Many found photographs

These photos are absolutely great and, as has already been said form some kind of social commentary from a time gone by.

Personally I was drawn in by the "girls at the seaside" group as one of the girls looks a lot like my mum would have looked back in '48, except she'd have been younger by maybe four years.
Growing up through the 50's I remember my parents' own camera which would have been very much point and shoot and probably 120 format. I remember a P&S with a built-in flashgun (flash bulbs) and after that a 35mm Olympus P&S. (Ma always talked about the Olympus Trip and for the life of me I don't know why she never had one.)

I love also the global nature of these images and this all seems very exotic to me.

Thank you for kindly taking the trouble to share them.

The first from box, mainly of useless stuff, labelled Holy Trinity Pageant of Queens, in fact the only useable slide. It does have a haunting lack of human presence (putting on my intellectual hat). The photographer should win an award for an incredibly powerful conceptual picture, but, of course you need a caption to set the context.

1699_001_JPEG5.jpg

I should have added this one, a multi-cultural school day?

1699_001_JPEG5.jpg

Attachments

• 1703_012_JPEG5.jpg
    1703_012_JPEG5.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Now we are on holiday in Scotland...

Eileen Donut castle, but not as you have ever seen it in the endless digital photography magazines.

1707_010_JPEG5.jpg

Glen Coe, I believe. The interest point being the wonderful Rover pulling the caravan. I worked, for a friend, at a scrap yard and helped him demolish one of these. I recovered the electric petrol pump to use as a replacement for my Riley's defective mechanical pump.

1707_014_JPEG5.jpg

But, what happens when you buy a new car, like this? Got to take a photo, init?

1704_018_JPEG5.jpg

If my research is correct, a first edition Triumph 1300 TC (front wheel drive?) Spitfire engine, no not a Merlin, top speed in excess of 95 mph.

Last edited:
Now for a foreign holiday. Tenerife no less.

1708_013_JPEG5.jpg

1708_014_JPEG5.jpg

The photographer might have been staying at a less costly apartment near the back of the complex, if the other photographs are anything to go by. If he was lucky the picture might be taken from his apartment.

Best I can do with the rather limited material. I wish I could have had access to the complete set of slides

Anyway, next time it's a load of much older negatives, maybe 50 years older..

Last edited:
Perhaps the photographer got to explore some antiquities in a far off place?

View attachment 360366

Looks like the Temple of Apollo at Corinth, although I think your slide may be flipped

Thanks for the information.

There were slides shot on Kodachrome, Agfacolor, Agfachrome and Boots slide film. I intended to scan them all emulsion side up and it's easy to tell which side is which with the Kodachrome but not so easy with the others, particularly the Boots film. So it's quite likely flipped. I've looked on the internet and it seems that Agfacolor slide film used a different, older processing method as opposed to Agfachrome which was E6 compatible.

Thanks for all your work putting these on, would somewhere like sir=te below be suitable to save/share them?

Burma Pavillion, Wembley, circa 1925

1718_042_JPEG5.jpg

Built for the 1924 British Empire Exhibition and subsequently taken over by Schweppes.

Here is a detail showing a woman holding a large stuffed toy. There is a camera on a tripod as well. Reckon the woman might be a professional photographer waiting for someone to photograph holding the toy?

Untitled-1_JPEG5.jpg

Now for some light entertainment.

Acrobat

1718_015_JPEG5.jpg

Women on stage. You can just make out some shadowy detail in the orchestra pit.

1718_010_JPEG5.jpg

Handshake. The elegant man in the tails must be the orchestra leader surely. He reminds me of Henry Hall, but then every white band leader in the 20's looked like this.

1718_009_JPEG5.jpg

Postcard size negatives, 5" x 3 1/2", probably Kodak since they were in a Kodak album.

Afghanistan, possibly Third Afghan War.

View attachment 361913

View attachment 361914
That first one reminded me of a post I made on here from many years ago. My maternal grandfather fought in the 3rd Afghan War, and my sister has an album of photos by a photographer call Holmes, which we were wondering about digitising. I took a couple of handheld shots with my little Fuji X10, example in this post:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/scanner-a3-for-old-albums-of-prints.553779/post-6481536

Thanks for that. I can maybe get my sister to check out the soldier. In your case there is no question about which war is the focus of the pictures, there is still a bit of debate between my sister and I as to the origin of my negatives.

I'm sure that I have come across an A3 photocopier which could export a .pdf file. My friend's church has one i think I could ask.

By the way, your photographs look excellent.

I'm currently scanning a load of 1967/1968 negatives which seem to originate from the USA. Quite a lot of year book/proms photos. Professionally done, I'm sure. Taken on Kodak, 6x6, 120 safety film, could it be Tri-X perhaps? I'll post some soon. The batch includes all the 'out takes', which in itself is very interesting.

Last edited:
Just received a negative album containing 139 films, that equates to about 3300 negatives if the films are only 24 exposure. There are a few 36 shot films and some half frame films so perhaps 3500 negatives? Not much more information with the folder although a couple of pages have intriguing labels, for example 'Leningrad'. I think I will start scanning today, the negatives look as if they are in great condition.

m.jpg

m+.jpg

Below screen shot of options using auto setting below in adobe elements

Screenshot (42).png

So easy to do with adobe elements 2020 in the colourise

Last edited:
Thanks, but poor old Frank is looking a bit grey, perhaps he wasn't well? The colour corrections of the house and interior are completely convincing.

walk through I have this edition of adobe

Adobe elements 2020- Photo editor- expert (tag along the top)-Enhance- colourise photo -and then either use auto or manual, it is that easy

Last edited:
Just completed a big collection of Americana, so here goes. A couple of hundred 2 1/4 black and white negatives, gotta be Tri-X I think. Taken by a very competent hack photographer.

Promoting the Power Reading method.
1725_132.jpg

A guest speaker. WHo?
1725_141.jpg

A lesson in hexadecimal arithmetic.
1725_017.jpg

Of course, I have no idea how these images fit together but here the girls are, together. I would say, based on some other photos, that this is a rehearsal and the set hasn't been assembled yet. Note the missing luminaries in the front rows.

1725_069.jpg

Back