Marsh Fritillary & Dingy Skipper

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
Not able to do much at the moment due to ongoing treatment at hospital, but last week could not resist the challenge when we heard that the Marsh Fritiltaries and Dingy Skippers had been seen locally. Was very surprised that they were there as it has been so cold and very few other butterflies have been seen consistently.

1. Marsh Fritillary
18273-1495972808-d06b887aff4a91138f976ba5b5ac1edc.jpg

2. Marsh Fritillary (second visit)
18271-1495972740-85cf20b64a119ba7f618e05bfeacb347.jpg

3. Dingy Skipper
18272-1495972779-23548d5dfbfdcee36d84822931d52526.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me that these two very different looking species appear always at about the same time in the same place. The Marsh Fritillary is one of our most colourful butterflies, while the "Dingy Skipper" really does live up to its name. The place where the images were taken is Scrubbs Meadow at Chambers Farm Wood near Wragby in Lincolnshire.

Despite the effort, which was very tiring, I felt that it was worthwile - hope you agree.

Well worth the effort and some cracking shots, look forward to seeing more like these from you.

Really nice I've only seen marsh fritillaries once

Thank you for your kind comments, much appreciated.

Its only a short drive from home, but then there is about a ½ mile walk to the meadow. This is very tiring at the moment as a result of the treatment regime at the hospital which will go on for about 3 more months. Hate missing them if they appear each year, especially the Marsh Fritillaries, as we don't get too many colourful butterflies around here. My favourites, Orange Tips, have not been very plentiful so far - cannot say as I blame them as the weather, apart from last week has been quite cold.

For information, all pictures were taken with a Canon EOS5D MkIII and a Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD[IF] MACRO, using a lightweight Hama Star 78 monopod. The system is not weighty overal but, at the moment, I find that the monopod does give me added stability.

Last edited:
Nice work.

Great photos. I love going to Chambers Woods, always something to see. Have you done any good with the hairstreaks.

Thanks for the positive comments. Most of the hairstreaks are down by "Five Ways", I believe. Not been down there this year, as its quite a walk and, healthwise, I would find it very tiring right now. The certainty of the Marsh Fritillaries tempted me to go the other direction, but with the hairstreaks you never know if they will come down from the trees! Maybe later in the year as my health, hopefully, improves.

Back