Magic lantern Firmware for Canon dslr's.

Name
Grahame
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just researched and started using this amazing firmware update for my 550d, Im not going to list all the areas and problems it addresses with video shooting using a dslr but have a look for yourself here,

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

Be aware, it is not a canon approved fireware update and there is a risk in booting it from your sd card but I feel that tiny risk is well worth it given the locked doors this firmware kicks open.

I just felt if people take the time to design open source fireware for free then it is my duty to make sure as many people as possible find out about it.

Alas there is no support for the 7d but the 60d, 5d mk2 and 550d are all covered. Take a look, research and decide if you can work with it.

Been using it since it came out, very good and opens up so many great features on the camera.

The zebras, waveform and live histogram are so helpful for getting your video exposed well. There are also regular updates which is great.

I used it on my latest short film, it also provides all the iso values that you can get on the 7d.

Magic lantern is great but there was a warning not to use it on 60d after it messed up someones camera, not sure where I read it but I'll do some research

TBH you would only really see the real benefits on the 5D Mk II. The 7D and 60D have got rid of some of the audio problems and other niggles that the 5D suffered from. You can also shoot at 50p & 60p on the 7D and 60D which the 5D doesn't support. There are plenty of Picture Styles that you can add to the 7D and 60D without the need for the magic lantern firmware so its really most useful to 5D owners IMHO.

TBH you would only really see the real benefits on the 5D Mk II. The 7D and 60D have got rid of some of the audio problems and other niggles that the 5D suffered from. You can also shoot at 50p & 60p on the 7D and 60D which the 5D doesn't support. There are plenty of Picture Styles that you can add to the 7D and 60D without the need for the magic lantern firmware so its really most useful to 5D owners IMHO.

What about manual audio controls and zebra marks? I dont agree with what you are saying tbh, the magic lantern firmware is what has stopped me from selling my 550D for a 600D or 60D which has the manual audio levels option from Canon.

I am fairly sure the 7D & 60D don't have the audio limiter that the 5D had. In respect to the 550D I am not familiar with the camera hence why I didn't mention it in my original post.

I am fairly sure the 7D & 60D don't have the audio limiter that the 5D had. In respect to the 550D I am not familiar with the camera hence why I didn't mention it in my original post.

The 60D does have manual audio levels and magic lantern doesn't actually work on the 7D. Please make sure you are posting correct information.

The 60D does have manual audio levels and magic lantern doesn't actually work on the 7D. Please make sure you are posting correct information.

Please read. I didn't mention Manual Audio nor did I say the 7D was compatible with Magic Lantern firmware. I merely stated reasons why it may not be as useful as it is for 5D owners. Perhaps you think your post count gives you license to throw your weight around or perhaps you are that condescending in all your posts. Eitherway, build a bridge. Get over yourself.

TBH you would only really see the real benefits on the 5D Mk II.

This is incorrect. Magic Lantern has benefits for 550D users as well as 5D II users such as zebra and crop marks.

The 7D and 60D have got rid of some of the audio problems and other niggles that the 5D suffered from.

7D has not gotten rid of any audio problems and is not compatible with magic lantern.

Perhaps you think your post count gives you license to throw your weight around or perhaps you are that condescending in all your posts. Eitherway, build a bridge. Get over yourself.

:LOL:

I'm correcting you where required, don't take it so personally. We are all here to learn after all :)

Last edited:
The only person to mention the 550d is you, not me. My posts only ever mentioned the 60d and the 7d both of which do not have the auto gain limiter that the 5d applys to audio. At no stage did I say that magic lantern was compatible with the 7d nor did I say it wasn't worth using on the 550d, my post was simply in response to Halshaatar & rockfall. Thanks for trying to "educate" me though :)

The only person to mention the 550d is you, not me. My posts only ever mentioned the 60d and the 7d both of which do not have the auto gain limiter that the 5d applys to audio. At no stage did I say that magic lantern was compatible with the 7d nor did I say it wasn't worth using on the 550d, my post was simply in response to Halshaatar & rockfall. Thanks for trying to "educate" me though :)

Stephen, the 60D DOES have manual audio levels, hence me asking you to post correct information!

CSB is correct, the 60D has manual audio control as standard in its firmware, the 7D does not, neither is there a working magic lantern and apparently there never will be.

In my opinion the 550d is best value for money if you want to shoot video on it. With magic lantern installed, the zebras, histogram, waveform, peaking, focus zoom are crucial if you want to get consistantly exposed video out of it without clipping the whites or crushing the blacks. The lcd can't be relied on to give accurate monitoring.

Of course the 5D offers these functions aswell with magic lantern but at a much higher cost.

Anyone who is using these cameras to shoot films on, including myself, is using a separate audio recorder so the in camera audio controls arent as important. If you're using them more for home video type stuff then i can see them being useful.

I'm not about to join in with the argument, so I'll just say that I'm running ML on my 550D and it's absolutely brilliant. Really transforms the camera.

the 5d had a firmware update a long time ago that corrected the auto gain issue and allowed for manual audio recording so you don't need magic lantern for this anymore.

Back