Undecided Map of deer locations in the UK

Every time I try to open the link on my iPod it crashes, so I can't see what you have already. Have you got Eastnor Deer Park at Eastnor Castle near Ledbury in Herefordshire?

That 2nd shots a cracker Dave

Steve

If we are doing example photos from deer parks, here are a couple of recent ones from Eastnor. And yes, that second shot above is great!

Cheers guys, love the first Dunham Massey fallow shot. I already had Dunham Massey, Eastnor, and Petworth on the map. Added Isle of Arran, so cheers for that Dave. Keep 'em coming!

National Trust Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Nr Ripon

p1891154484-4.jpg

They have Red,Fallow and Sika

Bushy Park in Teddington, lots of the buggers there, and Richmond Park.

Normanby Park - Scunthorpe. Small in area but guaranteed to get close, they swim in the pond in the warmer months which would have been fantastic had I not been fishing at the time. Red and Fallow Deer

1185909_10151708674113667_900313108_n.jpg
in my Garden.. the buggers never leave us alone.. i was sat on my sofa

Last edited:
Quendon Hall in Essex just in the village of Quendon. It specifies deer park on your map. on the B1383 between Bishop's Stortford and Saffron Walden.

Dereham park near bath? You can get close to the deer there if you are careful

146717319.jpg

Areas where I've seen plenty of deer include the Isle of Jura, with around 200 people and an estimated 7,000 deer, they're more difficult to photograph than either those at Lochranza (which you're already aware of) or on Rannoch Moor at the Kingshouse Hotel (on the A82) a few miles south of the village of Glencoe, where, like Lochranza, they have no problem approaching humans..
There's also a fairly small deer population on the Isle of Rum (around 250 - 400) http://rumdeer.biology.ed.ac.uk/population-ecology

Powis Castle, Welshpool - National Trust property.

This is a fantastic resource.
It's something that I have always wanted to try, but never known where to go.
Slightly on a tangent, but only needs a quick answer so no need for a new thread, but what is the minimum focal length can you get away with for capturing deer in their natural surroundings?

My favourite deer location is Calke Abbey in the village of Ticknall in South Derbyshire. It's an NT property with a captive herd of Red deer and Fallow deer in a large deer park. Generally you can only walk the (extensive) perimeter path, but there are occasional deer park walks with the warden (see the website) so you can get into the inside. Well worth a visit, and like many well visited NT properties is has excellent visitor facilities, lakes and bird hides, walks, lovely gardens etc. Plenty to keep any photographer happy for hours, or to entertain wife and kids while you grab some camera time snapping the deer. I'll try to post some pics I took recently ... watch this space ...

ETA - hope this works ...
RedStag11of1_zps6dea1e64.jpg

Last edited:
For wild reds and roes in Scotland, if you draw a line along The Highland Fault (approx Dumbarton to Stonehaven), anywhere north of that line and the world is your oyster, if you get into the countryside a bit. Down to the roadside in mid-winter.

Now, the good fowk o' Gallowa' will be after me for saying that. :help:

Powderham Castle near Starcross in Devon. You can`t walk amongst them but you can normally get some decent photos from the road beside the railway line.
Edited to add. There are only Fallow Deer at this location.

Last edited:
Not on the map:

Burghley Park, Stamford
Alconbury House, Rusts Lane, Alconbury nr Huntingdon

Steve

Couple from #1 on the map, Bushy Park (deer here are very good, quite placid and tolerant in general).

7827398680_4e314da208_b.jpg

7827397404_a0aa02e574_b.jpg

Back