Making a pinhole camera

That's rather handy! Nice work mate :)

I particularly like the reciprocity failure calculator where you just pick the film your going to shoot and away it goes - just need a small enough laptop to take it along with me :)

(though the two ideas of shooting with a pinhole camera and having a laptop computer to calculate how many elephants you need for the exposure really don't sit well together :LOL:)

So here it is! I finished it a little while ago but because I am rubbish, I have only just remembered to post a pic of it :D

photo-1.jpg

I took it to Winchester the other day and took a few photos with it, and am now on frame 11 of 12. I'll fire that off sometime tomorrow and probably dev the film on Sunday. :)

:D Nah, it's a Kiev 88 6x6 back.

Yep, still winding ok. Appears to be working great! Will try and dev the film I've put through it today so will find out later :D

Right, so I'm a little disappointed. Basically, I've not managed to get one usable frame out of the pinhole. 8 of the 12 are massively over exposed and the other 4, whilst still over exposed, are not in any way sharp.

I have to be honest, I was mostly guessing at the exposures, and I could have made more of an effort to keep the camera still on what ever surface it's on, but you'd have thought luck would get me just the one nice frame!

Oh well, live and learn! I shall bung another roll in it and get cracking. Shorter exposures for sure and something other than bluetac as the "tripod" :D

Sorry!!!!!

woodsy glue a metal l plate to the back then you can thread a nut onto a qr plate through it (amazing instant thought)

pulled pan f next time maybe? :D

Nah, I'll use Acros 100. It's reciprocity is much more predictable. As said really, I just need to stop being a tool and try and do it properly. Perhaps then I'll get some images out of it :D

don't you need an fstop to do that :O

how does one work out a vaguely accurate f stop from a dodgily drilled hole :p

don't you need an fstop to do that :O

how does one work out a vaguely accurate f stop from a dodgily drilled hole :p

With this program...

Enter the pinhole diameter in mm

enter the focal length of the camera (i.e. the distance from the pinhole to the film plane)

and it spits out a effective f stop value for the pinhole plate.

incidentally, with a pinhole of 0.5mm and focal length as quoted of 35mm (which doesn't seem quite right to me, from the photograph :shrug:) the effective f-stop of your pinhole camera is f70 - so you need to meter 3 stops slower than the shutter speed reading for f22 (plus a bit for reciprocity failure, dependent on the film you're using)

Also - The pinhole plate you're using would be at it's sharpest at a focal length of 126mm from plate to film surface, so I wouldn't expect fantastically sharp shots from 35mm.

Back