Do you have a magazine subscription?

• Yes

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
Edit My Images
Yes
I was browsing another website and there was an advert for a performance car-related magazine. I'd have thought in this day and age, with information at our thumb- and finger-tips, that magazine subscriptions would have been on the wane. Or at least digitalised. Lots of information to be found on websites, blogs, youtube, social media etc.

I had a Which? magazine subscription for product reviews about domestic appliances, but very rarely read the whole magazine. I'd have much preferred an electronic version that I could read on my phone or tablet. It was cancelled after a couple of years' use.

Do you still have an active magazine subscription that gets posted out?
If so, why?

I have an Autosport subscription that I have had for about 8yrs. Like my music and movie collection, I prefer a hard copy over a digital download.

My missus gets Which, which she just skims through. I used to get a couple of Carp Fishing magazines which have now stopped, but i've got a Photography mag subscription starting soon. Didn't need it but was running out of suggestions fr a Christmas pressie.

No doubt, they will take pride of place in the loo as do all the others until read ;)

If I want to know about something, I'll look online, ask people or get a book. If I want a regular photography read, I have my AP sub and I buy occasional other magazines. When I was regularly flying, I bought Pilot and Flyer magazines to read. In other words, if you want reading material with regular new input (ok it gets repetitive sometimes) you get a mag (paper or digital). If you want knowledge, you go to other sources usually.

No subscriptions but I do buy a couple of mags fairly regularly. Much prefer a paper version to web based.

Actually just signed up for a Men's health physical sub.

I've never subscribed to a magazine, just bought the odd one if there was a particular article I wanted to read. My wife used to get Which. I never knew why, because she hardly ever read it, and she cancelled a couple of years ago.

I used to subscribe to magazines. Not any more and don't buy newspapers. They have had their day and are on the way out.

I still buy magazines, namely Rail, ComputerActive, Viz comic and even The Beano. I prefer to keep my reading habits separate from the internet, and less chance of eye strain. I use the internet for communications, advice and even inspiration, such as this fine web site.

I sometimes miss buying magazines - there's so much readily available free info/video tutorials/news etc online now they are a bit more redundant. But reading from a screen is just not as cosy as lounging with a glossy magazine. I used to buy 2-3 photography mags pm, I loved them [though they are very expensive over here, anything from €7 to €11!] - didn't specifically sub to any one, just whichever had the best articles or tutorials any given week - I used to be a lot less lazy and would follow all the tutorials and do all the suggested projects and enter the photo competitions, of course everything was new to me then so I was learning every time. I still am, but though I did love the mags, it's just to easy [and free!] now to just go 'meh, I'll look it up on youtube' instead.

Black & White photography magazine and the RPS Journal.

I do like reading the articles on new books, and photographers and their work. Both magazines offer a digest of "what's on" in the way of exhibitions etc.

However this did make me chuckle...
"How to photograph autumn colours"
Makes me want to remove my own face too.

Many magazines seem to repeat their content. In an internet age, it's a surprise considering the wealth of information out there about pretty much anything.

Many magazines seem to repeat their content.
Totally agree - over the years I've had BBC Wildlife and a few photography ones. I found that after about 18 months things felt very familiar and comparable to some of the old magazines. I'd probably go back to some of the magazines after 3 or 4 years off.

£8 a month sounds a lot if you're only after 1 or 2 magazines, butif you've got a few different ones you're interested in that are available then that is an absolute bargain.

I have thought about getting that several times but what I know will happen is that I won't read it. Over the years I have subscribed to a lot of different mags and I still get a couple, when they land on the door mat I read them over the next few days but with somehting like Readly I would just forget.

BTW the ones I currently get aren't on Readly anyway.

Totally agree - over the years I've had BBC Wildlife and a few photography ones. I found that after about 18 months things felt very familiar and comparable to some of the old magazines. I'd probably go back to some of the magazines after 3 or 4 years off.

£8 a month sounds a lot if you're only after 1 or 2 magazines, butif you've got a few different ones you're interested in that are available then that is an absolute bargain.
I tend to read magazines that I wouldn’t normally buy.

Another one that is free with lots of interesting stuff is issuu - Read Magazines by Issuu
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/issuu-read-magazines/id914453825?mt=8

Back