Wild Male Adder (Vipera berus) out of hibernation!...the 2023 season begins.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
One of 2 male Adders seen before lunchtime yesterday (15/2/23). I had seen 1 of them on the 14th of Feb (the day before) but it was late in the afternoon, so i only got a record shot then. Good amounts of sunshine, meant for perfect conditions yesterday, which made for some nice images.

I never handle Adders, i never try to move them, i photograph them exactly as i find them in the wild.

Always show caution when getting this close to an Adder. Ive been observing adders for well over a decade now, so i have some understanding, when it comes to how these beautiful creatures might react.
No images have been cropped. Cheers Paul.

Male Adder (Vipera berus) up close! Out of hibernation. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Male Adder (Vipera berus). Out of hibernation. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Male Adder (Vipera berus) up close! Out of hibernation. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Male Adder (Vipera berus). Out of hibernation. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Very nice Paul :)

Very nice Paul :)
Thanks Chris.

Very cool. You're braver than me.
Cheers Dale.
Knowing your subject helps with the "bravery"??...Despite the snake basking in strong sunlight, at this time of the year(and early part of the day) an the Reptile only just emerging from hibernation, he is still not fully warmed up yet...however, saying that, they can still strike out quite rapid. The plan was, locate the snakes, move in close, shoot pics, then get out of sight/range/smell/taste asap. You dont want to disturb/distress these beauties too much, as they need to bask.
Would i shoot images at this close range, if the temps/reptile were warmer/hotter?..................errrrrrrrrr, probably not. ;)

These are great images , so nice to hear how much you respect your subjects . I know of two good Adder sites , I have been shown them twice at said sites , but can never find them on my own , I just don`t seem to have the eye for them , any tips ? I would also like to know what kit your using , for both these and your beautiful Butterfly images . I feel sorry for wildlife , if we really are to be hit by the nasty cold spell that`s being predicted .

Nice images and great to see, TFS (y)
Thanks for that Gav.
These are great images , so nice to hear how much you respect your subjects . I know of two good Adder sites , I have been shown them twice at said sites , but can never find them on my own , I just don`t seem to have the eye for them , any tips ? I would also like to know what kit your using , for both these and your beautiful Butterfly images . I feel sorry for wildlife , if we really are to be hit by the nasty cold spell that`s being predicted .
Thanks for that.
Visit your 2 Adder sites, move very slowly as you search for them. When they are on the move, sometimes you can here them, before you see them! Even if its not blazing sunshine, once they emerge from hibernation, they should come out to bask daily if temps are approx 10+ celsius, anywhere from 10.00am onwards. March is a better month, its best to sight them before the vegetation starts to grow too thick/high. Come April, they will have starting sloughing/shedding their winter skin, males will compete for receptive females, fights are awsome to see...as in - "The Adder Dance", its not really a fight, the males just entwine with each other, see who is more dominant. Once the mating season is over, adders will disperse for hunting/feeding. The females that have mated (not every year) will spend the whole year basking (not feeding) an give birth to live babies in the autumn months. All other females that didnt mate, will hunt as the males do, so its harder to find them come Summer!...Hope this helps. Please be careful though, as you know these are protected venomous snakes, whist its extremely rare to get bitten...it could happen. Most are not hostile, but ive seen (in the hotter months) aggressive snakes...one large female i came across, thought she was a Cobra!! she raised herself right up off of the ground, hissed like hell at me (an i was nowhere near her) so i gave that snake a wide berth, left her to it, an moved on.

As for the kit, ssshhhhhhhhhhhh dont tell anyone, but these images in this thread were shot using a cheap old 12 MP bridge camera, with a Polaroid 500D close lens attached!!! But i normally use a MFT's camera, with a bridge camera alongside it, both will have Canon/Polaroid 500D/250D doublet achromatic close up lenses attached. Panny G80 last year, but ive just got a panny G9 and a Panny FZ1000 set for this year, so should be a great season for me, because the new kit should improve my images. ;)
Great set Paul, you obviously know your subject well to be able to find them and photograph them so closely. I never knew Adders would be out this early I'll need to be more careful when I'm out on my Dartmoor Photowalks. (y)
Thanks Paul, yes Adders can emerge quite early in the year...Ive spent many many hours/years observing several local colonies, which is a joy.
Unfortunately, adders are still persecuted, so its not unusual to find/hear of people killing them. School holidays are the worst...all those teens going into the woods...killing everything they come across. Thankfully the killing is rare...but in the last decade, adder numbers have seen a dramatic decline in the locations that i visit...loss of habitat is right up there too!!!
Cheers Paul.

Last edited:
I've only ever seen one on my Dartmoor Photowalks on a track scurrying across it a small on about 10 inches long I think it was a juvenile. Of course I didn't have a camera in the ready positon capture it.
Yes, sounds like a Juvi at that size, perhaps a yearly?
But, its a good sign to find juvies.........because that means adults are in the area/location. ;)

Thanks for all that info , I don`t know if me and my partners health are going to allow such opportunities , but will see . There is that saying about it doesn't matter what kit you use , I wouldn`t judge your kit in any case , but you are proof it`s the photographer that counts . Let us know when your using the new kit , I personally don`t see it improving your photos . ;)

Thanks for all that info , I don`t know if me and my partners health are going to allow such opportunities , but will see . There is that saying about it doesn't matter what kit you use , I wouldn`t judge your kit in any case , but you are proof it`s the photographer that counts . Let us know when your using the new kit , I personally don`t see it improving your photos . ;)
Thanks, theres another saying...The best camera, is the one you have on you at the time...I leave that old Bridge Camera in my car, so if i get time in a lunch break from work, i know i have a camera handy, in case anything should unfold.
Cheers Paul.
PS. 2nd session with the Adders last Sunday...did i get better images with my new kit? possibly. ;)

Nice set Paul

Back