Mathmatics

Mike Aiken said:
Hi all

I keep reading from time to time the phrase "100% crop", can someone explain this please, as it doesnt make sense to me :ponders: :ponders:

Mike
I'm glad somebody else has finally asked this. I don't feel like such a spanner now. :D

The term is used when someone takes a crop & shows it at 100% in final shot (eg. not resized). Eg. Crop a 3000 x 2000 down to a 800 x 600 section & show this as 800 x 600 in final shot. Only method to show true sharpness of a lens on a monitor screen.

I've always seen it as what's been described in the thread, couldn't see it being anything else personally :)

Basically it's a crop of a shot, shown at 100% zoom.

So if you crop a shot to 800x600 pixels, then show it at 100%.....on an 800x600 screen it should fill the screen, hence a 100% crop.

Normally a shot isn't shown big enough to fill the screen, but you get the jist, it's basically a 100% zoom on the shot, and shown as is.

What they said.

It's a bit more obvious if you look at the image scale in your viewer program. Look at a 5mp or more digicam pic at 'full size' or 100% and you will have to scroll it about the screen to see it all. You are seeing all the fine detail there is though as the viewer has not scaled the picture for the screen.

Back