Marwell bans scooters

Matthew, I am not in complete agreement, but for a lot of the time and at many venues, you are spot on.

Dave

Being fairer, so often the problem is the parents of children.

Matthew, I am not in complete agreement, but for a lot of the time and at many venues, you are spot on.

Dave

Being fairer, so often the problem is the parents of children.

Oh I agree comepletely any problem of the child the root cause is usual as a result of the actions or inaction of the parents, that said I was being somewhat flippant...

However because I can unless it's a special event if I'm visiting somewhere like this or pretty much any tourist attraction I'll tend to visit in the week so as to avoid the vast majority of sproglets (y)

Just been reading some of the comments on FB. Predictably amusing.

That's what the monopod's for, I keep it nice & sharp. ;)

:LOL:
they-dont-like-it-up-em-tshirt.jpg

Nice one, wish more would do the same (y)

Marwell scooter ban

About blo8dy time!!

I went to Marwell a couple of years back and I can only describe it as an ordeal. I've been to plenty of parks and attractions but I have to say that Marwell was the worst - absolutely teeming with hordes of uncontrolled children, with very little in the way of parental intervention. The constant din of all the screaming was probably the worst - it was impossible to find a quiet corner, even behind a building. And as for those s*dding scooters - my ankles have been black and blue from those things. If a child isn't able to walk a certain distance then they should be ensconced in a pushchair, and the scooter should be reserved for play in non-congested localities. During my visit to this particular venue I asked a staff member if they ever had adults only days, and the bloke looked at me like I was the Antichrist :rolleyes:

Yep these things should be banned, you don't need them in zoos/wildlife parks etc.
I don't dislike kids, but screaming, out of control kids at these attractions really can ruin your day out.
It totally annoys me that many of the parents seem to think it's their right to allow their kids to carry on exactly how they like regardless of the effect it has on other people.
Recently I saw a small child ram one of these scooters into the legs of an elderly woman, the parents didn't even apologise or seem concerned that the woman could have been injured, they looked at the upset woman
as if she was in the wrong for being there in the first place.

It totally annoys me that many of the parents seem to think it's their right to allow their kids to carry on exactly how they like regardless of the effect it has on other people.
Nail. Hit. On. The. Head.

I would also add Grandparents. Was in Kew for the Orchids and the place was teeming with huge family groups, I avoided them by going to see the Crocuses instead....

I should add Barnes (London) Wetlands Centre has banned the scooters now

Nail. Hit. On. The. Head.

I would also add Grandparents. Was in Kew for the Orchids and the place was teeming with huge family groups, I avoided them by going to see the Crocuses instead....

I should add Barnes (London) Wetlands Centre has banned the scooters now

I think we'd all agree these places should be for everyone and as I've stated I have nothing against children. It is the parents, they all seem to think by producing kids they have performed some sort of miracle and the rest of the world
will be inconvenienced because of their deeds.
Actually I think some of these organisations only want families to visit, WWT Slimbridge has virtually been turned into an adventure playground, there are so many areas designated for kids it's frankly disturbing.
I was sat on a bench there recently taking photographs and the noise levels from the kids screaming was unbelieveable. I also wondered what Sir Peter Scott would have made of how things have evolved.
Occasionally you witness a more intelligent form of parent trying to educate their kids, these are in the minority unfortunately.
Grand parents can be even worse, lol.

Last edited:
I was at Arundel Wetlands on Saturday and the running kids were an utter pain in the butt, worse still on the boat ride which took you quietly around the reeds with a chance to see kingfishers and voles, well that would have been the case if it wasn't for the screamers in the boat in front of us, partly the kids and partly the parents screaming at them to be quiet.
Fortunately the guy steering out boat was good enough to circle round again after them and give us a second chance during which we were able to see the kingfisher.

Bad parenting, mine were quiet and enjoying the surroundings.

Paul, I too was at Arundel Wetlands on Saturday - I gave up on having a boat ride for the same reason. I was walking along the path which runs alongside the reedbeds where the boat goes, and at one point I could barely hear myself think because there was a child in the boat screaming its head off and the parents didn't appear to be doing anything other than smile endearingly at it. I felt sorry for the other passengers. I resent the way that some parents feel that the rest of us have to just suck it up. A few years ago I placed an embargo on anyone bringing young children to my home because I grew sick and tired of the way in which the parents allowed their offspring to trash my property, without apology or restitution - whilst I am expected to sit there and put up with it 'because they're just being kids'.

That's an excellent idea
I've not seen them at Chester zoo maybe they are banned there anyway
most mums and kids are ok but it can be frustrating when their kids are running round screaming and out of control
Was packed with the little buggers ladt week at the zoo schools were off

Last edited:
I avoided Slimbridge last week as it was half term. This week it should be nice and quiet, fingers crossed!

I resent the way that some parents feel that the rest of us have to just suck it up. .

I ran a winter waders bird watching walk on the Exe estuary in january, and I actually asked one set of parents to leave because their horrible screaming brat was running arround shouting at the top of his voice ... their response was "he's just having fun" , and my response to that was "theres a play park near the station if he wants to run arround screaming take him there"

That occasioned a letter of complaint , but it also occasioned 3 letters of commendation from other participants who were very happy to see us not tolerating it :)

I'm really glad you did that Pete. I just think it's a shame that most people feel they can't say anything when confronted with inappropriate or disruptive behaviour. There is usually a backlash from parents who won't accept that their little darling can do wrong. This whole mindset has pervaded much of our society, particularly schools who have mostly abandoned discipline and hence created a generation of youngsters who know there will be no sanctions if they misbehave. In turn, I think a lot of parents are nervous about disciplining their child in case they are seen as infringing the human rights of a minor - or curtailing the child's 'spirited' personality.

With all that said, I do see some signs our society is getting fed up with it (if not the venues and institutions we visit) - as evidenced by the overwhelming support for the decision taken by Marwell. My hope is that the pendulum will slowly start to swing the other way and it will no longer be a hanging offence for children to be told off and controlled in public!

There is usually a backlash from parents who won't accept that their little darling can do wrong. !

Indeed - i think i've mentioned before about the incident a couple of summers ago where parent was lifting their odious devil spawn up so he could reach to draw on our brand new interpretation sign with a marker pen :bat: - when challenged she said "oh but he's on holiday" - :mad:

Don't get me wrong i have no problem with kids in the outdoors - indeed much of what we do is about reconnecting children with nature - but theirs a difference between a child on a bird walk who's a bit excitable about what he's seeing (that happens a lot, especially when you let them use the really expensive telescope to see up close) , and the one who's not remotely interested and just wants to run arround screaming and pretending to be a jet fighter

and yes i recognise that kids need to let off steam (and some of our events on appropriate sites are fine for that ) but theres a time and a place , and a nature reserve isnt it

The excuse that really boils my p*** is "oh but he's only 5 he doesnt know any better" yeah i know, but you at '20 whatever' really ought to you irresponsible halfwitted excuse for a parent

Last edited:
What I find disappointing is the manner in which Marwell were repeatedly apologising for their decision. That tells me that they are saying something like this: 'we are a locality absolutely and solely geared up to children and families but unfortunately we are having to pay lip service to an irritating group of childfree adults who have been pressuring us to ban scooters, and unfortunately we have to pander to these killjoys'. In fact that's exactly how I felt when I went to Marwell. I thought the staff were really nice, but at one point I was chatting to a lady about my interest in animals and photography - it was immediately suggested that I would probably want to volunteer some time to get involved with the children who visit in groups over the summer. There was an outright message that children are an absolute priority there and that we should all acknowledge that. When I responded that I would happily get involved with an adults only day the look I was treated to said ' .... WTF?'.

What I find disappointing is the manner in which Marwell were repeatedly apologising for their decision. That tells me that they are saying something like this: 'we are a locality absolutely and solely geared up to children and families but unfortunately we are having to pay lip service to an irritating group of childfree adults who have been pressuring us to ban scooters, and unfortunately we have to pander to these killjoys'. In fact that's exactly how I felt when I went to Marwell. I thought the staff were really nice, but at one point I was chatting to a lady about my interest in animals and photography - it was immediately suggested that I would probably want to volunteer some time to get involved with the children who visit in groups over the summer. There was an outright message that children are an absolute priority there and that we should all acknowledge that. When I responded that I would happily get involved with an adults only day the look I was treated to said ' .... WTF?'.

course it does also depend on which member of staff you talk to - i'd guess you got one of the education types, I remember being at marwell on a photo day (which involved evening access after closing hours) and the keeper who was with us saying how nice it was to get away from all the 'screaming little brats'

Incidentally marwell has a photo group and full members can attend out and about sessions in the summer that give you 2-3 hours of access before it opens to the public - of course these arent guranteed to be adults only, but its likely that any kids present will be of the 'well behaved and interested' variety.

The other thing i supose is that banning scooters etc isnt just about 'pandering to adult killjoys' a lot of parents might prefer little jonny or jenny to be looking at the animals (which is why they've paid a shed load of cash for admission) rather than running/scooting about screaming which they could do at the local rec

Edited:
As a parent of three young children I think banning scooters etc at any attraction like this is a good idea. I don't understand why people let their kids bring them in the first place. Tbh I've never really had trouble with scooters etc on days out but the last thing I need is some kid ploughing into one of mine while we're trying too have a day out. If your kids want to rid these things take them too the park. You go too the zoo to look at animals and also let kids play in their play areas, gives us time for a cuppa ;)

Regarding parents not controling their kids it is difficult. We were at Dartmoor zoo a few weekends back and mine were running around while I took photos, by this time most people had gone home, but I did have a go at them because they were getting too rowdy and noisy. The thing is then I felt like I was making a scene. My wife said to me that at least people could see I was trying to contol our kids. But there is the problem. Shouting parents or naughty kids? I only shouted so they could hear me though.

We constantly look out for our kids even while they are in the play areas, to make sure they are behaving but also too make sure they are safe. Thing is we are out for a nice day and the last thing we want to do is ruin someone else's day out. You need to let kids have fun, but with consideration for others.

Last edited:
One more thing after reading further. We were at Paignton Zoo by the red pandas. I was trying too remove a new memory card from its packaging that I had just run back too the carpark to get, which involves lots of hills so I wasn't in the best mood. As my attention was on removing said card from the most secure packaging in the world un be known to me my boy who must've been four at the time, was walking around a sapling while holding it so bending it right over. The first I heard was a group of adults having a right go at him for doing it. So I had a go back at them. I told them that if they had told me so I could deal with it he'd have been in a lot of trouble but because they had a go at him, and they really did have a go, I wasn't going to bother, although I did when they'd gone. My point is that not all us parents think the sun shines out our kids backsides and if you have a polite word you are more likely to get a result, especially if we are unaware what they are doing. I won't stand for people telling my kids off when I'm stood there, and it was obvious he was part of my group.

Last edited:
One more thing after reading further. We were at Paignton Zoo by the red pandas. I was trying too remove a new memory card from its packaging that I had just run back too the carpark to get, which involves lots of hills so I wasn't in the best mood. As my attention was on removing said card from the most secure packaging in the world un be known to me my boy who must've been four at the time, was walking around a sapling while holding it so bending it right over. The first I heard was a group of adults having a right go at him for doing it. So I had a go back at them. I told them that if they had told me so I could deal with it he'd have been in a lot of trouble but because they had a go at him, and they really did have a go, I wasn't going to bother, although I did when they'd gone. My point is that not all us parents think the sun shines out our kids backsides and if you have a polite word you are more likely to get a result, especially if we are unaware what they are doing. I won't stand for people telling my kids off when I'm stood there, and it was obvious he was part of my group.

to be honest if that was one of our saplings i'd have told him to leave it the hell alone too - no offence but parents shouldnt be 'unaware' of what their kids are doing, especially when they are doing something they shouldn't be.

to be honest if that was one of our saplings i'd have told him to leave it the hell alone too - no offence but parents shouldnt be 'unaware' of what their kids are doing, especially when they are doing something they shouldn't be.
If only we could be but its not always that easy I'm afraid.

If only we could be but its not always that easy I'm afraid.

this isnt a personal go at you - but as a ranger i get heartily sick of parents not keeping an eye on little jonny or jenny and 'not noticing' that they are breaking trees, drawing on signs, lighting fires and/or generally being a pain in the arse to those arround them. Imo its the parents predominant duty to keep an eye on those too young to know how to behave responsibly and the bring up the older ones properly so they do know how to behave.

the 'oh but i was 'opening my memory card, taking photos, putting on make up, answering my phone, staring vacantly into space, contemplating my navel etc' excuse doesnt cut it with me - all of those are or should be secondary to keeping an eye on the little darlings , bot for the good of those arround them and for their own good (supose for example rather than vandalising a sapling your 4 year old had been sticking his fingers in the red panda enclosure - pandas bite. )

I had a guy last summer who was too busy taking landscape photos that he hadnt noticed that his son had climbed halfway down a cliff , and now couldnt get back up and was in danger of falling off... that one necessitated a coast guard call out to send an abseiler down to get him, and the deployment of a lifeboat to fish him out if he did fall... not to mention god knows how many hours of my time wasted coordinating the whole thing.

Imo if someone wants to put their full attention on something other than looking after the child they should leave the child with their partner, or with a child minder or whatever

this isnt a personal go at you - but as a ranger i get heartily sick of parents not keeping an eye on little jonny or jenny and 'not noticing' that they are breaking trees, drawing on signs, lighting fires and/or generally being a pain in the arse to those arround them. Imo its the parents predominant duty to keep an eye on those too young to know how to behave responsibly and the bring up the older ones properly so they do know how to behave.

the 'oh but i was 'opening my memory card, taking photos, putting on make up, answering my phone, staring vacantly into space, contemplating my navel etc' excuse doesnt cut it with me - all of those are or should be secondary to keeping an eye on the little darlings , bot for the good of those arround them and for their own good (supose for example rather than vandalising a sapling your 4 year old had been sticking his fingers in the red panda enclosure - pandas bite. )

I had a guy last summer who was too busy taking landscape photos that he hadnt noticed that his son had climbed halfway down a cliff , and now couldnt get back up and was in danger of falling off... that one necessitated a coast guard call out to send an abseiler down to get him, and the deployment of a lifeboat to fish him out if he did fall... not to mention god knows how many hours of my time wasted coordinating the whole thing.

Imo if someone wants to put their full attention on something other than looking after the child they should leave the child with their partner, or with a child minder or whatever
Oh I agree, but it doesn't take long and we were in a safe environment. The wall for the red pandas was higher than him at the time. I like to think that we are good at watching our kids, but they are kids and funnily enough they do childish things. Yes I should've been watching him. But its impossible too do 100% of the time. The reason I mentioned it is because not all parents think their kids can do what they like and if you have a problem speak to the parents. If the group of adults shouting at my boiy had just shouted 'excuse me, your boy is swinging on the sapling' I'd have thanked them and completely bollocked the boy. He is my child.

... if you have a problem speak to the parents. If the group of adults shouting at my boiy had just shouted 'excuse me, your boy is swinging on the sapling' I'd have thanked them and completely bollocked the boy. He is my child.

Unfortunately a lot of parents don't care that their children are damaging someone else's property. Over the years my property has been damaged by children, often with the parents standing right next to them. If the parent isn't around, or isn't prepared to discipline their child then I feel that I am well within my rights to politely tell the child to stop. I can think of so many occasions when I have been left fuming by this kind of thing.

Unfortunately a lot of parents don't care that their children are damaging someone else's property. Over the years my property has been damaged by children, often with the parents standing right next to them. If the parent isn't around, or isn't prepared to discipline their child then I feel that I am well within my rights to politely tell the child to stop. I can think of so many occasions when I have been left fuming by this kind of thing.
Oh I told him off. And yes I should've been watching. It was the way they went about having a proper go at him when I was a stood there. If I hadn't been there or had seen him but not done anything then fair enough. He didn't damage the tree though.

So here I was, sat composing a post about my biker days and how important it was to wear the correct protective clothing because skin can be ripped from the bone very easily even at slow speeds, I was going to comment on teenagers riding around on 125cc scooters with flimsy clothing but I had to delete the entire lot cos I realised that you mean those bloody annoying self propelled kiddie scooters! :confused:

Last edited:
Terrible isn't it kids out in the open air getting plenty of exercise dashing about on their scooters, should be bloody kept indoors chained to their ps4'S or XB1'S ;)

Terrible isn't it kids out in the open air getting plenty of exercise dashing about on their scooters, should be bloody kept indoors chained to their ps4'S or XB1'S ;)

As ever you forgot the important bit "Pi$$ing everyone else off" but then again as long as you had a good time :rolleyes: :meh: :indifferent:

As ever you forgot the important bit "Pi$$ing everyone else off" but then again as long as you had a good time :rolleyes: :meh: :indifferent:
Good time! I think you've mistaken me for someone else, I'm well past the day's of bombing around on a scooter :LOL:

If I hadn't been there or had seen him but not done anything then fair enough. He didn't damage the tree though.

What is the fascination for saplings?? I had a similar experience a long time ago, except it was a dog. I had no idea the dog had a fetish for young trees - until I walked it in some woodland and saw it a wrench a newly planted sapling out of the ground. I couldn't get to it in time to prevent the carnage (no other word for it). The sapling couldn't be replanted because the end had been bitten off. There followed some impromptu exercise whilst I retrieved my purse to compensate the groundsman, who understandably took a dim view. So I can relate to how you might have felt ;)

Anyway, I had an experience today when I visited a local animal Park to view a couple of new arrivals. I will say that the children and families I encountered were normal courteous people, but with one glaring exception. I encountered a child (a girl of around five years old) who was literally screaming at the top of her lungs every few seconds for absolutely no reason - I'd heard her from the car park on my way in. It was clearly an ingrained habit. As my visit got underway I encountered this child who let out one of these screams about 5 feet away from me and it was literally agonising, given the decibel and frequency rating. I yelped and clamped my hands over my ears, and one of the parents who saw my reaction gave the child a mild reprimand which the kid totally ignored. I carried on walking but the screaming followed. It was doing my head in. I couldn't see the parents anywhere in sight, so I walked up to the child and gave her a stern glare. She got the message instantly and didn't shriek again. But I spent the rest of my afternoon with a dull pounding pain and a ringing noise in my right ear - which is still giving me discomfort.

Back