1. gazguildford1

gazguildford1

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    to be blunt I am really bad at using manual focus my eyes just aren’t up to it BUT as with all settings there’s a time and a place it’s needed is there any aid to help with manual focus I.e a magnifying glass for the view finder would be good lol

2. scott199

scott199

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    What camera ?
    I know Nikon do eye peices for certain, maybe all that magnify or you can buy ones tailored to your prescription.

Most I believe will use live view for critical focus, again if possible.

What camera and what are you shooting on manual.

3. gazguildford1

gazguildford1

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It’s a Nikon d3400 so very basic but it does me I just find the view finder rubbish esp when I’m comparing a landscape or focusing on something any distance away

4. Apex Photography

Apex Photography

Edit My Images:
    No
    as @scott199 says most Camera have live view. I don't know about the d3400, but most cameras let you zoom in in live view aswell which you can use to see if the image is in focus or not.

Picsta likes this.
  5. Erty

Erty

Name:
    Andrew
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Try liveview. It gets rid of the potential for a focus difference between the camera focus sensor and the actual camera sensor. You can zoom in on the plus and minus buttons on the left and scroll about using the pad on the right. The standard AF-P kit lens is nice to use on manual as it is not over sensitive. I switch back once the lens is in focus.

6. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I did try manual focus on my D3300. I also tried activating the rangefinder setting, and check focus, by looking at the focus scale. <llII 0 llll> At the bottom right, in the viewfinder. I had no luck with this method myself, I found it pretty difficult.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  7. droj

droj

Name:
    droj
    Edit My Images:
    No
    You've adjusted the eyepiece? If the range of adjustment isn't enough, you can get add-on eyepiece lenses too (Nikon DK-something) but it's not always easy to guess the power wanted.

Live view's more use on a tripod really, more than if you're working hand-held on the fly.

A dslr with a glass prism should have a brighter finder. If it was full-frame even more so. A camera with an electronic vf could show focus peaking.

8. holty

holty

Edit My Images:
    No
    nikon camera manual focus
    should be a small green light comes on bottom left hand corner in the viewfinder
    when the subject is in focus

ps read camera manual

9. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I have just been trying manual focus again ( this morning) , on my D3300 and old lenses that don't have the focus motor. I did use both the green dot, and also getting the reading on the bottom right at I0I. Taking time, I did get a bit better results, and most photos are now in focus. It is a little time consuming, plus you miss what is going on around you. But I suppose this does not apply to landscape photography, as you can take more time to set things up.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  10. RichardC27

RichardC27

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Don't know if this is the same on Nikon cameras, but if I set my Canon to One-Shot AF mode, but put the lens in manual focus mode, I still get the focus confirmation beep when I manage to manually focus on my subject.

11. Graham W

Graham W

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Does your camera support focus peaking?

12. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    My D3300 does focus peaking. So I would assume the D3400 would.

Press the +magnifying symbol, while in live view.

13. droj

droj

Name:
    droj
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Focus peaking isn't the same as magnifying live view ....

14. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Oh I see, my mistake. ;)

15. Phil V

Phil V

Name:
    Phil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    You appear to be looking for a problem to solve.

AF cameras aren’t really designed to Manually focus, if youre trying to manually focus on a distant object for Landscape photography, you’ll probably be better served using hyperfocal focussing.

If your eyes are crap, your camera is way more reliable than you.

16. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Probably why I have such a hard time using my old lenses on my D3300. It can be done, but such a time consuming pain.

Phil V likes this.
  17. Tom Pinchenzo

Tom Pinchenzo

Name:
    Tom
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If you switch to Live View when you've composed then zoom in on where you want to focus then you can really fine-tune it. But like others have said - AF will be fine 90% of the time. I only find it awkward of there isn't an AF point where I need to focus. You can even leave it zoomed for taking the photo. The added benefit of doing this is you can see if there's any motion from wind etc.

18. gazguildford1

gazguildford1

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks guys will try it out

19. russellsnr

russellsnr

Name:
    Russell
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi, Trouble with live view outside is sometimes hard to see the screen never mind if you have focus!! I bought one of these as you can attach it to the back of the camera and makes seeing the LCD a lot easier, the model on Ebay is just an example there are many more makes out there.
    eBay item number:
    Russ.
    LCD Cover.JPG

20. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    When I use my olypus digital I use focus lock.
    select the focus point keep button held down and pan the camera to select your image
    this keeps the point of focus correct?