining bee.
Chris
It is possible that the nomad bee is watching for it's hosts to leave home for an opportunity last an egg.

Carl
Were there bee sized holes in the ground disturbed soil around them if so this is the mining bees nest sight.

See here for the kind of thing
https://flic.kr/p/H1Vezg

Last edited:
Back