Undecided Make two piles

Name
Jem Raid
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello there,

Rembrandt van Rijn said, "There is more beauty in your own village than can be appreciated in a lifetime"

Translate that to your own area wherever you live. Make two piles of your work you can do this between your ears, that which you did to impress and that which you did for yourself, be honest! Most choose to find out about personal stuff.

Go out of your home and walk, one person I met did it in a wheelchair, take lots of pics without thinking too much about it. Go through them.

Go out again, this time you can't take whatever you did the first time, you will have to look for something else, it will be there.

Keep doing it at different times, what you walked past dozens of times is suddenly lit in a different way.

Keep looking through your stuff, for a theme a project or merely something you can grab hold of.

Eventually your work will become very expressive and therefore impressive.

It'll serve you well for the rest of your life.

Cheers - J

1606-1669 was probably a time when beauty could be found in abundance (though lots to offend the eye as well!).
In a busy city there can be so much that offends the eye that beauty can be hard to find ... but you are right ... different day, different time and who knows.
If I may give an example, around our Harbourside there is so much for the eye to take in ... colourful houses, machinery, boats and even a loo!

Seat with a view by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

However the Marina can produce some interesting colour and shapes ...

Reflection by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Bristol Colours by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

I pretty much walk the same areas of Bristol and Bath and I never fail to come away with something that pleases me ... what it does for others is a different matter! :LOL:

Rembrandt van Rijn said, "There is more beauty in your own village than can be appreciated in a lifetime"
I've always found this to be true, you only have to look.

Fair play to you @gramps all three very good indeed, love the lav on the boat, the contrast in the 2nd, and the colour reflections in the water.

Great stuff @TimHughes

The two piles is from the Photographers Place in the 80's, Paul Hill and John Blakemore, people came from all over the world to spend the weekend with them. I could not afford the £70 but did find out what it was about.

At the time I thought it was revolutionary, but, later I found Levi Wedels site
http://imagesfound.blogspot.com/2009/04/levi-wedel.html his own images.

Those of Stephen Shore from the 60's
http://imagesfound.blogspot.com/2011/01/stephen-shore.html

And my favourite Brent Bennet
http://imagesfound.blogspot.com/2010/06/brent-bennett.html

Went around to the post box last week been there been there 100's of times never go anywhere without my LX5 around my neck. For the first time I noticed the converging line's. The homes on the right have just been built they and the fence and the shadow under it help. Well that's my excuse for not seeing it before :)

KMCacxdG_o.jpg

Cheers - J

Although I'd much rather visit NYC than leave my door for a walk around Swindon :D there is a whole ton of truth in what you said. I'll head out the door and take photos of anything that catches my eye, especially if I find the light/colour/juxtaposition/tone/texture even vaguely interesting. The photos are often poor, but I'm not interesting in good photos when taking on this visual exercise, for me it forms around the idea of photo/visual notes. There is a satisfaction that you get when you find a good local photo

Great stuff on your IG page @benc98 Levi would love to have those on his site.

Cheers - J

I started this during the first lockdown, and continue it sporadically, now got quite a collection of images, some of the same subject in different lighting, etc. It is an eye opener as to what is a stones throw from your house. I have already put together one zine and no doubt will put together more.

Last edited:
Back