Daily Marcus's 365 Challenge

Day 13: "Street Art"

I know this won't be everyones cup of tea but I've developed a real liking of late for street art. Managed to find this one today by a local artist to Teesside called Karl Striker.. very much Banksy inspired but its nice to see it coming from a local artist (y)

Street Art by XFile2708, on Flickr

There's some superb street art in that link Jake - I love that sort of art but really getting a liking to this stenciled style as well :)

I also love the stencil work. Are you on instagram? If so, follow banksyny, he's doing a month of art in NYC, first time going on social networking too.
Being 30 minutes from his hometown, stencil work has a nice appeal to me !

I've heard of instagram but never looked into it -is it another social networking thing like Facecrack and Twitter? :LOL:

I think I could probably do with a light box, but as my bounce the flash off the ceiling seems to work perhaps I won't bother :D

Love the banksyesque artwork

I also love the stencil work. Are you on instagram? If so, follow banksyny, he's doing a month of art in NYC, first time going on social networking too.
Being 30 minutes from his hometown, stencil work has a nice appeal to me !

Signed up now matey - can't believe he'd set a stall up yesterday and was selling original pieces for just $60.. :eek:

I think I could probably do with a light box, but as my bounce the flash off the ceiling seems to work perhaps I won't bother :D

Love the banksyesque artwork

No excuse Sarah - this takes no more than an hour to make and is a great option for all those still life pics (y)

It is indeed, it's all photos though. Give it a download.

Done - just got to work out how to use it now :LOL:

Day 14: "Facing my fears"

Only half happy with todays image - im finding limitations already with my 30mm macro lens so this image had to be took using my regular 18-55 kit lens.

Its not to bad a shot but I know it could have been a lot better if I had something like the 70-300mm Macro DG Lens which would have focussed a lot closer without me having to almost be touching the spider with my lens.. :LOL:

Facing my fears by XFile2708, on Flickr

Looks like that expression is honed from a life of trying to be a misery :) I'm still trying to get my shot of today, all set up in the conservatory, but it's too bright!!!

Make the most of it Sarah - where we are come 1530-1600 its getting dark already.. lol

Day 18: "Memories Montage"

Another one I'm not sure im happy with - was sorting through a few of my memory boxes from over the years and put together a small selection inspired by one of the images TimmyG did for his 365 challenge...

As I've got a few boxes of stuff it was a nightmare just selecting a few items so not to over clutter and I also couldn't seem to get the layouts exactly how I wanted them.. my OCD said everything should be straight but I know that would have made for an even worse shot :LOL:

Memories Montage by XFile2708, on Flickr

Looks very blue pal!
Now onto more important matters, I hope you attended that match as an away fan..

I auto adjusted the colours in Photoshop so it should be pretty close to what it should be.. the Parachute card and the Bombjack cover are actually blue as opposed to white anyway.. :thinking:

The driving test card and the alternate stripes on the school tie are white so im not sure if its massively out? maybe its just my aging eyes.. lol

As for the footie ticket - nope that was a home match for me - supported them since the late 80s - so seen the odd good time but considerably more bad times :LOL:

Last edited:
Movember is cool and something i'm considering doing this year.............Won't mention football lol ..............but you must be getting on a bit if you can remember the good times for Leeds United

I'm not that mean haha! It was a lot more lively round here at the start of the year!

fingers crossed matey :LOL:

Movember is cool and something i'm considering doing this year.............Won't mention football lol ..............but you must be getting on a bit if you can remember the good times for Leeds United

Not that old you cheeky bugger - by good times I mean promotion from the old Division 2 in the late 80s and the Division 1 winners 91-92... I only know of the golden era of the 60s from reading books and watching videos etc :LOL:

"Day 3: "Macro - Spider"

This shot was taken using my 30mm Macro Lens - I've really struggled getting any decent insect close-ups since I got the lens - but saw this fresh web in the front garden this morning and the position made it a lot easier to get good lighting and in fairly close (despite the winds efforts to blur all my shots lol) :)

Macro - Spider by XFile2708, on Flickr

Nice and sharp with a great BG- never used a 30mm macro myself-I much prefer the added range of my Sigma 105mm

good start though fella

Les (y)

Day 18: "Memories Montage"

Another one I'm not sure im happy with - was sorting through a few of my memory boxes from over the years and put together a small selection inspired by one of the images TimmyG did for his 365 challenge...

As I've got a few boxes of stuff it was a nightmare just selecting a few items so not to over clutter and I also couldn't seem to get the layouts exactly how I wanted them.. my OCD said everything should be straight but I know that would have made for an even worse shot :LOL:

Memories Montage by XFile2708, on Flickr

It does have a blue cast- I suspect the lighting is the main issue here buddy

I adjusted the temp in CS 5 and it looks a lot better with a warmer temp

Les (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice and sharp with a great BG- never used a 30mm macro myself-I much prefer the added range of my Sigma 105mm

good start though fella

Les (y)

Thanks matey - im finding it good for certain situations but very limited in other.. top of my lens list next is the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 Macro DG - so fingers crossed I won't find this one so restrictive (y)

It does have a blue cast- I suspect the lighting is the main issue here buddy

I adjusted the temp in CS 5 and it looks a lot better with a warmer temp

Les (y)

Yes this was a different environment to where I normally shoot - so if I'd have thought about it I'd have resampled the White Balance before shooting.. Definately something I'll have to make a mental note of for next time :)

Nice idea- I think however a much lower POV would have added more imact to this shot & a boost to the contast too maybe?

Les (y)

Agreed matey - I think this is down to me being nervous with the tripod and either shooting at the lowest level or shooting at the next fixed level rather than trying something inbetween and making sure all is level using the spirit level inside the tripod..

Last edited:
all a learning curve and I prefer my 70-200mm f2.8 for most things these day- along with the sigma 150-500mm for longer range stuff and Ive just bought a 16-80mm for a walk about lens- all the gear NO IDEA thats me :LOL::LOL:

Keep at it - you'll get there

Les (y)

Back