Manfrotto which head

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all
Im looking at buying a head for a new tripod Im ordering(Manfrotto 055XPROB)

its a choice between 804RC2 & 460MG

total price inc head £160 or £162 inc p&p
(unless you know one cheaper)

ok fire away & thanx for your help (hopefully)

:D

Thanx Stan for the info, the only reason I looked at the second head was because it has as the ads say
quote The rubber grip knobs provide finger tip control and won’t poke you in the eye like conventional handles do
so I was thinking for hikes and carrying it might have been easier to handle

i have the 804RC2 to go with my 190XPROB,and it's a good head for all disciplines of photography.

i've no experience on the 460MG,so can't comment.

Just had news today that my 190XBPROB and 804RC2 is coming tomorrow along with my Speedlite SB600. I've waited a while but they were waiting to get stock in. Looking forward to receiving it, though I've just read the manual for SB600 on the net and I reckon it should be fun trying to learn how to use it.:clap:

Thankyou Footman, Simon & HWG for the info looks like it might be the 804RC2
I did look at the grip Simon, but I was quite undecided...... damn more things to look at hahaha
How does my price of £162 compare to what you have seen ??
HWG enjoy..... my next purchase might be a Flash or I kinda fancy a 300mm prime cant afford both.

Thankyou Footman, Simon & HWG for the info looks like it might be the 804RC2
I did look at the grip Simon, but I was quite undecided...... damn more things to look at hahaha
How does my price of £162 compare to what you have seen ??
HWG enjoy..... my next purchase might be a Flash or I kinda fancy a 300mm prime cant afford both.

Digital Depot are doing the Nikon Speedlite SB600 for £139, they have just had them come in today. It's cheaper thatn the SB400.

can you confirm you ordered the 190 and not the 055? Also, where and what price did you end up getting?

Only interested because i was looking at the 055 and 460mg head last week myself...

Thanks.

can you confirm you ordered the 190 and not the 055? Also, where and what price did you end up getting?

Only interested because i was looking at the 055 and 460mg head last week myself...

Thanks.

Manfrotto 055XPROB + 804RC2 Tripod Kit INC P&P UK MAINLAND

£162.85

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk

hope this helps unless you know where its cheaper (y)

Have you considered the weight of the 055XPROB. It's 2.40kg compared to 1.80kg for the 190XBPRO. Quite a difference when you are hauling it up mountains. I probably wont take mine up. I've bought a Leki Sierra fotosense monopod and a 462 ball head for that.

Have you considered the weight of the 055XPROB. It's 2.40kg compared to 1.80kg for the 190XBPRO. Quite a difference when you are hauling it up mountains. I probably wont take mine up. I've bought a Leki Sierra fotosense monopod and a 462 ball head for that.

Im quite big and stupid :D weight is normally no probs thanx (y)

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk

hope this helps unless you know where its cheaper (y)

Nope. That's where i was checking them out in their showroom last week. I was very impressed with the gear but wanted to do a bit more research on the head before I settled on one. They were pushing the 460MG but i thought the controls were a bit small and fiddly. I also quite like the ball heads. I'm still undecided but I did leave there with a Lowepro Vertex 100aw backpack at least...

I won't need a new tripod until my next assignment in mid april, so plenty of time to decide!

Nope. That's where i was checking them out in their showroom last week. I was very impressed with the gear but wanted to do a bit more research on the head before I settled on one. They were pushing the 460MG but i thought the controls were a bit small and fiddly. I also quite like the ball heads. I'm still undecided but I did leave there with a Lowepro Vertex 100aw backpack at least...

I won't need a new tripod until my next assignment in mid april, so plenty of time to decide!

Thats what I wanted to hear, 460MG is small & fiddly ok now Im getting somewhere (y)
804RC2 for me (y)

Hi Gibbo,

I have a Giottos tripod and head with two large adjustable bits. You know the sort of thing. It is too clumsy and heavy to take anywhere.

So using advice on here I also bought the 190XProB and decided that the 322RC2 grip/head would be the way to go.

Oh my what a superb head this is. Makes a mockery in my opinion of lugging a large head around. Easy to use, just squeeze the trigger and away you go. It will fit in my bag with ease as well.

Regards

Chris

Just had news today that my 190XBPROB and 804RC2 is coming tomorrow along with my Speedlite SB600. I've waited a while but they were waiting to get stock in. Looking forward to receiving it, though I've just read the manual for SB600 on the net and I reckon it should be fun trying to learn how to use it.:clap:

great news....hope you have lots of fun using them,as i'm sure you will..(y):woot:

I just got the 055XPROB and 804RC2 head recently.... Absolutely great quality from both, very sturdy and well made. The head has a smooth even operation, I do find the attachement plate a little fiddly but I think I'll get used to it.

I do have one question which I hope somone can answer...

The 055 legs are supposed to be able to go right down to 17cm or something similar to that, but with the central post being in one piece and being 2ft long I don't see how that is possible, unless you put the central column sideways, but this really limits the angles that can be used...

I've seen that there are some short central columns available, but these don't look long enough, as the pro has the added "bulb" at the top to allow for the horizontal positioning of the central column without removing it....

That probably makes no sense whatsoever, but if anyone understands me, feel free to let me know how (if) you do it...

TIA

Bought yesterday the 055XPROB and the 486RC2. Bought it from Jacobs Digital here in Leicester. Original price for both was £187 but they pricematched Morris Photographic, so the final price was £155, not bad at all!

Don't know if you are looking for a ball & socket head, here you mention the 804RC2. I tried both. The 804RC2 was just too awkward to use, and difficult, with a long, heavy lens like the 120-300 f2.8. I would like a 3way for my other lenses and for some macro work but if you have a long tele, a ball&socket is the way to go.

Thankyou all for the info, the info on ball and socket head is giving me something to think about (322RC head)

Thanx again Brian

I just got the 055XPROB and 804RC2 head recently.... Absolutely great quality from both, very sturdy and well made. The head has a smooth even operation, I do find the attachement plate a little fiddly but I think I'll get used to it.

The 055 legs are supposed to be able to go right down to 17cm or something similar to that, but with the central post being in one piece and being 2ft long I don't see how that is possible, unless you put the central column sideways, but this really limits the angles that can be used...

I've seen that there are some short central columns available, but these don't look long enough, as the pro has the added "bulb" at the top to allow for the horizontal positioning of the central column without removing it....

That probably makes no sense whatsoever, but if anyone understands me, feel free to let me know how (if) you do it...

TIA

Do you mean one of these things??

I kind of know what your on about it's just trying to find the right product :thinking:

TIA
I don't know whether I am right, but just looking at the 190XBPRO which is very similar only lighter, I reckon that you slide the centre column out completely and the replace it upside down. The camera would then fit at the bottom of the post.
2364827142_c4e8fabfdc_o.jpg

great news....hope you have lots of fun using them,as i'm sure you will..(y):woot:

:clap:Hurray - My new toys have arrived. So far I have tried the tripod and head out and they seem fine. I've taken everything apart to see how it works, you can tell I was brought up in an engineering family!

The only problem I can see with it is that for anyone walking with it a fair distance it would be very tricky to carry with the head attached, unless you unscrewed the two handles. No problem for me as I don't intend taking it when out walking.

I've tested the speedlite to make sure it's working, but now I'm going to read the manual and find out how to use it.

Thankyou all for the info, the info on ball and socket head is giving me something to think about (322RC head)

Thanx again Brian

Hi Brian, my tripod 190XBPRO and 804RC2 head arrived today. I am very pleased with it so far. It's very easy to adjust and I find the head is quite simple to adjust also. Basically you only have to remember one lifts up, one pans round, and one adjusts the camera angle. I have a ball head for my monopod but the problem I find with it is it's not easy to pan with it, when you release the bit that tightens it, then it can move in any direction.

As I just said to stantheman, I do think that the 3 way head could be difficult to carry, due to the handles sticking out on it. These can be screwed off, but then that's just more to lose on the mountain.

Gibbo, you can get the 055XPROB and 804RC2 from Camera King for £149.95 + £7.95 delivery. This is where I got my 055PROB (older non-X model) and 804RC2 from.

I'd defiantly recommend both the legs and head, a sturdy and not too heavy combination. Easy enough to carry in the "MBAG80P" bag.

OutLore, I don't know how different the 055XPROB and the 055PROB are, but with the latter you unscrew the post at the bottom and you will get two pieces - the post and the spike with the head attached, the head part stays screwed in (using the side screw) and then you can move the legs down to the very lowest setting. Hopefully someone with with newer model can confirm.

(y)

Gibbo, you can get the 055XPROB and 804RC2 from Camera King for £149.95 + £7.95 delivery. This is where I got my 055PROB (older non-X model) and 804RC2 from.

I'd defiantly recommend both the legs and head, a sturdy and not too heavy combination. Easy enough to carry in the "MBAG80P" bag.

OutLore, I don't know how different the 055XPROB and the 055PROB are, but with the latter you unscrew the post at the bottom and you will get two pieces - the post and the spike with the head attached, the head part stays screwed in (using the side screw) and then you can move the legs down to the very lowest setting. Hopefully someone with with newer model can confirm.

(y)

I don't think the centre column is in two parts on the proB version because it isn't on my 190XBPro. I just used the new quick horizontal centre column and slid it back until my tripod head was just above the tripod, then I just splayed the legs out until they were almost flat on the ground. I was then able to turn the head into almost any position.

:clap:Hurray - My new toys have arrived. So far I have tried the tripod and head out and they seem fine. I've taken everything apart to see how it works, you can tell I was brought up in an engineering family!

The only problem I can see with it is that for anyone walking with it a fair distance it would be very tricky to carry with the head attached, unless you unscrewed the two handles. No problem for me as I don't intend taking it when out walking.

I've tested the speedlite to make sure it's working, but now I'm going to read the manual and find out how to use it.

great stuff barbara,can never have too many toys lol.i've strapped the 190 plus head into my mini trekker AW,and i don't forsee any problems carrying it,other than the weight thing...which shouldn't be a problem as i'm used to carrying a fishing box and accessories weighing up to 40lbs on occasions..:wacky:

great stuff barbara,can never have too many toys lol.i've strapped the 190 plus head into my mini trekker AW,and i don't forsee any problems carrying it,other than the weight thing...which shouldn't be a problem as i'm used to carrying a fishing box and accessories weighing up to 40lbs on occasions..:wacky:

I'm just a poor little weak thing.:bonk:

Hi Brian, my tripod 190XBPRO and 804RC2 head arrived today. I am very pleased with it so far. It's very easy to adjust and I find the head is quite simple to adjust also. Basically you only have to remember one lifts up, one pans round, and one adjusts the camera angle. I have a ball head for my monopod but the problem I find with it is it's not easy to pan with it, when you release the bit that tightens it, then it can move in any direction.

As I just said to stantheman, I do think that the 3 way head could be difficult to carry, due to the handles sticking out on it. These can be screwed off, but then that's just more to lose on the mountain.

Wow brilliant news enjoy.... :D
Id do the same play, dismantle see what it does, then find bits left over :LOL: But seriously have great fun, let me know how you get on with that flash as Im quite interested in the 600 esp at the price you paid (y)

question .... might seem a bit silly but why would you want a ball head on a mono pod ?? can it not pan on its one leg :shrug:

Stan, HWG is a weed :LOL: (only kidding)
I carry winter sac`s at 80lb+ sometimes for a day or two (no wonder me backs kna****ed) so a lill olde tripod (hopefully) isnt going to hurt :bang: :wacky:
40lb fishing box eh! you sound like my son he takes everything inc the sink when he fishes

Thankyou all once again for all the info, its still a tossup between the two heads

It is possible to remove and reverse the centre column on the Manfrotto 055XPROB by pressing in the spring loaded catch and then pushing the centre column all the way out.

Hope that helps

Peter

It is possible to remove and reverse the centre column on the Manfrotto 055XPROB by pressing in the spring loaded catch and then pushing the centre column all the way out.

Hope that helps

Peter

Yeah I did kinda figure that out but it does make it very difficult to get to the viewfinder when it's "inside" the legs of the pod!! Still, could make some really interesting angles, being that it will effectively go to ground level.

Thanks

Do you mean one of these things??

I kind of know what your on about it's just trying to find the right product :thinking:

Yep, but on the "X" model, it will need to be 3-4" longer as there is the unit on top of the tripod which allows the central column to be set horizontal without removing it... Looking at that product, it does not say that it's suitable for the 055X :(

Thanks

I don't think the centre column is in two parts on the proB version because it isn't on my 190XBPro. I just used the new quick horizontal centre column and slid it back until my tripod head was just above the tripod, then I just splayed the legs out until they were almost flat on the ground. I was then able to turn the head into almost any position.

I did try that - but when using a wide angle, the column is in the shot..

I'll take a pic tomorrow of it set up and you can see what I mean...

It's possible that I am doing something wrong of course!!!

Thanks

They were pushing the 460MG but i thought the controls were a bit small and fiddly.

I have the MG460 on a 190XPROB. The rubber knobs are around 1 inch in diameter and are sufficiently well ridged to tighten etc with wet hands.

I can't see how they would be "fiddly" for anyone with opposable thumbs and hands smaller than a dinner plate.

Wow brilliant news enjoy.... :D
Id do the same play, dismantle see what it does, then find bits left over :LOL: But seriously have great fun, let me know how you get on with that flash as Im quite interested in the 600 esp at the price you paid (y)

question .... might seem a bit silly but why would you want a ball head on a mono pod ?? can it not pan on its one leg :shrug:

Flash seems like a nice bit of equipment, I've only got as far as the get started bit, using it in program mode, but reading the manual it looks promising. The cheap price is at Digital Depot, Stuart the proprietor is DigiDepot on here.

The reason for the ball head on the monopod is that to hold the monopod steady you need to brace it at the best steadying angle. So in effect you get the best angle and then adjust the ball head appropriately.

Flash seems like a nice bit of equipment, I've only got as far as the get started bit, using it in program mode, but reading the manual it looks promising. The cheap price is at Digital Depot, Stuart the proprietor is DigiDepot on here.

The reason for the ball head on the monopod is that to hold the monopod steady you need to brace it at the best steadying angle. So in effect you get the best angle and then adjust the ball head appropriately.

AHHHH! ok I believe you HWG honest ;)

update on this thread
My wife & Brother in Law (Pokey) had set me up they have been reading this thread found out what I wanted (055XPROB and 804RC2) and bought me one. (Birthday prezzie) It arrived this afternoon with the help of DaveP who signed for it.

(Now Im sure I asked for a Nikon D3 with a 300 f2.8 lens, Im sure that was the start of the thread :naughty:) Hope they are still reading this :LOL: :D
If they are thankyou all very much, I have put it up in the middle of the front room for all to trip over :|

Back