Marks on negatives - What might be the cause?

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
A few weeks back, after a trip to the Humber Bridge, I noticed some odd marks on some of the negatives from my Yashica Mat 124 G. They only appeared on a few frames of the Acros 100 I shot, and didn't appear at all on the two rolls of FP4 I shot (one before and one after the Acros), The marks were pretty much identical on all the frames where they appeared.

I've shot a few more rolls since then with no issues, but then on Sunday, I shot two rolls of Tri-X. The first roll was fine, the second had similar (but not identical) marks to the Acros on a few frames. This second roll of Tri-X also jammed in the camera, necessitating me removing it in the dark when I got home.

I'm edging towards some sort of debris in the camera (the marks look to have small fibres, as though they're bits of torn paper or something), but would appreciate any thoughts on the cause and solution (even though it doesn't seem to be a continual problem). Some examples below, with the marks in question at top-right of the frames.

Thanks in advance. :)

negative_problem.jpg
negative_problem-2.jpg

Looks like a mini fur-ball to me, sort of felted up dust or a stray bit of light-seal felt type thing? Perhaps have a good look inside the camera film chamber, behind the pressure plate, light baffles, etc. and use the rocket blower and see if it's still lurking in there somewhere?

Last edited:
I'm thinking it must be near the film for it to look so defined. If it were in front of the lens, or directly behind the lens, I'd imagine it would be out of focus.

Looks like a mini fur-ball to me, sort of felted up dust or a stray bit of light-seal felt type thing? Perhaps have a good look inside the camera film chamber, behind the pressure plate, light baffles, etc. and use the rocket blower and see if it's still lurking in there somewhere?

Thanks my striped mammalian chum. You are correct - one blow from the blower and it revealed itself (hiding in plain sight just next to the inside of the lens). It was about 5mm long!

Here's the (out of focus) culprit... :D

20170928_121126.jpg

Last edited:
Now THAT is what you call a dust-bunny!

Looks more like half a squirrel to me! ;) Animal or vegetable, I'm glad you managed to catch the blighter and evict it. :D

Last edited:
Could have just left the back open and baited it out, gotta love these big old mechanical lumps.

Back