Many found photographs

Very interesting.

Are they yours / your families or did you buy them?

Oh, and thanks for posting Peter, I enjoyed seeing them.

The Whipsnade pictures and the two old ladies are scanned from a set of negatives which came from my father's cousin's estate. It isn't a branch of the family I know anything about really. The girls are probably distant cousins of mine.

The other scans are from two different sources. By the way, the first of the amateur dramatic pictures should actually be labelled 'Wales 1948', according to the envelope it came in.

I've several hundred more anonymous negatives to go through, hopefully there will be some gems in there along with the boring views, out-of-focus, badly exposed and shaky shots.

Very interesting set of photographs.(y)

The first one looks very ghostly.

The first one looks very ghostly.

Yes, the first shot was recovered from the world's thinnest negative. At first I didn't think there was anything on the negative but it's amazing what can be done with PS! I actually like the picture, for all its technical flaws.

FishyFish - thanks for identifying the location.

Robin Williams character Sy says something in One Hour Photo which stayed with me and I've just looked it up to get it right :D

"No one ever takes a photograph of something they want to forget. And if these pictures have anything important to say to future generations, it's this: I was here. I existed. I was young, I was happy, and someone cared enough about me in this world to take my picture."

FishyFish - thanks for identifying the location.

Judging by the point of view, the photographer was probably on the upper deck of a tour boat when the photo was taken. The flagpole in the picture is still there, but the skyline has changed somewhat.

This one is the Hoover Dam in Nevada. It was completed in 1936 so was probably fully operational at the time this was taken unless the picture pre-dates WW2.
I thought the Hoover Dam, but the picture isn't quite specific enough. However...

Well, the world has seven wonders, the travelers always tell
Some gardens and some towers, I guess you know them well
But the greatest wonder is in Uncle Sam's fair land
It's that King Columbia River and the big Grand Coulee Dam

From a collection of negatives inherited from my dad's cousin Frank Holmes.

IOM TT, year?

1684_002.jpg

1684_007.jpg

The negatives are 6x6 and the orientation of the frames suggests a camera other than a TLR. Must have been a decent camera because the negative quality is almost uniformly good, despite obvious operational defects like camera shake and the occasional bad exposure.

Race meeting, early 1960's?

This Bentley is still registered according to the DVLC.

1684_015.jpg

1684_023.jpg

Love to know what make of car this is, it's very handsome. The car on the right is a Riley RM Series. I owned one when I was a student, a 1 1/2 litre RMA, sold it for £30 when I got married after graduation.

1684_029.jpg

Back