Managing colour differences

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I've just been out for a shoot tonight and spent a good hour editing some images... Exported them on the pc and been excited to upload to instagram;
This image in particular was meant to have a nice sky, contrast between the foreground and background. But still a visible foreground... Now on my phone it looks.l over saturated and the foreground is lacking the visibility on my pc.
How do you guys manage this?
Do you edit for phone? Or for PC?

How do you see the below images?

On my phone image 1848 looks over edited and over saturated. On my pc it doesn't.

Image 1872 on my pc the sky is less red, the shadows are brighter and you can see some (but not a lot) of foreground detail.

Attachments

• DSC_1848-HDR (1).jpg
    DSC_1848-HDR (1).jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_1872 (1).jpg
    DSC_1872 (1).jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 31
Thanks guys.
Its always hard on phones. I always have a blue light filter on, so they tend to look more yellow on screen due to the lack of colour....
Also my phone had Vivid turned on, instead of natural, that made a huge difference in saturation.

Reactions: Sky
1872 looks ok on my phone. I would have guessed it might have had the saturation upped a little bit, but not excessively and looks ok to my eyes. As said above though I don't have my screen set to vivid or anything like that.

So on the dark contrastyimage;

I've got the vibrance set to +14, dehaze set to 16 as it was a touch too hazy, shadows at +68, higlights at -18, contrast at +19, and exposure at +1.05,.

White balance is set to "as shot"
I've done a very slight curve on the image.
HSL;
Yellows have been pushed a touch towards the orange,

The non contrast image; has had similar editing, althoguh this has a gentle S curve, saturation is decreased by -1 and vibrance is increased by +14

I edit and process for print, not really bothered what it might look like elsewhere.
Every photo sharing platform I have ever seen alters them in one way or another.
If it looks right on the soft proofing copy i'm happy with that.
My main objective is to get a print as near to what I'm seeing on the screen.

I have only one friend who does basic edits via Photoworks on her PC and then throws on some Lightroom presets on mobile for social networks solely. I could't be bothered with this, tbh, since every platform is going to add its own changes and I'm too lazy to adjust to all of them :ROFLMAO:

I edit for print to get as close to my screen as possible. I rarely worry about screen viewers because their screens are likely uncalibrated, all different sizes, and the algorithms used to display them are all over the place (as others have already said).

As to whether the pics are over-saturated or not... There is no mathematical point at which an image is over saturated - it's all completely subjective. To me, they are, but that's my taste. The question is - what do you think?

I edit for print to get as close to my screen as possible. I rarely worry about screen viewers because their screens are likely uncalibrated, all different sizes, and the algorithms used to display them are all over the place (as others have already said).

As to whether the pics are over-saturated or not... There is no mathematical point at which an image is over saturated - it's all completely subjective. To me, they are, but that's my taste. The question is - what do you think?
+1
Although i only rarely print, i edit on a calibrated monitor as if all images were to be printed. Sometimes i will share images on Social media, but i don't change anything. When viewed on a mobile device and compared to others they don't have the wow effect, but i don't really care. Usually those which have the wow effect viewed on a smartphone, tend to trigger my migraines when viewed full size on a PC monitor.

So really it depends on your audience and medium.

I don't really adjust for printing, unless I'm printing. None of my monitors (laptop or PC) are calibrated (I have adjusted them to what I think looks right) or my phone for that matter (can you even calibrate a phone screen).
Very rarely has anyone said my photos are too light, too dark, over saturated, lacking punch etc.
When viewing my photos on my phone, sometimes the dark areas of a photo will look much darker than on my PC monitor, so I'll adjust that photo a bit on my phone, to make it look more how I want it to.

Back