Manfrotto which head

AHHHH! ok I believe you HWG honest ;)

update on this thread
My wife & Brother in Law (Pokey) had set me up they have been reading this thread found out what I wanted (055XPROB and 804RC2) and bought me one. (Birthday prezzie) It arrived this afternoon with the help of DaveP who signed for it.

(Now Im sure I asked for a Nikon D3 with a 300 f2.8 lens, Im sure that was the start of the thread :naughty:) Hope they are still reading this :LOL: :D
If they are thankyou all very much, I have put it up in the middle of the front room for all to trip over :|

Happy Birthday Gibbo,:clap: now tell them just how much money you could save them if they bought you the flash gun while it was on special offer. A saving of £60 I believe.:LOL:

AHHHH! ok I believe you HWG honest ;)

update on this thread
My wife & Brother in Law (Pokey) had set me up they have been reading this thread found out what I wanted (055XPROB and 804RC2) and bought me one. (Birthday prezzie) It arrived this afternoon with the help of DaveP who signed for it.

(Now Im sure I asked for a Nikon D3 with a 300 f2.8 lens, Im sure that was the start of the thread :naughty:) Hope they are still reading this :LOL: :D
If they are thankyou all very much, I have put it up in the middle of the front room for all to trip over :|

You got a picture of the bad boy at all yet?? (the tripod I mean ;)) If you have it yet what do you think of it and review it. Thanks :) Happy Birthday also...whenever it is :LOL:

i have the 055x prob, just to throw this into the mix i got the 488RC4 head which has a bigger plate than the 488RC2, both go together great, also tried the 322RC2 which is also very good.i picked up the tripod from digital depot for £99, and the 488RC4 head for £65 from morris photo HTH (y)

It is possible to remove and reverse the centre column on the Manfrotto 055XPROB by pressing in the spring loaded catch and then pushing the centre column all the way out.

Hope that helps

Peter

Yes you can (y)

Happy Birthday Gibbo,:clap: now tell them just how much money you could save them if they bought you the flash gun while it was on special offer. A saving of £60 I believe.:LOL:

:D Thankyou HWG :D
Re:the flash, your not going to like this
I think if I get enough money I`ll be buying from Kerso and Ill be saving money on what you paid :razz: :LOL:

Cherryrig no photo, all I can say is its sturdy 3 legs and its nearly a big as me (not that it helps you for size)
err (you put me on the spot here)
errr camera goes on top
errrr its rained since and Im not getting the BIG bad boy wet yet :naughty:
umm its got rubber feet so it safe.... :D wont slip :cautious:
the end :clap: phew
And thankyou

tel48 do you not find the ball head fiddly ??

No not found it fiddly at all,first time i used it was for a wedding last month and it was great very easy to use, so hopefully with more use and experience it can only get better, i also have the 322RC2 but have not really used it yet so can,t give a proper review, but just to say it,s also very sturdy and solid.

It is possible to remove and reverse the centre column on the Manfrotto 055XPROB by pressing in the spring loaded catch and then pushing the centre column all the way out.

Hope that helps

Peter

Has anyone tried this on the 190XBPRO. The centre column slides right up, and when you press the button in it looks as if it would pull right out, but there appears to be a collar which stops it coming out completely.

Has anyone tried this on the 190XBPRO. The centre column slides right up, and when you press the button in it looks as if it would pull right out, but there appears to be a collar which stops it coming out completely.

Hello HWG if the 190 is anything like the 055 then yes if you keep it pressed the centre column will leave the tripod.
Hope this helps (y)

I'm in a similar situation, thinking about a head but not sure what to get.

I've got a Jessop's ball head at the mo and I'm pretty sure I want a 3-way next as I'm sick of the ball. However, one of my housemates is a photography student and borrowed with 804RC2 from uni the other day.

The 804RC2 is huge! It's really too big for what I would want to use it for. Do you think the MG460 would be better?

Cheers

Panzer

When you get the column all the way up to the bottom of the neck of the tripod you need to press the button on the bottom of the column to bring the column into the swing-over position. Instead of swinging it over, you press the little side button at the bottom end of the column and this will allow you to lift the column clear.

You'll need to push the side button in again to get the column back in.

When you get the column all the way up to the bottom of the neck of the tripod you need to press the button on the bottom of the column to bring the column into the swing-over position. Instead of swinging it over, you press the little side button at the bottom end of the column and this will allow you to lift the column clear.

You'll need to push the side button in again to get the column back in.

Thanks for that - now I can do it.(y)

Hi, I'm also trying to choose between these two heads ('though for the 190xprob). I'm sure I read somewhere that one of them had a kind of 'release all' function whereby you can move the camera freely then flick it back into tension for fine tuning.

Does this sound familiar to any owners out there? I can't find anything about this on the Manfrotto site.

Cheers!

Hi, I'm also trying to choose between these two heads ('though for the 190xprob). I'm sure I read somewhere that one of them had a kind of 'release all' function whereby you can move the camera freely then flick it back into tension for fine tuning.

Does this sound familiar to any owners out there? I can't find anything about this on the Manfrotto site.

Cheers!

Which two heads were you trying to chose between?

Oops, not very clear was I! Between the 804RC2 and the 460MG (same as the OP).

Well on the 804RC2 you can just loosen the 3 long knobs, move it all into place and then tighten them up.

The other one, I've never tried, but I do notice it's only recommended for slr with short lens, so would it support the lens you want to use?

Its probably a bit late but anyone thinking of buying a ball and socket head should seriously consider a Novoflex MagicBall. They come in three sizes depending on your requirements, are incredibly flexible, and it is so quick and easy to attach your camera to one that you can do without a quick release system. And they look fantastic too.

I've got two and am surprised everyone doesn't use them.

Available from Speed Graphic.

Its probably a bit late but anyone thinking of buying a ball and socket head should seriously consider a Novoflex MagicBall. They come in three sizes depending on your requirements, are incredibly flexible, and it is so quick and easy to attach your camera to one that you can do without a quick release system. And they look fantastic too.

I've got two and am surprised everyone doesn't use them.

Available from Speed Graphic.

Wow - they're rather expensive!

that magic ball looks like a quality piece of kit, nice

Back