Week 16 - Paradox
Week 17 - Tropical
Week 18 - Power
Week 19 - Divided
Week 20 - Promise Promise Take 2

ACCOMODATION

IMG_0075 by martinchargreaves, on Flickr

NEW

This sculpture in Bradford called Fibres was commissioned to symbolise the REGENERATION of the former railway site. It has metal rails shooting up into stone

IMG_0252 by martinchargreaves, on Flickr

STYLE

Stuck for inspiration I consulted the dictionary, like I imagine others did, apparently theStyle is the straight blade edge along the top of the Gnomon of a sundial. New one on me.

style by martinchargreaves, on Flickr

There you have it. Catch-up done in an afternoon.
I promise more effort and quality with more time to play with.

Last edited:
ooh, i like the sculpture,
squirrel looks a tad soft, looks like it focussed on the rock instead... which is the accommodation, i suppose!

And the sundial, it's a really nice shot, i like the angles, but it's such a shame the very top of the gnomon is missing, it's less then an inch, but it would have been better with it on
otherwise, I like it.

Lookingforward to seeing the other 49!

Hiya
fairly new here myself so welcome :)

That sculpture is just great,very unusual shape but sort of echos the shape of a tree .Really like it but maybe,just maybe cropped a little tight at the top as can't make out the top of the sculpture ?
The squirrel ,as said before, looks a little coft with the focus seemingly the rock or green tuft ?
The sundial is beautiful,great angle but a shame the tip is missing.

Great start to your 52 though,roll on the next 49 (y)

Hello and welcome, pretty new myself here too :)

I particularly like the sundial shot and as mentioned it is just a shame that the tip of it was missed off but i really like the angle it was pictured at, it makes it that little bit more interesting :)

Welcome to TP. I like the shots but agree with the other comments about the cropping etc. Good luck with the rest of your challenge.

Thank-you all for your C&Cs. I appreciate the deadline has passed for the Style challenge. However I am wanting to learn and act on what I am advised so here is my Style pic in a different composition. I wont count it towards my challenge though.

style1 by martinchargreaves, on Flickr

Looking good, what I would say, is it's now the whole sundial, if it were cropped to just the gnomon (Love that word!!), i.e. the same as the first one but with the end on, it would be more what I was thinking of when I commented, Don't get me wrong, it's a good shot, and great that you've done a re-shoot based on the comments, and it's a definite improvement, just a little bit of a crop would really improve it, imho:)

(btw, as far as I'm concerned, week starts Monday;))

Last edited:
oh no someone else did a sundial for Style - no fair :p

I much prefer the second version - but agree a tighter crop, whilst maintaining all the gnomon would be better!

Shame that the squirrel is soft cos that'd be a lovely shot otherwise!

And new I love the sculpture - but think that a less tight crop and a touch of straigtening would improve it.

BTW week for me ends midnight on Sunday! :D

Thank-you both for your comments. Soggydiverdan, I do seem to have gone from one extreme to the other dont I. Well, here to learn and improve, thanx mate

The sculpture shot is very good (y)
The sundial has gone from one extreme to the other as you say, I'd agree with the others on the second shot needing a tighter crop to hit the mark but that said it's a good well exposed shot as is, it would just give it that bit extra with the tighter crop (y)

Not much to add to others comments I'm afraid, agree with all of them

so - welcome to TP I look forward to seeing more

Simon.

Hi Martin, welcome to TP and the 52 challenge. Great start you've made.(y)

Week 1: lovely shot with really nice composition. Focus is out a bit and for me it's rather overexposed.

Week 2: very atmospheric night scene. The sculpture is a great subject and I like the line of lights leading into the distance. For me, the angle doesn't look right. I think it needs to be either level or at more of an angle so it's obvious that's what you were aiming for.

Week 3: the second version of the sundial is a really nice pic. Well composed and the angle really works. Nice depth of field. The sundial itself is slightly overexposed so you are losing some detail in the stone.

Looking forward to seeing your week 4.

Last edited:
Hiya Martin,

Welcome to TP and the 52 challenge. Wow I am impressed that you have caught up on 3 weeks of themes so quickly, hats off to you.

I like all three of your images as each depicts the theme well. Especially like your take on the New and Style themes, and have to say I prefer the first image of the Style pics, although I also like the second image, just think the first stands out more for me.

Good luck with the rest of your project and I look forward to seeing your images.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thanks for the nice welcome Dawn.
Already I am learning from the advice on here and taking on board the techniques of those more experienced. This is the sort of forum I was looking for. Looking forward to the rest of the 52 and getting to know everyone better.

Martin

I've had to wait till today to get my challenge for Open done, as my conceived idea from the start was dependent on a specific location. Kirkstall Abbey in Leeds. I was also relying on blue sky and white fluffy clouds. The latter of which was absent.
I took the precaution of having a couple of back-ups just in case. Both ideas I like but am happier with my Abbey Idea.

Back-up 1

zipopen by martinchargreaves, on Flickr

Back-up 2

openbud by martinchargreaves, on Flickr

My Submission for Open

open by martinchargreaves, on Flickr

Hiya Martin,

Well you have my temperature rising with the first image :naughty: and think that is the best shot and should be your submission for this weeks theme!!!!

It far surpasses the other two images. Infact I don't really like your second backup at all, sorry :crying:

As for the Abbey, I can see the open aspect of it, but it doesn't intice me like the first image :D

Forgive me please....... but defo the 1st image for me. Very sexy, even if it wasn't on you at the time :D

Great take on the theme, now I have hopes of what the theme for week 5 will be :p

:LOL:

Cheers

martin, i can see the concept with the Abbey as i was trying for Open landscaped areas, but dull weather simply made then all look the same.. least you had blue skies, but i do think it isn't balanced in some way. I do like the zipper. sadly the bud doesn't spark the same as the other two.

i love your week 2, the scuplture. even if it wasn't intentional i like the way you caught the rails snaking off into the distance, and the street lighting has a warm glow that isn't overpowering..

(y)

Hiya Martin,

Well you have my temperature rising with the first image :naughty: and think that is the best shot and should be your submission for this weeks theme!!!!

It far surpasses the other two images. Infact I don't really like your second backup at all, sorry :crying:

As for the Abbey, I can see the open aspect of it, but it doesn't intice me like the first image :D

Forgive me please....... but defo the 1st image for me. Very sexy, even if it wasn't on you at the time :D

Great take on the theme, now I have hopes of what the theme for week 5 will be :p

:LOL:

Cheers

Thanks Dawn, I have never had an image referred to as sexy before.:)
I think the reason I didnt go with the zip primarily was cos it was so simple and quick i didn't think it had artistic merit. Just goes to show, the simplest of things can be effective. I,m glad I put up my back-ups now cos it seems image 1 is the fave judging by yours and SamuelSlade007s feedback.
Good luck with the next element of the challenge and thanks for everything you do for tp. I can see from comments that everyone appreciates all the work you put into this forum. :clap:

Thanks Dawn, I have never had an image referred to as sexy before.:)
I think the reason I didnt go with the zip primarily was cos it was so simple and quick i didn't think it had artistic merit. Just goes to show, the simplest of things can be effective. I,m glad I put up my back-ups now cos it seems image 1 is the fave judging by yours and SamuelSlade007s feedback.
Good luck with the next element of the challenge and thanks for everything you do for tp. I can see from comments that everyone appreciates all the work you put into this forum. :clap:

Hiya Martin,

Well there is a first time for everything, and I do think you are onto a good thing with your zip image.

Sometimes the simple and quick efforts are the ones that pay off, so well done.

Thank you for your well wishes for the next theme and for your compliments of the effort I have put into adding to this challenge. I hope the spreadsheet and comments are of use to you.

Good luck too with the rest of your project.

Cheers

martin, i can see the concept with the Abbey as i was trying for Open landscaped areas, but dull weather simply made then all look the same.. least you had blue skies, but i do think it isn't balanced in some way. I do like the zipper. sadly the bud doesn't spark the same as the other two.

i love your week 2, the scuplture. even if it wasn't intentional i like the way you caught the rails snaking off into the distance, and the street lighting has a warm glow that isn't overpowering..

(y)

Thanks for commenting Kev. It takes a fresh pair of eyes sometimes to see something and I can now see what you you mean by the Abbey picture looking imbalanced. I know it has nothing to do with symmetry alone. I think it could be down to the different texture and colour on the left hand side.
I love this sort of feedback cos I wanna be better. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
With the sculpture in week 2 the credit for the snaking rails goes to the artist. Wherever you stand you can see them. The only poor side to view is at 90 degrees to this shot as it encompasses the Inland revenue office block. (trust them doom and gloom merchants to set up in a place of artistic interest lol)

Thanks,
Martin

Agree with Dawn, the zip is your better image. Keep up the good work on your project.

Thanks for dropping by Ceri.
That seems to be the general consensus.
I,m not gonna edit my post though and put it as my 52 image for this week cos its out there anyway. It might teach me in future that if I think something is too simple to do to be appreciated then go with it anyway.

I appreciate your comment,
Thanx :)

Martin

i love the open image number 1 superb well thought out (y)

It seems from feedback that should have been my submission, Ah well.
My thirteen year old stepson was hanging around when I did that shoot and was adamant I should go with it. I,ll bite the bullet and tell him he was right.

Ok, why have I posted this with still a week left on this theme. Well, the idea came into my head as soon as I saw the theme, and last week taught me don't dismiss something just because it was a simple idea and the first thing you thought of. Between now and next weekend a hundred and one other ideas will come to me and I will end up way off track. So this is it..... HARD

times8 by martinchargreaves, on Flickr

Nice shot and that was my 2nd choice if people don't like the one I have posted this afternoon.

Hi ya

great idea & lovely shot (y)
Maybe just cropped a touch to much bottom left corner but still loads better than I could have done !

Thanx for stopping by Lynne.

Don,t undersell yourself it is no better than you could have done. I see what you mean about it being cropped too tightly at the bottom. I was busy looking at the top of the paper lol, and didn't want to go too far out and lose the quality of the text. But admittedly I missed my attention to that that bottom corner. I am here to learn.Thanx

Martin :)

Ok, why have I posted this with still a week left on this theme. Well, the idea came into my head as soon as I saw the theme, and last week taught me don't dismiss something just because it was a simple idea and the first thing you thought of. Between now and next weekend a hundred and one other ideas will come to me and I will end up way off track. So this is it..... HARD

times8 by martinchargreaves, on Flickr

exactly what's as been happening to me every week i think of something then dismiss it because i did not give it enough thought , this week like you bang! just came to me. like the idea nice a light good shot

exactly what's as been happening to me every week i think of something then dismiss it because i did not give it enough thought , this week like you bang! just came to me. like the idea nice a light good shot

Yeah, I showed my back-up shot and it was liked more than my final submission lol

nice interpretation of the theme :) in fact my other half said 'get the times crossword'!!!!

would like to have seen a bit more dof on this one, and maybe a lower viewpoint, but otherwise well lit and excellent idea! :)

Like it. I'm useless at crosswords.

I did this, though, and how strange that the answer to 27 across was actually 'hard'...

lol, did you check?? :LOL:

The crossword is good, although I think Sudoku is much harder.

I bet Dawn is disappointed now considering her comments on your zip shot!

I toyed with shooting the Sudoku from the Times but they looked a bit too obvious on theme cos they each contained the headings Hard and Very Hard

I couldnt advance on the zip shot without been thrown off tp, lol

nice interpretation of the theme :) in fact my other half said 'get the times crossword'!!!!

would like to have seen a bit more dof on this one, and maybe a lower viewpoint, but otherwise well lit and excellent idea! :)

Thanks Maria for your constructive advice.
I thought of the crossword immediately on seeing the theme.

Martin :)

Hiya Martin,

Wow! Quick off the mark there, well done!

<snip>I bet Dawn is disappointed now considering her comments on your zip shot!

Wouldn't say disappointed ..... more relieved as I hesitate to think what one could have come up with for this theme to compliment the one mentioned :naughty: I'm still recovering from '14 across' .... ok I better :muted: now before they :lock: me up .... :exit:

<snip>I couldnt advance on the zip shot without been thrown off tp, lol

Good boy :p

As for this weeks photo, I like the idea as some of these crosswords can be very hard. Pity you didn't get the 27 across in the shot, and the pen pointing to the word, that would have been great.

As has been mentioned about the crop, I agree.

Otherwise it is a nice clear shot.

Well done :clap:

Now I have to put my thinking cap on for this one, have been toying with some ideas today, but feel a bit lost for inspiration on this one so it may take me a day or two to come up with something.

Cheers

Back