Malham Cove Waterfall

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Was up at scaleber waterfall taking a few pictures when got talking to some people and they said the water was coming over the top of malham cove to create a waterfall
well enough said in car and straight over there to find a sight that's not been seen for what some people were saying hasn't been seen in a life time

[url=https://flic.kr/p/AXfmsN]Malham Cove Waterfall 2 by Mick Shaw, on Flickr[/URL]

Last edited:
Great detail in this.
It was worth the extra trip in the car.

…worth another one for proper light conditions… Good luck!

Nice place but this looks far too over sharpened or the 'clarity slider' has been used way over the top. Spoils what would otherwise be a decent photo IMHO.

Wish I'd been there to see it, thanks for sharing

As above..wish had been there to see it, quite a sight and thanks for sharing.

Was up at scaleber waterfall taking a few pictures when got talking to some people and they said the water was coming over the top of malham cove to create a waterfall
well enough said in car and straight over there to find a sight that's not been seen for what some people were saying hasn't been seen in a life time

Malham Cove Waterfall 2 by Mick Shaw, on Flickr
Lovely shot but not true about not being seen for a lifetime, we were camping in the farm campsite about 15-16 years ago and were "evacuated" because the river burst its banks, the day after we were taken back for our gear and clearly remember the cove in waterfall

Great memories for us Yorkshire folk. Well captured.

Lovely shot but not true about not being seen for a lifetime, we were camping in the farm campsite about 15-16 years ago and were "evacuated" because the river burst its banks, the day after we were taken back for our gear and clearly remember the cove in waterfall
Are you mixing it up with gordale scar, that's near Malham, there's a campsite there too. Local rangers are saying it's the first time in a couple of hundred years!

Noticed similar pics on Twitter this weekend (along with Cumbria flood pics) and also noticed various media organizations asking if they could use the images 'with a credit'. The one of the cove is stunning as for a short while it became the longest free fall waterfall in Britain. As I understand this has not happening at the cove for a lot of years (not in living memory). I would have thought that the locals would have been quick to rebuff this claim if it happened 15-16 years ago.................

Some of the 'locals' are saying living memory, other 100 years, other 200 years and yet other saying 'not since the ice age'.

I'm pretty sure there was water falling from it in 1978 when I did my Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award. Hiked there from school, about 15 miles away, and spent 4 days there, p***ed it down all day every day for the whole time. Didn't stop us going in for a swim either and having a shower if the falls.

Others from school also remember this.

Are you mixing it up with gordale scar, that's near Malham, there's a campsite there too. Local rangers are saying it's the first time in a couple of hundred years!
No, i know the area very well, we camped on the shore of the beck which runs from the cove, the farm site in question is the very last property when leaving Malham on Cove road and is approsx 1/2 from the base of the Cove wall, it did also say on Look North last night there were reports of the waterfall during 2000 which would tie in with when we were there

This is one of the points where water normally gets into the cave system, even when there is an unusual mount of surface water.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1155050
I'd imagine this could quite easily be partially blocked with twiggy debris and leaves at this time of year and considering the accompanying high winds.

Thanks for all the replies and comments all I can say on the subject the locals form Malham where saying they`d not seen water coming over the top in there life time one local chap got talking to said he`d lived in Malham for 31 years and in all that time he`d never seen water coming over the top
a lot of people said it had not done this since the 1700`s .
But on this time I was there to see it happen it may be along time it happens again but with the way the weather is treating us over the years who is to say .

Back