Mamiya Medium Format owners group

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all you wonderful peeps

Did a quick search and did not find such a thread or group...

SO, any Mamiya MF film shooters out there interested in pitching in and sharing ideas?

I currently own a M645J, basic as they come and I have the 80mm and 45mm lenses.

I am very interested in buying the RB 67 Pro SD.

Would love to hear from other Mamiya MF film shooters and owners about their ideas, likes and dislikes of the Mamiya stuff.

Cheers all(y)

Whilst I personally don't, we have several RB/RZ67 shooters in Film & Conventional. They will probably come out of the woodwork when everyone wakes up in the UK (y)

I've seen some great portrait work with the M645 and the 80mm f/1.9 lens, about as shallow as they come in medium format (the only one that comes to mind would be the Hasselblad 110mm f/2 FE). I'd also love to own a Mamiya 6, but they are sadly a bit too expensive.

Whilst I personally don't, we have several RB/RZ67 shooters in Film & Conventional. They will probably come out of the woodwork when everyone wakes up in the UK (y)

I've seen some great portrait work with the M645 and the 80mm f/1.9 lens, about as shallow as they come in medium format (the only one that comes to mind would be the Hasselblad 110mm f/2 FE). I'd also love to own a Mamiya 6, but they are sadly a bit too expensive.

Thanks for the response!(y)

Looking forward to meeting them one by one.

One of the things I would like to know is whether Mamiya is really that far off the Hasselblad mark (assuming H is the standard?) or is it a brand thing and more about the togger than the tool...:p

Well I have a RB67 pro but have no idea on what I could offer a group as specs, shots, opinions etc are already on the net. Mind you I have just weighed mine with Prism, 65mm and 180 lens in common photographer's bag and it's just over 8lbs erm if anybody wanted to know that :)

One of the things I would like to know is whether Mamiya is really that far off the Hasselblad mark (assuming H is the standard?) or is it a brand thing and more about the togger than the tool...:p

Well there seems to be some consensus on the internet that the Mamiya 7's glass is superior to a lot of Hasselblad glass (no need to design glass to accommodate a moving mirror), but the truth is Mamiya glass - SLR, rangefinder, TLR - holds its own. By the time you get to big medium format negatives, I think it comes down to which camera suits your shooting best, rather than brands in particular...

Well I have a RB67 pro but have no idea on what I could offer a group as specs, shots, opinions etc are already on the net. Mind you I have just weighed mine with Prism, 65mm and 180 lens in common photographer's bag and it's just over 8lbs erm if anybody wanted to know that :)

Brian, thanks for that, a good start:D

What I would like to know is likes and dislikes, no matter how subjective as long as explained as such...

For one, do you find the rotating back positive, negative or neutral?

Any other little things that might seem insignificant?

Cheers!

Well there seems to be some consensus on the internet that the Mamiya 7's glass is superior to a lot of Hasselblad glass (no need to design glass to accommodate a moving mirror), but the truth is Mamiya glass - SLR, rangefinder, TLR - holds its own. By the time you get to big medium format negatives, I think it comes down to which camera suits your shooting best, rather than brands in particular...

Sounds fair!

From my side I can really only afford to own and run so many cameras...so I tend to explore the camera and shape my shooting style with the camera's abilities and limitations...

For now I am utterly convinced that the RB 67 with WLF should be my next camera as I do mostly landscapes and I enjoy very low angle shooting from a tripod.

Needless to say, I use primes of the standard to wide type...Suppose I might just try a medium telephoto and / or TS functionality lenses but this provided that my quarter plate folder does not have enough T and S for my liking...

I use my RB67 for landscapes, the WLF is very useful for tripod work but the only annoyance i have is the mirrored viewfinder, i've had the camera for a year and a half and i still turn it the wrong way about 1/3rd of the time.

The "newer" lenses the C and K/L ones are sodding sharp, yes you would probably see more detail with Zeiss lenses on a blad but only if you were using a tech film. You are far more likely to lose detail from scanning than you are from it not being Zeiss.

Brian, thanks for that, a good start:D

What I would like to know is likes and dislikes, no matter how subjective as long as explained as such...

For one, do you find the rotating back positive, negative or neutral?

Any other little things that might seem insignificant?

Cheers!

The rotating back is excellent, and the construction of a RB67 to a Rollei SL66 (my previous camera) is very crude, but hey it works and the Rollei SL66 is probably over engineered anyway. The Zeiss lenses are sharper (at least in theory) than Mamiya but must admit many of my shots I couldn't see the difference as maybe my enlarging lens in the darkroom was the weakest link (Ross Resolux 11cm) and I wouldn't pay for very large lab prints (or any size to see if there was any difference. ;)
The only neg against a RB67 is:- its just not convenient to use compared to say a Bronica Etrs, but for me slung in my back pack on a push bike is no problem, well I'm a fair weather shooter so carrying a heavy tripod would be more of a problem in dull light.

I use my RB67 for landscapes, the WLF is very useful for tripod work but the only annoyance i have is the mirrored viewfinder, i've had the camera for a year and a half and i still turn it the wrong way about 1/3rd of the time.

The "newer" lenses the C and K/L ones are sodding sharp, yes you would probably see more detail with Zeiss lenses on a blad but only if you were using a tech film. You are far more likely to lose detail from scanning than you are from it not being Zeiss.

Hey Rob

Glad you found the thread, was going to invite you over...I am sure it is a good bit different and I understand the thing about turning the wrong way...

Right now and for the past few months I have found myself in a very anti-digital back to film frame of mind.

I enjoy shooting the biggest possible negatives and learning more about camera systems that were WAY OUT OF MY REACH 20 years ago...

Hoping there are others who feel this way too!

The rotating back is excellent, and the construction of a RB67 to a Rollei SL66 (my previous camera) is very crude, but hey it works and the Rollei SL66 is probably over engineered anyway. The Zeiss lenses are sharper (at least in theory) than Mamiya but must admit many of my shots I couldn't see the difference as maybe my enlarging lens in the darkroom was the weakest link (Ross Resolux 11cm) and I wouldn't pay for very large lab prints (or any size to see if there was any difference. ;)
The only neg against a RB67 is:- its just not convenient to use compared to say a Bronica Etrs, but for me slung in my back pack on a push bike is no problem, well I'm a fair weather shooter so carrying a heavy tripod would be more of a problem in dull light.

I do lots of low light and those types of images so a decent tripod or two is a given...I have a LPL 7700 Pro B&W enlarger, not currently set-up but would like to get some Schneider Componon-S lenses for it...that said, I will probably do that for the joy of it only and have my negs scanned for commercial large format prints.

I will put up some shots taken with my M645J as soon as they are scanned...

I have a mamiya 6, and every single lens they ever made for it from the beginning of time....:LOL:
Its sooo sharp....(there are so many reasons why negs are not sharp, this camera removes a few opportunities for then to not be), so every camera I've owned has been measured against it.
Got an LPL 7700 too, but mines colour, and an ancient old 90mm Ross Rosstar, which I'm assured is sweet as a nut.......someday I'll find out.

I have a mamiya 6, and every single lens they ever made for it from the beginning of time....:LOL:

Snap, all 3 of them :D

It is a beautiful system, and I would (and have) take it anywhere I would take a 6x6 SLR, with the exception of head and shoulders filling the frame portraits, and super close focusing wide angle landscapes (which I don't like anyway)
These are mainly flaws in it being a rangefinder though, not a Mamiya, although I wish they could have given us a little bit more (or less) on the close focus on the 80mm

The only reason my pair don't get as much use as they otherwise would is my LF

Last edited:
How do you judge the position of ND grads with a rangefinder? I keep getting tempted by a Fuji 690 but seeing as I use hard grads a lot it would be hard to judge positioning

Snap, all 3 of them :D

It is a beautiful system, and I would (and have) take it anywhere I would take a 6x6 SLR,

So jealous - the Mamiya 6 and a Leica M system are the only two that I still want to use/try/own(?!) at some point. Now if someone could produce a digital 6x6 rangefinder so everyone dumps their Mamiya 6's prematurely... :D

Hello all you wonderful peeps

Did a quick search and did not find such a thread or group...

SO, any Mamiya MF film shooters out there interested in pitching in and sharing ideas?

I currently own a M645J, basic as they come and I have the 80mm and 45mm lenses.

I am very interested in buying the RB 67 Pro SD.

Would love to hear from other Mamiya MF film shooters and owners about their ideas, likes and dislikes of the Mamiya stuff.

Cheers all(y)
I anton im steve51 i own all mamiya gear rb rz m645 af645 look forward to talking to you

How do you judge the position of ND grads with a rangefinder? I keep getting tempted by a Fuji 690 but seeing as I use hard grads a lot it would be hard to judge positioning

Judging grads isn't too hard if you can divide the lens up in your mind.

Anyway, try shooting with a polariser and then say a grad is tough...

It is though, much easier if you can see your lines/effect ttl

I don't find using the polariser that hard tbh. It swings up to just above the lens so you can see pretty much exactly what's there, it's just a little slower.

For grads it's pretty much a case of you learn where on your lens the graduated bit should be, it's not too hard. I also hate really over-graded pictures anyway, so I'm never trying to get 5 stops with a hard edge or anything extreme like that

I've got a brand new never used before RB67 Pro SD with kit lens 90mm KL. Got lucky and got a good deal on it, and then also a brand new 127mm and 150mm Soft Focus lens. And besides the 6x7 back also the 6x4.5 and 6x8 (motorised) backs.

I'm in two minds whether to keep it brand new or actually use them :) I think I will use them...

Use them or else :bat:

Well, I had a Mamiya Six folding rangefinder which I didn't get on with so sold it.

Similarly I tried the TLR C3, C220 and C330 and whilst I greatly enjoyed the ergonomics ultimately found the square format print too limiting.

I had a Mamiya 7 rangefinder and lenses and whilst the quality was astronomical found the simplicity of operation less than fullly engaging.

So now I have two 645 bodies, a metal 1000S and a polymer 645 Pro which share a range of lenses.

What I need now, most of all, is a MF film scanner so that I can digitise my negs.

I'd love a Mamiya 6, it'd complement my Leica perfectly but the Rolleis I have scratch that 6x6 itch pretty well. A 7 with a wide angle though... Don't get me started. There were a bunch of Mamiya 6's and 7's being sold on RFF a while ago for some really good prices but I didn't have the money at the time. :(

I anton im steve51 i own all mamiya gear rb rz m645 af645 look forward to talking to you

Awesome and welcome!

I will put up something that resembles a M645J review...others may find it useful...

I suppose some images shot with it might also be useful...

As soon as I can get my latest films scanned, folks!

I have the RB67, and use it for landscapes (not so much since I got into large format however which is why I keep thinking about selling it on). I have the 50mm Seckor C lens which is very nice and an 80mm which I have not used.

I love the WLF and the rotating back. It is a very solid piece of kit. Nice and heavy which to me is a plus as it cuts down on shake when taking a photo.

As it is very heavy, I dont think it would be much use for handholding. The larger negatives are also a plus for me although some may prefer more shots per roll of film, so the things I like about it may be dislikes to other people.

I have the RB67, and use it for landscapes (not so much since I got into large format however which is why I keep thinking about selling it on). I have the 50mm Seckor C lens which is very nice and an 80mm which I have not used.

I love the WLF and the rotating back. It is a very solid piece of kit. Nice and heavy which to me is a plus as it cuts down on shake when taking a photo.

As it is very heavy, I dont think it would be much use for handholding. The larger negatives are also a plus for me although some may prefer more shots per roll of film, so the things I like about it may be dislikes to other people.

Exactly all the things I like too!

Is it the Pro S or Pro SD?

If it is the SD and you ever decide to sell I would like to know!;)

It is just the Pro S version unfortunately.

I keep going back and forth about selling as I love the camera, but never use it anymore. At the same time I would prefer using this and the still available Velvia 50 instead of mounting a 67 back on a large format camera.

I have a quite good digital camera too, but having a physical transparency is unbeatable in my view. One other thing about the 67 is that it is not inconspicuous when using it, but people tend to quite like it.

I have the RZ67, 180mm lens along with an older 90mm RB lens which works just fine so long as I remember to set the shutter speed on the lens and not the body!!

Not had the kit very long tbh so still pretty much a learner but the results I have had are extremely sharp and I find the equipment a joy to use albiet a little bit bulky/heavy...that said, I only ever shoot it on tripod and go out with a purpose shot in mind.

The revolving back and ability to change film backs is brilliant imo.

Occasionally I find the 6 x 7 format a little "awkward" to work with....depends what i'm shooting I guess but the quality from the glass allows the shot to be cropped in PP if needs be without much loss in IQ

I've actually been out with this afternoon/evening with the RZ to capture a couple of sunset shots on Velvia....very rarely shoot colour film so will make an interesting change once I get the film finished and processed.

I don't find using the polariser that hard tbh. It swings up to just above the lens so you can see pretty much exactly what's there, it's just a little slower.

For grads it's pretty much a case of you learn where on your lens the graduated bit should be, it's not too hard. I also hate really over-graded pictures anyway, so I'm never trying to get 5 stops with a hard edge or anything extreme like that

My first go with a polariser was 67mm, so it didn't actually fit, I just held it over the lens, subsequently I got a 58 and have developed a method using a dot of tippex at 12 o'clock on the ring that doesn't move.
If I'm honest though, holding the filter over the lens is actually a lot less fannying about...lol

On that point of polarisers etc, looks like I will finally just have to take the plunge and go Lee

I am building up way too many systems with different lens sizes and my Cokin P system will not work on my wide angle prime on the 5D...

Choices, choices...Oh well, one decent set of filters and half a million adapter rings...

At the mo my favourite lenses are the 21mm Zeiss (82mm element) on the 5D and the 45mm on the 645 (67mm)

I am longing for a polarizer as both ones I own are 77mm screw-ons...

Last edited:
This thread is interesting and made me lust after a Mamiya 6 (not the bigger guys). But I keep trying to remind myself that my shots are nowhere near good enough to require that extra detail from the 120 film, and >£1K is a lot to pay for an entry into 120.

I'm wondering if Andysnap would comment on his move from Yash Mat to Mamiya 330? I'm put off by the mirror image thing though...

Chris, there are cheaper ways than 1K to get into 120 roll film...

I don't know if you are after a specific model of camera that goes for that price but here are cheaper ways...t

I'd just priced up a Mamiya 6 with 3 lenses on eBay, and was convincing myself not to buy! Yes, I'm probably going to start either with a folder or a TLR...

Go for a TLR, cheap intro to MF and if you decide you don't like it or you do and want something a bit more flash then you can just sell it on and its unlikely you'll lose any money, if you buy carefully you may even make a little (y)

Mamiya 645 master race reporting in (y) I have the 1000s and the f/1.9, brilliant combo, especially for the price

I've got a 1000s 645 with a lot of the bits and pieces that go with it. I am starting to get very tempted by the mamiya 7. It seems a pricey bit of kit and I am trying to work out what the best body/lens combination would be.

Mike

645 Pro here.

It doesn't get used enough but that will change this year!

RB67 PRO SD here, 50mm and 127mm haven't found the need for any more, would possibly like a T/S though, use one on my Canon, Nikon and Leica.

C

Back