Manfrotto Monopods

Edit My Images
Yes
What does everyone have and why?

I thought the 681B was the one to go for, but it seems they've pretty much disappeared off eBay. I remember looking a few months ago and seeing tons!

I have the Manfrotto MN679, very very sturdy. According to the specs it can take 22lb's of weight so more than enough for a 70-200F2.8 and body.

Also has both size screws at the top so is universal.

I got mine from E-bay brand new. Auction was a £35 BIN or best offer with free delivery. I offered £25 and won it. So a bargain really :)

The maximum weight does that make a huge difference, I have a Modo and note that the 1kilo is maximum weight. I was intending to use it with a 80-200 2.8

What does everyone have and why?

I thought the 681B was the one to go for, but it seems they've pretty much disappeared off eBay. I remember looking a few months ago and seeing tons!

After another full day at Brands over the weekend, I can see why you might need one (left mine at home :( - manfrotto 680B), it provides stability, and reduces the strain on your neck and shoulders when using a camera for 5-6 hours, almost constantly. Primarily to help support the large prime lenses, but I can see the advantages with say using anything in the 300mm, 70-200mm, 100-400mm lens range if you going to be shooting for extended periods.

offering a free head with the 680b manfrotto monopod
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=10000644

Peter

After another full day at Brands over the weekend, I can see why you might need one (left mine at home :( - manfrotto 680B), it provides stability, and reduces the strain on your neck and shoulders when using a camera for 5-6 hours, almost constantly. Primarily to help support the large prime lenses, but I can see the advantages with say using anything in the 300mm, 70-200mm, 100-400mm lens range if you going to be shooting for extended periods.

offering a free head with the 680b manfrotto monopod
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=10000644

Peter
Cheers mate -- ordered. May see you at Brands sometime.

I have the 695, which fits my 2.8 tele's and a D300 nicely. I haven't used a head with it, don't really see the need. I suppose it could come in handy if you wanted to quickly switch to portrait rather than landscape.

Bought it after I made the mistake of trying to shoot with the Sigma 120-300 handheld all day at the Snetterton BTCC meet last year. Arm ached for days :D

Sorry to barge into this thread kryptix but I was wondering what the best size monopod for a 6'1 person would be, would 155cm be enough?

Sorry to barge into this thread kryptix but I was wondering what the best size monopod for a 6'1 person would be, would 155cm be enough?
Get a tape measure and try it out mate, that's what I did. I'd say you'd want 160cm at least. Mine is 159cm and even that is a tiny bit small and I'm 6ft.

I have a 681B and use it with a 486RC2. Works a treat with 100-400L. I tried that tilt head and didn't get on with it at all, though some people don't use any head on a monopod. Can't understand that myself - you should try shooting an air display with anything but a ball head. Nightmare - handholding is preferable.

On the monopod height thing, if you're shooting high stuff (aircraft, moon) you need a very tall one.

I have a 276b, i inherrited it from my father, its a sturdy thing and doubles up as a decent walking stick. I was taking some urban shots last week in a deserted high rise complex, i suddenly felt fairly vulnerable with some decent kit on me so i figured it would double up as protection too:) cheers dad

On that note then, how about the Giottos MML3290B or the Velbon RUP4 with a 484RC2 head?Both those seem to fit the bill for me, although I can't seem to find the weight limit on the Velbon? (light, pack up small (ish) and hold a 400D and 300 f/4)

I have a 685B with a 234 head. I find I use it almost all the time with my 70 - 200. In part because it's keeps the camera still (obv.) and partly because the weight of the camera with the 2.8L lens is just too heavy to hold for long periods of time.

I much prefer the mono pod to a tripod, although I'm sure that depends on the type of stuff you do.

I much prefer the mono pod to a tripod, although I'm sure that depends on the type of stuff you do.
Both do different jobs
I have an un-branded mono pod but its great with a tilting head 1.5mt high in 5 sections the foot is adjustable to have a metal point as well.
The odd thing about it is I have taking on board planes with no one asking any questions yet have had a small screwdriver for repair glasses removed from me????

never really used tripods,but its my birthday so im going for a monopod(mainly for motorsport F1) was looking in my local shop and the lady recommended the 679b (d80,tamron 18mm-250mm) which seemed fine but i wasnt sure which head. i really liked the 322 but i do tend to like gadgets! good setup or am i waisting money?

never really used tripods,but its my birthday so im going for a monopod(mainly for motorsport F1) was looking in my local shop and the lady recommended the 679b (d80,tamron 18mm-250mm) which seemed fine but i wasnt sure which head. i really liked the 322 but i do tend to like gadgets! good setup or am i waisting money?

Do you mean the Manfrotto trigger ball head jobbie? It's no gimmick, works really well. I've got one. It's main virtue is speed, which is not always necessary on a tripod, but the other thing I like is that you cannot accidentally let it go without locking - with normal ball heads there is always the time when you foget and the camera goes crashing down against the legs :eek: It's really not very funny at all.

I'm 6' and use the Manfrotto 680B with the 484RC2 ball head. I generally keep the ball head in the normal position but it adds a bit of useful height and also has a QR plate. I prefer the lever leg locks rather the twist leg locks on some monopods.

Although I'm slightly amused when I see people with a short lens and a monopod which really isn't necessary!

I am toying between two monopods at the moment. The Manfrotto 680B with the tilt head which has already been linked to in this thread, and also one from redsnapper with a ball head.
http://www1.clikpic.com/Redsnapper/photo_3193980.html

I already have a redsnapper tripod which i get on with well so i am already leaning that way, but you like to hear others opinions.

The manfrotto is rated at 10kg max load, the redsnapper slightly lower at 8kg, but not a difference that will really matter i imagine.
More impotantly i guess is the heads, though these could always be upgraded later. The manfrotto tilt head has a 2.5kg max load where as the redsnapper ball head will take 5kgs.

Too throw a spanner into the works, I went to my local LCE and looked at all the monos and came home with a Velbon Neo Pod 64 :) works great and its made of Carbon fibre so its a smidgen lighter and stronger then the others :).

although if you are a brandwhore then your not gonna look at any alternatives.

Cheers hoppyuk you confirmed my thoughts,ill be buying the 322 head!thanks

Baz, sorry mate but I've just realised you're planning to put that 322 head on a monopod. Of course you can, but I wouldn't. An ordinary ball head is better.

I use the 322 on a Manfrotto Neotec tripod. For gadget lovers, that's a cool combination ;)

Actually despite their credentials, Benro actually make pretty good value monopods. I have one of their carbon fibre ones and its fantastic, much cheaper than mainstream manufacturers as well.

got a velbon up-4000 which I love, although getting a Manfrotto 679B free as part of a subscription to a camera mag so while passing jessops had a look in at one... really sturdy and really nice feel to it... far better than my velbon bar teh fact mine has a retractable spike in the foot and the manfrotto doesn't... just need to wait a month for it to be delivered now though :(

Haven't tried one with a head on though and have personally found no problem with using a monopod connected directly to the camera body... my problem was finding monopods that were tall enough as I'm 6"3 and having to bend down to use it kind of defeats the point as it makes more more unstable... luckily the 679B looks only marginally smaller than the velbon so it should be ok.

Back