Macro - what should I get?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

From my signature can you tell me what I'm missing to really get going in macro?
My main areas of focus intend to be bugs, mostly in the garden etc, but would consider some sort of temporary enclosure to take photos before releasing again but have no idea where to start on that.

I'll try and get an image up later of my bits and bobs, but on the whole its listed apart from a reversing ring.

I'm thinking I need a bracket of some sort, but not sure what else (I've some coke cans put aside for Lord V's diffuser though) - looked at these - C Shape Bracket & 4 way macro rail (Chaz reviewed what looks like the same item from LinkDelight and gave good marks) - any good?

Anyway any buying advice would be appreciated (especially cheap UK stuff - I've spent too much recently and while my wife is a saint, I suspect there are limits somewhere!)

Cheers,

John

Last edited:
Looking at your kit John, you've got everything you need, although maybe not what you want - You could always get the MT24 macro flash!! But how do you feel your pics are lacking? You have got more than many who get some great macro pics. Don't spend any more money and work on technique if that's what you feel is letting you down.

Have a look here to see some DIY brackets etc.

Last edited:
Sigma 105mm macro, great lens, thats what im getting (y)

His kit list would suggest that he already has the Canon 100mm which is at the very least on par with this, so that would just be a waste.

A C-bracket is probably a worthwhile purchase. As far as diffusion goes, I use a Lumiquest Mini-softbox, which I'd certainly recommend - cost me around £20 IIRC.

If you're on a limited budget, I very much doubt the MT-24ex will be doable at the moment - it's not exactly cheap :LOL:

Edit: are the Jessops tubes fully automatic - if they're not, it may be worth investing in a set which are (e.g. Kenko) - that'll make your life a hell of a lot easier

Last edited:
Thanks for a quick feedback all.

In order.

MT24EX - Great idea, once I've paid for the divorce - lol - I think I'll skip that one and try to do something with my current flash.
DIY bracket - I'd have to find a build guide, I'm rubbish at metalwork, plus would it really be cheaper/better than the £10 jobs from ebay?
Sigma 105 - I almost got one of those, but yeah I do the the EF 100mm macro which I think should be up to the job.
Lumiquest Mini-softbox - Looks pretty good, doesn't it scare the bugs though? I may try Lord V's cans 1st though.
Tubes - Yep they are auto :D

As to technique I suspect that its more down to that than my kit if I'm honest.
Are there any nice tutorial vids out there? I've tried following written guides and something doesn't quite click, sure I can set to f11 etc and get decent pics but nothing like the ones I see by others.

My current best is something like these, a night macro shot & one of a dead flower stacked, but bugs wise I'm thinking I should be bringing them in for a couple of more controlled shots then sending them back (sorry I just can't bring myself to freeze/kill something just for a photo)

Last edited:
John, those 2 pics look fine. Sharp and well exposed. Can you tell me what kind of shots you want? What do you think is wrong with them?

Just one thing, a mistake I made for ages with my 100/2.8. You're not using it on auto focus for macro are you? You need to set it to manual, move the focusing ring to the left, until the line lines up with 1:1 I think it says, then move backwards and forwards yourself to get focus.

Hope that bit doesn't sound patronising, wish someone had explained that to me in the early days when I saw great macro pics and mine never seemed close enough.

Last edited:
No, its not patronising at all, actually I do use AF (in Servo to make it worse!) - in part because my eyesight is not 100% (actually just looking for a guide on setting up the diopter accurately as I reply) and also I saw an interesting video by B&H that tells how the 7D is designed to work differently with true Canon macro lens in servo to help deal with wind blown subject.

The above two were AF/Servo

That said, I really should have another crack at manual, especially following your advice - I'd never heard this before, so thanks :)

You could take a photo of an elephant and claim its a macro shot of a
rare mouse with a long nose. .:LOL::LOL::LOL::bang:

Realspeed

Last edited:
I do use AF (in Servo to make it worse!) - in part because my eyesight is not 100%

I use manual focus as Sara has said above. I wear glasses and my eyes arent 100% either, so I use the gently rock back and forth to focus using the tell tale beep of the camera to tell me when the subject is in focus (yes this works even in manual focus mode)

hehe, thanks for that Bazza :clap:

I didn't know that about one shot beep still working in manual, cheers

with the Nikon D300 there is a setting in the menu that prevents the shutter working until in focus. There is something similar with the Canon AS regards the dioptic setting in the viewfinder, I think if you search the internet there are clipovers for the viewer that have a greater range. I had one on my old Nikon D70s. Depends if you want a plus or minus one so check first

Link
http://photography.shop.ebay.co.uk/...canon&_osacat=625&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Do check as I said , you can get different ones from -3 to +3 depending on your eyesight. Just make sure its one for your model of camera

Last edited:
Cheers.

Sadly the Canon's don't have that really useful function, in fact I nearly jumped ship to Nikon when I read about it as it sounds very useful for sports (or for me when my three year old is running around like a maniac) - no idea why they don;t steal the idea and put it in a firmware.

Thanks for the link too, once I figure out exactly which I need I'll no doubt pick one up.

I am not sure that there are dioptrc adjustment lenses for the 7d. Tried to get one a year ago, didn't exist then, the shape of the viewfinder is different to the xxd and xxxd. My accessories sheet for the 7d didn't list that they existed.

I used to use one on the 400d, and if nothing else, it stopped the nose getting so squashed!

Edit: searching around google, it appears that the eyecups for the 1D can be used instead

Last edited:
I would recommend getting a macro rail (positioning plate), retail around £70. A must have in my opinion for minute adjustments.

Kirk are the best but are more expensive, manfrotto do a descent one.

Cheers guys.

I have a couple of items on order to fill out my needs.

A 4-way Macro Rail :D
Left hand bracket + ball head for flash
I'm making a coke can diffuser, so that should help too

So I think that should take care of focus/stacking and lighting, hopefully all I now need is skill!

Last edited:
How rude am I - I just reread some of the answers and I've been asked what sort of images do I want.. I neglected to answer!

I guess it would be some of the really close stuff - a wasps head where you can see the jaws or a fly where the eyes can be seen clearly.

So around that level, but I think if I attach either the DCR-250 to my 100mm + tubs (or a reversed 50mm + tubes) I may be able to get that, but focusing was this issue.

I'm thinking between the rail for control, good lighting, stacking + practice I may get what I want, but please tell me if I'm off the mark still.

I guess it would be some of the really close stuff - a wasps head where you can see the jaws

And you are going to do that without harming the wasp, whilst you take it inside.
Just remember to inform the wasp of that, and get it in writing first that it will not harm you. :D

also I saw an interesting video by B&H that tells how the 7D is designed to work differently with true Canon macro lens in servo to help deal with wind blown subject.
You are right there John, with the 7D when you are shooting at macro distances in AI Servo the Servo automatically doubles the sampling rate - apparently this only works with Canon macro lenses as you say. I have found this a very useful feature and find the 7D to be a lot better than my 40D when shooting macro in servo mode.

And you are going to do that without harming the wasp, whilst you take it inside.
Just remember to inform the wasp of that, and get it in writing first that it will not harm you. :D

lol, you're so right - if I took a wasp it it would just seek out my better half and just start stinging!
I think a pre dead one might be best!

Cheers guys.

I have a couple of items on order to fill out my needs.

A 4-way Macro Rail :D
Left hand bracket + ball head for flash
I'm making a coke can diffuser, so that should help too

So I think that should take care of focus/stacking and lighting, hopefully all I now need is skill!

As you are on a budget (as a lot of us are), why not go for a cheap chinese macro rail - off fleabay for less than £15 (2 rail type)?

Texy

Funnily enough I have one one route, just waiting for it to slowly sail its way over here

Back