Beginner Manual focus.

I've found that live view on the lcd is easier than using the OVF, which is essentially aping the EVF on a mirrorless system.
Mirrorless cameras tend to have focus peaking, which highlight area that is in focus and moves with the focus of the lens. It makes a world of difference to the Nikon D3000/5000/ 7000 series cameras, which I was using a few years back. Fuji system has been the best for this so far, and the Olympus micro four thirds mirrorless cameras.

Practice is always key though. Hope it all pan's out for you :)

I agree with what's been said about MF lenses and DSLRs. Most of them were designed to work with film cameras which had bigger/brighter viewfinders which were often fitted with focus aids. Some cameras also had interchangeable focus screens. Apart from all that, the standard lenses were usually quite fast (f1.4 - f2.0) and had long focus throws, which made it easier.

It's worth persisting if you really want to do this though. I'm 64, my eyesight isn't what it was, and I still use my MF Nikkors with a 30D body occasionally. No particular reason, I just like them. I don't use the focus confirm light.

is there not a green dot in the bottom left hand corner of your view finder which illuminates when you have focus ?
check the manual

is there not a green dot in the bottom left hand corner of your view finder which illuminates when you have focus ?
:agree:
On the D5200 you can enable rangefinder mode (a4) which replaces the metering scale with a focus scale/indicator... only works with lenses f/5.6 or faster, and not in manual exposure mode.

Back