Malaware and Trojan attacks

Canon Bob

Loves the Enemy
Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Just got this warning from the company's IT department (in the US)

A number of rogue web sites (thousands actually) have been able to get ranked high enough on a number of prominent search engines (Google, Yahoo, etc.) to show up at the top of the list for search results. But when you click on these sites, you get inundated with malware - Trojans, Viruses, etc.
It is extremely important that you verify that your Virus scanning definitions are up-to-date and all of your critical Windows patches are installed.
For more information regarding this new type of attack and some things to watch for in the search results follow the link below.

http://www.computerworld.com/action...leBasic&articleId=9049269&intsrc=news_ts_head

Worth being careful for a while.

Bob

It seem the more they cure the more is released. Do you use IE or Firefox Bob?

It seem the more they cure the more is released. Do you use IE or Firefox Bob?

I use IE for company stuff (their laptop and their rules!) and Firefox for personal stuff...my preference.

Bob

swapped with this sort of stuff these days - essential to have additional "malaware" software.

Adaware / spybot / spyware doctor are all very good, I actually have 2 of these & run them often - suprising what you pick up on the WWW even on supposedly genuine websites

simon

Guys/girls,

If I can be of any assistance with this, drop me a line. If you're concerned about possibly being infected check it out with the following scanner (Yes I work for Prevx):

"Scan your PC now" - http://info.prevx.com/downloadprevx2.asp

My only comment to help you relax a little is to remember that a cookie IS NOT Malware. If something flags them as such, they're lying!

It seem the more they cure the more is released.

Check out the performance chart on our homepage for an idea of just how far behind most of the big vendors are:

www.prevx.com

Basically, traditional signature driven anti-virus software is dead in the water and has been for some time!

I had a user phone me up the other day

"I had an email from the 'bank' it said new loan application, so I opened it. Every time open internet it takes 10 mins and has music playing"

He had a trojan, took 2 days of faffing, in the end reinstalled windows. Only way I could get rid of the file.

If someone had stolen your Identity the loan confirmation wouldn't come through to your email address. Banks/credit card companys will never email you asking for your details, people don't seem to realise that.

Back