Martin Parr - Foundation and Gallery opened in Bristol

Name
Jay
Edit My Images
Yes
Permanent gallery now open in the Paintworks area of central Bristol. It is rumoured the Royal Photographic Society RPS is also moving next door to him.

http://www.martinparrfoundation.org

The gallery is free to the public, is a nice large space in a pleasant area. Other photographers will also be exhibiting there and giving talks. There is also a book selling area.

Its really nice that he has set this up, is promoting UK photography and very decent of him that he is opening to the public for free - even the local museum now charges substantial amounts for entry to Wildlife Photographer of the Year (for ages it was free or very low cost, but no more) so hats off to Martin for making art accessible to all.

Last edited:
Developing an accessible archive of photobooks and so forth too. Just a shame it's not further north...

Just a shame it's not further north...

The exhibition on at the moment is about the Black Country.

I am hugely glad there is some sort of meaningful gallery that has opened anywhere other than London. I would like to see a lot more major museums, exhibitions and galleries in the middle of the country so more people can travel to see them. I would like to see a lot more touring exhibitions of museum contents and art as well. Although I am in the South West I get really annoyed about so much being based in London, must be so much worse for people even further from it.

Back