Many found photographs

This set was spotted manually from flatbed scans. It's a painful process which I spent thousands of hours doing.

Then, this afternoon, I tried the Photoshop beta neural filter and I think, from the point of view of spotting it might be transformative!

I'll put a comparison up soon.

This is interesting Peter. I have the Photoshop Beta, but didn't know there was someting in there for spotting photos. I might have a look at that later - are there any instructions anywhere before I bumble and curse my way through the process using trial and error? :)

Filter -> Neural Filters, the latest Beta filter, at the bottom of the list. This appeared in my non-beta copy of PS as if by magic.

I'm still experimenting with it. The controls are limited but when it goes into production it might be very useful.

Capture copy.jpg

By the way, I do most of my spotting by selection then using content aware fill as in this shortcut.

1691484470369.png

I find I only rarely need to use Healing Brush, Spot Healing Brush or Clone Stamp .

A few years ago I reconstructed one of my mum's albums which was falling apart, first I scanned the bad album. I moved the pictures to a new album (with the type written captions) but lately I've been asked for some pictures extracted from the album pages. Here are a few, I rescanned them although I'm pretty sure I have been though the same process before.

For me this is the outstanding picture, a group of teenage mill workers (note the clogs). my grandmother second from right.

LilyWalmesley_3ndFromRight.jpg

Now my aunties...

AnnieAndElizabeth.jpg

And my grandmother...

LilyWalmesley.jpg

Wow! How fantastic to have such a rich family history.

That is a fantastic set, Peter. Much better than most old portraits I see.

Loving these, great to have a record of family from days gone by.
I really worry that so much social history will lost, I can’t imagine there will be shoeboxes full of hard drives like there are of old prints and negatives.

I was with my wife's cousin's husband this weekend and he prevented his mother from throwing away all the family photographs and documents (like birth, marriage and death certificates) she had inherited, and kept them, so, we agreed that next time I visit we will go through the small suitcase of photographs and documents and I will scan them.

By the way, his surname is Verlander, so he might be Huguenot in origin.

Yes, like so many. I often wonder about what happened to the fittings, the memorials and stained glass windows. And the font?

Now for an excursion to Norway...

On the right a Ford Prefect, behind it a pre-war Riley, to the left?. The Ford would place this post-war I think.

This might be Bergen as the good ship Venus ship was registered there.

2023-09-31.JPG

An excursion into the interior. These old vehicles might be serving as taxis?

2023-09-41.JPG

On the right a Ford Prefect, behind it a pre-war Riley, to the left?. The Ford would place this post-war I think.

View attachment 412893

View attachment 412894

The Venus had an interesting history during her long life. She was built to sail the Newcastle route, was involved in two rescue missions and was even sunk by an allied plane during the war! I used to see her regularly arriving or departing from the Tyne.

Last edited:

View attachment 412893

View attachment 412894

The number plate arrangement in the first looks different to the second, and to my eyes looks British. According to TheOldun's article the good ship Venus travelled back and forth between Bergen and Newcastle. Could the scene be Newcastle? I do see that there is a car being loaded/unloaded, so I could be barking up the wrong tree.

I think it is Newcastle as I have seen a similar photo featuring either Venus or Leda with a car being loaded the same way.

I agree and it would be nice to reunite them with their pictures.

This is a difficult subject in a way. Should I be publishing these, more recent, pictures at all? But, for whatever reason, the pictures have been abandoned and I'm just preserving them.

This should be a separate thread about the ethics of collecting and publishing photographic images of people who might still be alive, without their knowledge. How do image banks like Getty handle this issue?

This is a difficult subject in a way. Should I be publishing these, more recent, pictures at all? But, for whatever reason, the pictures have been abandoned and I'm just preserving them.

This should be a separate thread about the ethics of collecting and publishing photographic images of people who might still be alive, without their knowledge. How do image banks like Getty handle this issue?
You could do an image search using the images - you might find other photos of them but with their name.

I think your ethics are sound. A while ago, a chap I follow on Flickr acquired a box of about 20 x 35mm negatives from an antique shop. He started scanning them and posting results on his Flickr. It was obvious that the photos were from the 30s and 40s and through his viewers, first the locations were identified and then the family featured in the shots. Through record searches, the viewers found out the members of the family had all passed, but we learned all about the careers of the father and the daughter. The daughter had never married and the antique shop was near her final address, so were probably in the shop due to a house clearance after she died. It was fascinating and I like to think it perpetuated the memory of an unassuming and ordinary family. Attempts were made to find surviving relatives and friends but it wasn't successful.

I think your ethics are sound. A while ago, a chap I follow on Flickr acquired a box of about 20 x 35mm negatives from an antique shop. He started scanning them and posting results on his Flickr. It was obvious that the photos were from the 30s and 40s and through his viewers, first the locations were identified and then the family featured in the shots. Through record searches, the viewers found out the members of the family had all passed, but we learned all about the careers of the father and the daughter. The daughter had never married and the antique shop was near her final address, so were probably in the shop due to a house clearance after she died. It was fascinating and I like to think it perpetuated the memory of an unassuming and ordinary family. Attempts were made to find surviving relatives and friends but it wasn't successful.
I have managed to track down a few families over time and tell them what I found and ask them if they want the original images or I can send them scans of the negatives. I explain I have posted a couple of sample images to see if anyone can help identify an area when it isn't clear. No one minded and they were grateful for the contact.

I love looking at old photographs and after my mother passed away in 1999 I was clearing out he house and came across about 200 old photographs including one which must be at least 130 years old. It is a picture of a farmer who looks to be quite elderly, on top of a haystack with a younger man feeding him stooks of hay and an even younger boy at the top with the older man the other one with piles of hay bigger than himself. There are names on the back of the picture which is now faded sepia, and mounted on card which show pictures of my grandfather, my great Grandfather and my Great Great Grandfather! They were on a farm which I believe to be in a village in North Northumberland where Great Great Grandad was a Tennant farmer.I have found his grave but not his son. but I know Grandad was cremated in West Newcastle so no grave will exist.

Last edited:
The old photograph talked about in my post 81 above. The picture is a lot lighter than the original with the colours a bit exaggerated by scanning even PS could not get it as close to the original as a comparison

Attachments

• Lyham Farm Chatton.jpg
    Lyham Farm Chatton.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for posting a scan of your connected photograph. Its a terrific rural scene which reminds me of songs by the folk revivalists, the Watersons, for example.

The question might be, how are you going to preserve it and make sure it gets passed on to future generations? The image looks quite fragile.

I first discovered via the pile of photographs left by my mother the extent of my family. I found a huge branch in the USA from my Dad's side and from my mothers side two of my grandfathers brothers went to Australia in the 1920's. Unfortunately there was nothing written down. I knew the basics and with a lot of late nights and help from Ancestry.com. I put together the membership of the family on both sides with my Great, Great, Grandfather being to oldest certifiable date born in the early 1800s but so much more is waiting to be found. In the meantime I wrote down the full history as I know it and made copies of all the pictures which were amalgamated in an album each for my 4 Grandchildren so they have a head start should they want to dig deeper.

The picture of the 3 on the haystack is not in good condition and stuck to a bit of card does not help and I don't know what else to do but, it lives in a archival acid free paper envelope which is probably the best way of preserving it. But at least now there are copies.

The moral of the story is:- While your parents/grandparents are still alive ask as many questions as you can. Once they are gone there is no way of finding out.

Last edited:
Can't agree more. I'm glad you are able to preserve this photograph.

Yesterday I went to a meeting at the Bolton Museum archive as I'm going to register as an archive volunteer. It's an amazing collection, as you might imagine.

If I'm lucky I might be able to photograph some things from the fabric collection and, possibly, some of the collection of Egyptian mummies, depending on their priorities. In quiet a few instances the museum doesn't have a simple, photographic photographic catalogue record of every item.

By the way they have lots and lots of magic lantern slides, glass plates and even daguerreotypes. Might get a look at some in time.

Strangely, the museum holds the records of a former employer of mine. I worked for them between 1968 and 1979 so my pay records are a matter of fact in a museum!

Peter Spencer's picture of the ship 'Venus' ( three pictures above this post) is almost certainly alongside the quayside at the Commissioners Quay on the River Tyne. - not in Norway. I know the small bit of the skyline behind very well, which is of South Shields before the demolition and rebuilding in the 60's and 70's The quay was in North Shields and linked to Newcastle by a rail spur off the North Tyneside electrified line.

The vessel sailed between England and Norway. Foot passengers arrived by train hence the rails alongside the ship, but cars were driven onto the quayside and lifted onto the vessel and travelled in the cargo hold. The nearest crane has the sling used to lift the cars onto the ship I wonder how many were damaged in bad weather? The bow section cannot have been the most stable part of the vessel in bad weather!

Venus had a smaller sister ship called the 'Leda' which together were known colloquially as the 'Vomiting Venus' and the 'Leaping Leda'. because neither vessels had stabilisers fitted to help the ship in rough weather. You will understand why because the North Sea can be very rough! I had been told by a family friend who was at the time a River Pilot on the Tyne that MV Venus previously had been the Royal Yacht for the Norwegian Royal family following the accession to the Throne pre war. He (the King) was actually Danish, but invited to take up the appointment. The vessel almost certainly had a different name from Venus. Apparently it had been sunk whether as a result of action in the war or deliberately sunk to stop it falling into the hands of the German occupiers I am not sure.

It was however raised and recommissioned and assumed the Black and White livery. As far as I am aware it was still in service in the early 1960's when I left home.

Last edited:
Thanks for details about 'Venus'. I've printed them off and stuck them in my found photograph album next to the picture of the ship.

I found some more out which is a bit confusing. There were two shipping lines travelling from the Tyne to Norway one to Bergen and the other to Olso at the time, and they appeared at some time to amalgamate. The Bergen route was the Fred Olsen line but I cannot be definite about the one to Oslo. It seems at one time Venus swapped names with one of the from the other line called Braemar. This may have been after Venus was scrapped, because she was a very old vessel built before the war. I remember the other line also leaving the Tyne under it's previous name. It looked completely different with a beige/yellow coloured, slimline, swept back funnel and was a more modern design over all. This vessel lasted until the late 1970's ish
There was also another ship in black and white which I saw in the Tyne called 'Jupiter'. It was quite a bit smaller but had the characteristic 3 white lines around the funnel similar to the other Vessels.
Again not 100% sure but this line may have been swallowed up by DFDS

Last edited:
Following on from the early photograph of my fathers family going back to the late 1800's here is another side of the family,

Mathew William Hall, Born in South Shields but moved to Cullercoats with his mother, father and 2 brothers and one sister. he became an apprentice painter and decorator, but left home to go to sea aged 15. He served in the Royal Navy on Hospital Ships for part of the 1914/18 war and sometime later transferred to the fledgling Submarine Service. He joined as a rating but left as Commissioned Officer. He went back to the Merchant navy and eventually took his Captains Ticket in the early 1920's

The 2nd photograph is of the SS Newminster belonging to the Tyne Tees Steam Shipping Company who's offices were on the quayside in Newcastle There is still a notice board on the side of the building stating this. Its captain at the time was Captain Mathew William Hall. My Grandfather, on my mothers side Born in 1884 and sadly died in 1930 when his ship was anchored in thick fog 5 miles off the coast of Durham opposite Seaham harbour. The ship that hit his, was a Norwegian Naptha tanker travelling at speed when it to should have been hove-to and anchored. (Before the days of Radar) His ship at the time was the SS Gateshead which sank quickly (within 7 minutes according to survivors) taking Capt Hall and 5 others with him. His body was recovered some 6 months later off Flamborough head and was only identified by his Uniform and a set of matching cufflinks and tie-pin he had been given as a present by his wife for Christmas 4 days before his death. He is buried in the village churchyard in Reighton just south of Filey, in East Yorkshire

The 1st picture is of my Grandfather around 1928 after going to Rotterdam to receive a presentation for rescuing 5 or 6 people from a stricken Dutch sailing vessel that had run aground on rocks in the North Sea. His rescue method was innovative, and had not been used before, where he placed his ship (name of this one unknown) between the wind and the other vessel and poured oil on the water which had the effect of calming it. Then released one of his ships lifeboats into the sea, but still tied to his ship and allowed the wind to take the lifeboat towards the rocks and save the sailors. This method was adopted as part of the Captains 'Ticket' or examination for that qualification, and remained as part of the exam for many years, even after the war. On the back of the photograph is written his name and the address of the photographer.
J.K.F Koelinga, Persefctograaf, of Sophiakade 60, Rotterdam with a telephone number 4432. That address still exists! (I don't know about the number though!). ( Persefctograaf is translated from the Dutch as as Press Photographer)

I never met him obviously, but what a man to live up to.

Attachments

• Captain Mathew William Hall  in 1928.jpg
    Captain Mathew William Hall in 1928.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 9
  • SS Newminster Early 1920's.jpg
    SS Newminster Early 1920's.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I first discovered via the pile of photographs left by my mother the extent of my family. I found a huge branch in the USA from my Dad's side and from my mothers side two of my grandfathers brothers went to Australia in the 1920's. Unfortunately there was nothing written down. I knew the basics and with a lot of late nights and help from Ancestry.com. I put together the membership of the family on both sides with my Great, Great, Grandfather being to oldest certifiable date born in the early 1800s but so much more is waiting to be found. In the meantime I wrote down the full history as I know it and made copies of all the pictures which were amalgamated in an album each for my 4 Grandchildren so they have a head start should they want to dig deeper.

The picture of the 3 on the haystack is not in good condition and stuck to a bit of card does not help and I don't know what else to do but, it lives in a archival acid free paper envelope which is probably the best way of preserving it. But at least now there are copies.

The moral of the story is:- While your parents/grandparents are still alive ask as many questions as you can. Once they are gone there is no way of finding out.

The new(ish) Neural filters in Photoshop (as posted above) are pretty good at correcting damaged pics.

I had a play the other day when scanning some shots of my mother-in-law as a child. you just have to be careful as if you push them too far, the faces can look unreal. By which I mean too sharp to be believable for the time and also in comparison to the rest of the photo.

I'm fascinated by these previously undiscovered (and sometimes unremarkable) shots. They hold way more interest for me than the celebrated photographers' work because they very often focus on the ordinary.

The new(ish) Neural filters in Photoshop (as posted above) are pretty good at correcting damaged pics.

I had a play the other day when scanning some shots of my mother-in-law as a child. you just have to be careful as if you push them too far, the faces can look unreal. By which I mean too sharp to be believable for the time and also in comparison to the rest of the photo.

I'm fascinated by these previously undiscovered (and sometimes unremarkable) shots. They hold way more interest for me than the celebrated photographers' work because they very often focus on the ordinary.
These pictures are part of my history and don't want to change them because they show the age. Anything done to them is artificial and false. I have copied them onto B&W film and they will stay with the remainder just to get old together. They will no doubt outlast me. I have another which I know was taken in 1924 after my Grandfather- the ships captain mentioned before was presented with an engraved silver cup by the then Prince of wales but someone has used a pair of scissors and cut out the P.o.W and all you can see is his hand shaking Grandfather Halls hand. I have no idea who did this act of vandalism but because of that I don't have the Princes face to show who it was making the presentation.

Back