Macro Sunday - An Amazing Find!

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
I was round my mums today and took my daughter for a bug hunt!

My daughter has great eyesight and she was finding all the bugs (Green Orb Spider, Ladybird, woodlice etc), but she then shouts over "dad I've found a stick insect"!!! I thought she was joking, but she most certainly wasn't! The stick insect was about 2-3 inches long and bright green, it was so green it almost didn't look real. I took a few shots where it was perched but it was difficult to get the camera through the branches so I decided to move it onto a stick so i could get some better shots.

I have since found out that these Stick Insects live in the South West. (thanks for the info Bryn)

There are no native stick insects in the UK, however, three species have become successfully established in Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly Three New Zealand species of stick-insects, or phasmids (from the Greek ‘phasma’ meaning phantom or apparition), have become naturalised in the UK over the last 100 years, and almost all are in south west England. This means that they live and reproduce here in the UK in the wild. - See more at: www.buglife.org.uk/bugs-and-habitats/stick-insects#sthash.ShRGm99q.dpuf

I have reported the sighting to the Phasmid Study Group and sent them a few images.

Most of the below shots were taken with the following set up, I just removed the Rayonx for the full Stick Insect shot. PLEASE VIEW THE HIGHER RES SHOTS IN MY FLICKR!

D7000
Tamron 90mm
Raynox 250
Kenko 36mm extension tube

[URL='https://flic.kr/p/rxtxuv']

Almost forgot... at the beginning of the day i was trying to get my diffusion right by adding a curved layer frosted kitchen cutting board to the softbox. I took a few pics while testing but kind of like this one of my cats eye.

[/url]

Last edited:
Awesome set Neil... you are one lucky bugga to find such a unique and Imagine rare find of a UK stick insect.

The lighting is superb with the pinnacle being the ladybird that is lit to perfection. Can I ask is this your 2 layer softbox with additional diffusion added?

In fact that is one of the best Ladybird shots I have ever seen. If not the best :D

Awesome set Neil... you are one lucky bugga to find such a unique and Imagine rare find of a UK stick insect.

The lighting is superb with the pinnacle being the ladybird that is lit to perfection. Can I ask is this your 2 layer softbox with additional diffusion added?

In fact that is one of the best Ladybird shots I have ever seen. If not the best :D

Yes Bryn, I have bent the front of the soft box and it attaches to the lens by velcro for stability. I then purchased some cheap cutting board from eBay and attached to the front of the softbox again by velcro. I will try and post a pic of it tonight.

A really great and varied set of images Neil, with some very nice detail, good colour, and lighting.(y)

George.

Yes Bryn, I have bent the front of the soft box and it attaches to the lens by velcro for stability. I then purchased some cheap cutting board from eBay and attached to the front of the softbox again by velcro. I will try and post a pic of it tonight.

Sounds interesting... I think you have just given me a great idea for one of these softboxes which will allow it to be Front mounted and surround the lens. Kinda like this solution.

http://flash-adapter.com/5.html

Sounds interesting... I think you have just given me a great idea for one of these softboxes which will allow it to be Front mounted and surround the lens. Kinda like this solution.

I think you would have to cut the bottom wire off the box as it won't bend all the way around the lens, well worth trying, look forward to seeing your results.

I think you would have to cut the bottom wire off the box as it won't bend all the way around the lens, well worth trying, look forward to seeing your results.

Yeah... was think of replacing the wire with coat hanger wire easier to bend :D tbh won't be bad for a £10 :D

Also doesn't need to be too tightly close to the lens as the above adapter that was just to show what I meant. Now just to find the time to do all of this! Your setup has worked wonders so look forward to seeing what you have done :D

Very nice set, that stick insect is a great find indeed. The ladybird shot I really like too.
Thanks Michael

This is the diffuser I like the look of: http://kingfisherphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/my-latest-diy-macro-diffuser.html

Also just changed the Green Orb as I found a better image from last night.

Also just changed the Green Orb as I found a better image from last night.

Agree thats better :D

That diffuser looks awesome wouldn't know how to make it though he says fully collapsable so guess plastic cut into shape... would work great on Venus... could even use beer cozy (foil lined) to vary the length as well. I'll see how I get on with the big diffuser first then maybe look into something like that.

Geeez a sticky, what a fab find, that reminds me it must be time to look for them here too :) and this one you got is one I have not seen before with the spiky bits on its back.
I got to agree, the LB is fab. :D
Keep finding and posting more shots, its about to kick off everywhere :banana:

Cool, someting I never would have thought you would see on our fair isle, super photos ;)

Awesome find. And fantastic light on them and the ladybird & spider.

Really nice set of images. Made me look in my Insect of GB book about the sticks - apparently 7 non native species in total in the UK & Ireland.

Cheers Chris! Apparently my mum has found different looking ones to this before in her garden, so I will be keeping a look out for more!

Geeez a sticky, what a fab find, that reminds me it must be time to look for them here too :) and this one you got is one I have not seen before with the spiky bits on its back.
I got to agree, the LB is fab. :D
Keep finding and posting more shots, its about to kick off everywhere :banana:

Cheers Graham

Wow that really is an amazing find! Great work Neil, all really nice captures.

Great shots again Neil .
Wow that really is an amazing find! Great work Neil, all really nice captures.
Oh wow!!! What a find mate!!!!

Thanks Guys :)

I've since had a response from the Phasmid Study Group saying that the area near my mums house is a hotspot for sightings! There have also been sightings close to my house:

" Your mother lives in another hot spot for the Prickly Stick-insect, as I have records from Southdown Hill, Southdown Avenue, Gramercy Fields, and Nut Tree Orchard, all from 2009 and 2010.

Apart from you and Anya checking out grannie’s garden in early May, have a good look round your own garden as they are almost certainly lurking nearby. A torchlight search on still mild evening around dusk is the best time to see the newly emerged baby stick-insects.

The two records I had from Ferrers Green were both in 2007. The first was from Ted Scaife at number 6, who said he had seen them for several years, and the second was from Mark Goatman, but he did not say what number.

Let me know if Anya finds any in your garden.

They are present in gardens throughout nearby Galmpton, and in more public spots, my friend Brian Laney found adults in several of the brambles on the western edge of Warborough Common alongside the A379. Adults are not usually around until July and August. "

Agree with Bryn the ladybird is superb the lighting really shows the detail:)
Amazing about the stick insects I didn't realise that they had naturalised in the UK

Back