Manual prime on a budget

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, Looking to get a manual prime for my Canon 5dc (full frame). Something along the lines of a 135mm f4 or f2.8, whatever budget allows.

It's for shooting automotive, to be more of a learning aid than a dedicated lens. Get some extra shots my current setup doesn't allow.

Quite like the idea of a prime but if a Canon 75-300 is a better investment then happy to go that way to. Unfortunately budget is 50-75 quid max. And that won't increase due to funds going elsewhere and photography only being a hobby. So cheaper the better!!!

So open to suggestions, thanks all in advance. Found this forum very helpful for advice previously.

Scott

Pentax SMC Takumar 135mm f3.5 in m42 with a suitable adapter.

Some of the Russian M42 stuff like the helios, tair, can be good if you get a good one. Do zeiss do a 135mm contax fit that will adapt within budget?
Check eBay Item number
And hope you get a bargain!

Last edited:
Olympus Zuiko 135mm f3.5 plus a £5 adapter? You can get focus confirmation adapters for just a little more and maybe that'd be the way to go as personally I don't think that using manual lenses on a Canon DSLR is the nicest experience.

Last edited:
See if you can pick up a split prism focus screen if your serious about using manual focus lenses, makes focusing dead easy.

you could probably get a 2.8, i got a pentacon one thats very sharp, but pale rendering, and a f4 russian thing thats narrow build, sharp and rich colour rendering

Thanks everyone, some very useful information there. Have put a bid on the lens mentioned by puggie, wait and see if i mange to get it.

Going to do some reading on the split prism focus screen, but after watching a video on how to change, I might leave it!

If all goes well and it works out, might make a wee manual focus lens collection.

Will update when I get a lens.

Thanks again! :)

I had the Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f3.5 in m42 mount and it was quite a nice lens. I sold it to @Steelo but i don't think he ever used it so advertised it here a few months later. I don't think it sold so maybe he would be interested in selling it of he still has it? Via the classifieds of course. ;)

I put a split prism (katzeye) into my 20d and it was fantastic for manual lenses (and noticing when the Canon af had missed). Never fitted one to my 5d but canon do a range for then and they are not that tricky to fit.

@Sko77y asDavid mentioned, I bought the Zeiss off him, and used it for a little while but realised it's not something I really used, happy to put up an advert in classified if it's something you'd be interested in. It's a fantastic lens and I had fun playing about with it, but being a landscaper who loves wide angle lenses, it just doesn't get used as it should, and it seems a waste just lying in my bag.

@Sko77y asDavid mentioned, I bought the Zeiss off him, and used it for a little while but realised it's not something I really used, happy to put up an advert in classified if it's something you'd be interested in. It's a fantastic lens and I had fun playing about with it, but being a landscaper who loves wide angle lenses, it just doesn't get used as it should, and it seems a waste just lying in my bag.
Thanks for the offer steelo, if I don't get the winning bid on eBay I'll be in touch (if I hadn't already placed a bid on of taken yours!)

Back